December 2010 Moms

if and when ears pierced?

Just wondering if any of you are planning on getting your LO's ears pierced one day. When would you be doing it? I had mine done when I was a baby but I don't think I can do that to my little girl. It sure would be cute but thats about it. One day I would like to have it done. Just not sure when.

So what are your thoughts on this?

Re: if and when ears pierced?

• i'm thinking when she's about a year old. i had mine done as a baby too - i think its more traumatizing for little kids who are old enough to understand whats going on. with a baby you can just pop a bottle in right after and they'll be ok.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had mine when I was 5 and my Mom made it a whole Mother/Daughter big deal thing... I thought I was SO COOL! I have a boy but if I had a girl I'd wait until she's big enough to make it kind of a 'rite of passage' sort of thing like my Mom did. We had a girls day and she took me to lunch and everything... it was really special. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • When she is old enough to ask to have them done. That is what my mom did with me and that is what I did with my older daughter. DD#1 was around 7 when she wanted hers done.

• image JulietL129:
    I had mine when I was 5 and my Mom made it a whole Mother/Daughter big deal thing... I thought I was SO COOL! I have a boy but if I had a girl I'd wait until she's big enough to make it kind of a 'rite of passage' sort of thing like my Mom did. We had a girls day and she took me to lunch and everything... it was really special. 

This is what we did too. DD#1 and I had a special day together and she still tells me that was one of her favorite days ever.

• DD's pedi did hers at 10 weeks. My pedi said around 2-3 months is the best time because they are unaware of it, won't remember it, and are too little to play with the earrings. And by the time they are old enough to touch them, they won't b/c they won't know they are there. We've NEVER had a problem with DD's ears getting infected or anythng and she never bothers with them.
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would never ever pierce a babies ears.  first of all I think it looks tacky, second of all you don't know if she even wants pierced ears or not and third of all I HATE when people use the excuse that it's "less traumatizing" when they're a baby.  I'm sorry, but getting your ears pierced doesn't hurt that goddamn bad.   if anything it's more traumatizing for a baby because they don't understand what the fvck is going on, where as with an older child who wants them pierced she knows she has to go through the little bit of pain and IMO gets to make the choice as to whether or not it's worth it to her.

and I agree with PPs that it should be a rite of passage sort of thing.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • When she is old enough to ask for them. I also plan on doing a mother/daughter day (I still remember the day my mother took me).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If I ever have a girl I plan to do what my parents did. My sister and I had to wait until we were 10 years old. Something special for our "double digit" birthday. But... When I turned 10 my parent said I wasn't responsible enough to care for pierced ears because I couldn't keep my room clean. I had to wait another 6 mo after I could prove I could keep my room clean (or at least 'more' clean, haha).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image JulietL129:
    I had mine when I was 5 and my Mom made it a whole Mother/Daughter big deal thing... I thought I was SO COOL! I have a boy but if I had a girl I'd wait until she's big enough to make it kind of a 'rite of passage' sort of thing like my Mom did. We had a girls day and she took me to lunch and everything... it was really special. 
    This is what we did, but when we turned 8. I have an older sister and I remember waiting and waiting til it was my turn. It was such a special day with my mom, I want to have that memory with G too, if she wants them pierced.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image flgirl79:

image JulietL129:

This is what we did too. DD#1 and I had a special day together and she still tells me that was one of her favorite days ever.

we did this too, once I had "earned it", my mom and my sister went with me. My dad bought me a "nice" pair of gold earings that I had to wear for 6 mo. He wanted to make sure my ears didn't get infected before I was allowed to switch them out every day with fun colored plasticy ones.
    I still remember walking thru the mall with my mom and my sister afterwards. I felt soooo grownup, I remember my face hurt from smiling :)
  • When she is old enough to tell me she wants them and is at least 8 years old maybe. My husbands family SOOO want to take her to get her ears pierced. Um no. I don't know of that is more of a cultural thing (they are hispanic) but I didn't get mine until I was 12. I agree it looks super tacky for baby to have pierced ears. Like how vain are your parents? Really?
  • I had to wait until I was 12.  My mom and I went together and it's a nice memory.  I will probably do the same with Genna if she wants hers pierced.

