3rd Trimester
Options

bringing a newborn to large family gathering?

At what point would you feel comfortable bringing LO to a large family gathering? I am talking like 30-40 people. Easter is about a month after my due date. I just don't know how comfortable I feel with that many people around a 4 week old. Also my family is the type to want see and hold the baby and would drive me INSANE if I just left her napping in a bedroom (checking on her frequently of course). When did you feel comfortable bringing your baby around a large gathering like for a holiday?

** Also if it helps the gathering would be about hour drive away.**

Re: bringing a newborn to large family gathering?

• Options
    I brought DS to a Xmas party around that size at 3 weeks and Xmas when he was just under 6 weeks.  I didn't play pass the baby though and he slept a lot.  Definitely depends on what you are comfortable with and if there are any sick people/flu season.  I plan on bringing this baby to any Easter gathering my family will have and he/she will be about a month+.
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I took my baby to my friends house at 2 weeks thinking it was just her and her husband.  Apparently her parents and some relatives decided to come over.  Everyone wanted to hold the baby (and did) I thought I was going to burst with anxiety.  I'm not sure how I'd feel at four weeks, but probably the same way.  I had trouble bringing her to large gatherings for 3-4 months, but only because she would get over stimulated and cry and cry and cry.  And then I felt like everyone was judging me because my baby wouldn't let anyone hold her, they all said I needed to get out of the house more and socialize her.  It was hell for me. 

But that could just be my personality.  So if you're anxious about it already, it might not work out so well, but I would just play it by ear and see how you're feeling a week before.  No one can blame you for saying you're not going the week before, you're a new mom.  =) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We started taking DS out almost immediately, or as soon as I recovered enough to move around. I was taking him out of the house as early as a week old.

At 11 days old, we went on a private scenic train ride for my grandparents' 50th anniversary. There were at least 20 people, and other kids. And very loud music.

He slept the whole time.

ETA: Not to mention Memorial Day Picnic at my grandparents' where there is always like 50 people! I think he was only a few days old even!! Maybe that makes me a bad parent..? But he does well around everyone. I think it's good to start them early.

Also, he went on a 6 hour road trip to Upstate NY for my cousin's wedding at 6 weeks old. It was great!

• Options

I brought DD to a Christmas party when she was like 3 weeks old or so and to 2 weddings when she was 7 weeks and then 9 weeks. I didn't let a lot of people hold her and if they even looked sick they had to stay away.

It's all about your comfort level. If you want to go but want people to keep their hands off, wear the baby in a wrap or carrier so they can't take baby from you easily.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Options
    I am taking my LO when it's a month old to a wedding.
    Mom of 3 (Ginny 4 yrs old), (Miles 2 yrs old), and (Mason due June 15th) 
  • Options

It depends on how comfortable you are.

My cousin had a baby 4 days before Thanksgiving and my entire family (about 35 people) get together for Thanksgiving every year and stay in the same house for 4 days.  I was a little surprised that she was there just because she was still recovering from labor.  The baby was past around a lot but everyone washed their hands before touching the baby and no one was sick so that wasn't an issue.

I wouldn't be bothered by it either.  I don't know that I would have gone 4 days after having a baby but I would probably go after a few weeks. 

imageimageimageimage
  • Options

My brother's wedding is about 6 weeks after my EDD.  We will definitely be going, but we will have our own space to retreat to when we need it.  My immediate family all live in BC, but all of our cousins and grandparents live in Ontario, so we don't see them often. Even though it may be a bit overwhelming at times, it will be really special to see everyone.  Luckily my family is really laid back and I trust that they won't ask to "pass the baby" unless they are offered first.

DH's family is a different story though.  They are a really pushy "I want to hold the baby NOW" sort of family.  I would not be comfortable at a gathering with a bunch of them.

Children should be seen, and heard, and believed. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We took DS out immediately.  I was home from the hospital on Friday and Saturday we had a 4th of July party at my aunts...roughly 15 people and Sunday another cookout...roughly 25 people.  Never had any issues as he was either sleeping or eating the whole time.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My best friend's baby shower is the 27th and she will be at most 3 weeks old at that point, if I somehow managed to deliver today (Sunday). I'm still on the fence about it, and will have to decide if I am taking her or not attending after she's born and I see her personality. My other best friend's baby was born four days before Thanksgiving and she attended with no issues.
    Dee, Mommy to: Sofia, born 2/9/11, as well as three dogs, two cats and a multitude of chinchillas. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS was just shy of 4 weeks old on his 1st Easter. We went visiting all day. Big crowds. He basically just slept.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have two comments.

First, a friend of ours had their baby and she was christened two weeks later because that was the best time for people to be able to come from out of town, etc.  Everyone was holding her, feeding her, playing with her, etc. and we're talking about both sides of the family as well as a lot of good friends.

Second, DH's family lives in Louisville, KY and has a HUGE party for the Kentucky Derby every year.  We're talking somewhere around 50 people, maybe more.  We wouldn't miss it for anything and I'm really excited about bringing our baby.  Our baby is going to be the first baby in 9 years :)  I know everyone will be anxious to hold him/her and such, but I'm the momma and I'm breastfeeding, so the baby won't be too far from me, lol.  Derby is always the first weekend of May, so our baby should be around 6 weeks old at that time.  I think 3 weeks is the youngest I would have gone though.  An 8 hour drive is a mighty long trip for a newborn. 

imageimage

"Beanie" Natural 7w MC 11/21/12

"Nole" stopped growing at 7w3d D&E 2/11/13

Diagnosed with MTHFR and Factor V Leiden on 4/3/13

Due with RAINBOW GIRL 2/10/15

• Options
    imageMrsCarroll.6-10-07:

I brought DD to a Christmas party when she was like 3 weeks old or so and to 2 weddings when she was 7 weeks and then 9 weeks. I didn't let a lot of people hold her and if they even looked sick they had to stay away.

It's all about your comfort level. If you want to go but want people to keep their hands off, wear the baby in a wrap or carrier so they can't take baby from you easily.

This is what I am planning on doing. BIL has an Easter brunch every year so we will be going. However, I plan to wear LO in a wrap and will definitely be selective about who holds her (I consider BIL's MIL & BIL "dirty". They have really bad personal hygiene, smoke, etc.)

• Options

We had a "Meet the baby" BBQ set for 2 weeks after my due date. I went a week overdue, so when DD was 1 week old we had about 30-40 people at our house all day.

Besides taking her for feedings, I didn't hold her all day. I'm not really that paranoid about things though so it didn't bother me much. DD went to about 3 parties in her first 3 weeks of life and it was no big deal. Just do what you're comfortable with!

Friendly FYI: Even if you feel good, DO NOT think you can help out with stuff that much. All I did that day was walk around a lot and carry some food, but later that night I was in so much pain, it was like a constant hard contraction or 2 hours and I wanted to die. :D

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"