Parenting after 35
Options

Teeth or tantrum?

Sorry I haven't been active on the boards lately. DH is out of town for 3 weeks and I'm home alone dealing with a baby, 2 active dogs and a bitchy cat. Oh, AND I'm working part-time. Needless to say, it's been an adventure.

So there have been a few nights where Betty Jane has had complete meltdowns. We do our bedtime routine and she goes down fine and then about 1/2 hour later she starts crying. I'll wait 5-10 minutes and then go in to soothe her and as soon as I pick her up she'll calm down and either fall asleep or lay on my shoulder with her eyes open. This same cycle will go on for about 2 hours (ugh!). A couple of nights I thought her teeth were bothering her so I gave her some Tylenol and she went right to sleep. Then last night I noticed that she would sit up (or stand) in her crib, cry, then stop crying so she could here if anyone was walking down the hallway to get her. Finally after an hour of 10 minute checks she fell asleep. Do you think it's teeth or is she throwing a bedtime tantrum? I think it might be a tantrum because she has no problem going down for naps. What do you think? I didn't think tantrums would start at 9 months. Ack!

Re: Teeth or tantrum?

• Options
    IMO, it's either teeth or the change of DH being out of town. Hope she has a better night tonight. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It could be teething.  My son never had a problem napping while teething, but would have issues sleeping through the night.  But a little tylenol or motrin should not hurt at bed time.  Are her hands & toys in her mouth all the time during the day?  That is a sure sign of teething.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagersd12:
    It could be teething.  My son never had a problem napping while teething, but would have issues sleeping through the night.  But a little tylenol or motrin should not hurt at bed time.  Are her hands & toys in her mouth all the time during the day?  That is a sure sign of teething.

She sucks her thumb but nothing out of the ordinary as far as toys and hands in her mouth. Her top teeth do seem a little swollen. The good thing is that once she's asleep, she STTN without any middle of the night wake-ups.

• Options

M did something similiar at about 8 months. It was just a phase for her and we comforted her through it (i.e picked her and soothed her for a few minutes, placed her back in her crib and left her room) and she went back to her normal routine. I think it lasted a week or so and we had to comfort her twice the first few nights, then only once and then not at all. That being said, I would keep an eye on her gums for swelling. For us, Ibuprofin works much better than Tylenol since it reduces swelling and lasts longer. GL

• Options

Not a tantrum for sure - she is too young!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"