I agree with BOTB - I don't know why people think it's less traumatizing for a baby.  They don't understand what's happening or why they're in pain :(

image image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image babyonthebrain2010:

I would never ever pierce a babies ears.  first of all I think it looks tacky, second of all you don't know if she even wants pierced ears or not and third of all I HATE when people use the excuse that it's "less traumatizing" when they're a baby.  I'm sorry, but getting your ears pierced doesn't hurt that goddamn bad.   if anything it's more traumatizing for a baby because they don't understand what the fvck is going on, where as with an older child who wants them pierced she knows she has to go through the little bit of pain and IMO gets to make the choice as to whether or not it's worth it to her.

Yeah, it's like a second of pain. It wasn't at all "traumatizing" for me when I was little, I remember getting it done. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

I would never ever pierce a babies ears.  first of all I think it looks tacky, second of all you don't know if she even wants pierced ears or not and third of all I HATE when people use the excuse that it's "less traumatizing" when they're a baby.  I'm sorry, but getting your ears pierced doesn't hurt that goddamn bad.   if anything it's more traumatizing for a baby because they don't understand what the fvck is going on, where as with an older child who wants them pierced she knows she has to go through the little bit of pain and IMO gets to make the choice as to whether or not it's worth it to her.

ITA

I can assure you that my older DD was not traumatized by having her ears pierced. She decided on her own to get them done and we talked about how it would hurt for a second. I made sure she knew that she would have to take care of them so she wouldn't get infected and we even watched another kid have her ears pierced before deciding.

DD barely flinched when it was done and she was more excited about it than anything.

• image flgirl79:

image JulietL129:

All if this. I don't have a set age in mind, but she'll have to be old enough to ask and responsible enough to take care of them herself.
    Honor3 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • There is no way in hell that E will get her ears pierced before she is in the 4th grade. I did the whole mom/daughter day with my mom and it was so much fun. I was responsible enough to care for them at that age and it was my decision. I did mine in 4th grade (it think around age 10 if I am correct), and it was a perfect age. I look forward to doing it (if she wants to), but would never make that decision for her.

I would never ever pierce a babies ears.  first of all I think it looks tacky, second of all you don't know if she even wants pierced ears or not and third of all I HATE when people use the excuse that it's "less traumatizing" when they're a baby.  I'm sorry, but getting your ears pierced doesn't hurt that damn bad.   if anything it's more traumatizing for a baby because they don't understand what the fvck is going on, where as with an older child who wants them pierced she knows she has to go through the little bit of pain and IMO gets to make the choice as to whether or not it's worth it to her.

This.

I also feel strongly about not piercing a baby's ears. 

Hobbs and I got married July 10, 2009
    BFP #1 9/09 Chris Francis MC
    BFP #2 3/10 Bailey Marie born 12/02/2010
    BFP #3 6/12 Logan Kelly MC
    Photobucket Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    100 Healthy Meal & Snack Ideas for Toddlers

This!  I waited until I was around 14, and had to prove my responsibility first!  Big Smile
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I remember posting about this a while back because my mom made me wait until I was 8(3rd grade) and it was a special time with her.  Then after the wait and being able to change the earring, I will never forget going through her jewelry box and finding this dangly(sp) brownish earring(I can still see it) to change my studs.  It was awesome and I want M to have that with me, if she chooses to get them doneWink

all of this! 1ht

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My baby girl is 9 weeks old and shes getting her shots this week and next week im going to take her and get her ears pierced. I got mine when I was a baby and right now that shes small she cant touch her ears and infect them. I did want to wait until she got her shots though. So yea. I don't know if i'm any help but this is what im doin. My mom did the same with me and my older sister.