Babies: 0 - 3 Months

feeding..

anyone breast and formula feed? even after 30minutes of breast feeding he still doesnt seem satisfied, so ive been giving him formula. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: feeding..

• He could be a slow eater and needs to feed for more than that time. 

If that's a no go you could pump into bottles and then give them to him. If you want to use formula because you don't want to pump just know that formula stays in their tummies longer and they don't need as much as they need of breast milk. Also, nipple flow on bottles are much easier and he'll get his milk faster.

Beware though, once you start using bottles he may like them better and not want to go back to breast.

Good Luck. 

• imageKelleyBelly11:

He could be a slow eater and needs to feed for more than that time. 

If that's a no go you could pump into bottles and then give them to him. If you want to use formula because you don't want to pump just know that formula stays in their tummies longer and they don't need as much as they need of breast milk. Also, nipple flow on bottles are much easier and he'll get his milk faster.

Beware though, once you start using bottles he may like them better and not want to go back to breast.

Good Luck. 

This exactly!  Supplementing can be a downward spiral for BFing if you aren't careful.  I think that's one of the reasons I lost my milk supply with DS1.  I had to supplement DS2 for a few weeks to help him get back to his birth weight (he lost more than the recommended weight).  Once he got back, I weaned him from the bottles and now I only occasionally offer him a bottle if I BF him and he seems like he's starving a few minutes later and I need a break.  Rarely happens.  I agree with PP, give him more time to eat.  My little guy is slow too.  He almost always needs 30-40 minutes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • well your baby is still young, 1 week, right? at that age i was feeding for 40 mins, pumping for 10-20 right after. the pumped milk from the feed prior we would feed to her as her supplement. my lactation nurse said they are still so small and don't have enough energy sometimes to suck away so we'd supplement pumped milk as she suggested. she said a feed should take 1 hr including the pump, burp and a change of the diaper. but i always was a little longer. so 30 mins to me doesn't seem like very long...and yes it will start to be shorter and more powerful feeds were it won't last as long as you won't have to pump all the time. i still have 30 min feeds sometimes and DD is almost 2 months old

good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"