Trying to Get Pregnant

period arrival - is it always 14 days post ovulation?

Does the period always happen 14 days post ovulation?

Basically, I know that stress, illness, etc can delay ovulation, but once you ovulate, is your period going to arrive 14 days later regardless? 

Re: period arrival - is it always 14 days post ovulation?

• Nope, your LP can be short, long or vary. Mine is 13-16 days. I think average is 12-16.
    GlitterPhoto GlitterPhoto
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Together since 5/08 ~ Married 6/19/10 ~ TTC #1 since 8/10
    BFP#1 3/26/11 ~ EDD 12/2/11 ~ Ectopic Twins left tube 7w3d
    BFP#2 11/2/11 ~ EDD 7/14/12 ~ Robert Edgar born 7/18/12
    BFP#3 9/28/13 ~ EDD 5/20/14 ~ Benjamin Clarence born 5/15/14
  • No. The LP (luteal phase) is a varying amount of time for everyone. Some ladies have very few days between O and AF while others LP can go for longer than 14 days.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • please pick up a copy of "taking charge of your fertility" .

It's the TTC bible and you should read it.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• imagejb2rn:

please pick up a copy of "taking charge of your fertility" .

I ordered the OPK sticks.  they should be arriving soon.  They will help guide me. 

• It can happen shorter or longer than that. No exact time frame.
  • imagerkto:
    imagejb2rn:

I ordered the OPK sticks.  they should be arriving soon.  They will help guide me. 

not really though. the OPK tells you that you MIGHT ovulate in the next 12-36 hours when you see a +test. Checking CP, CM and other signs can tell you you are about to ovulate, and taking your temp daily will confirm that you did ovulate.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• for me I had a 12 day LP, and my period always arrived on the 13th day after ovulation
    TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • imagejb2rn:
    imagerkto:
    imagejb2rn:

not really though. the OPK tells you that you MIGHT ovulate in the next 12-36 hours when you see a +test. Checking CP, CM and other signs can tell you you are about to ovulate, and taking your temp daily will confirm that you did ovulate.

and I will adopt those things after we have tried for a little while.  so far it has only been 2 months since the IUD was removed. 

• Hi rkto! Nice to see a familiar "face."

I think your luteal phase is more consistent than the follicular phase, but it still can vary. I know that temping/CM checking, etc is the preferred method, but for now, I'm going to just stick with the OPKs. I think it will keep me sane. I'll start temping, etc if we go a few cycles with no luck.

• Hold up a second. Someone said they vary cycle to cycle, but they shouldn't vary by MUCH. Generally, the LP is the consistent part of the cycle. That's how us charters know we're late. If I have a 12 day LP and I get to 14DPO without a period, I know I'm late. If my LP ranged from 12-16 days, I'd constantly be insane and pissing on everything.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • imagebrookelynpaisley:
    Hold up a second. Someone said they vary cycle to cycle, but they shouldn't vary by MUCH. Generally, the LP is the consistent part of the cycle. That's how us charters know we're late. If I have a 12 day LP and I get to 14DPO without a period, I know I'm late. If my LP ranged from 12-16 days, I'd constantly be insane and pissing on everything.

Brooke is so smart!  Yes

Married 08/18/07
    BFP 02/15/11 EDD 10/27/11 Born at 35w3d on 09/25/11 
    BFP 10/13/12 EDD 06/25/13 Born at 37w0d on 06/04/13

BFP 12/11/15 EDD 08/23/16 Early miscarriage

BFP 02/02/16 EDD 10/16/16

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

• i have question myself then, i can not for the life of me pinpoint my ovulation day! i'm 24yrs and had no clue what the whole luteal phase was! and i have 2 kids already! they only thing i do know is that my average cycle is 33 days. but in Dec it was 29 days. I bought the clear blue easy 20 day OPK to start using on the 9th cycle day. i do check my cp and cm but i don't temp. i was told and read in books that by the time your temp has already risen you have ovulated already. i could use a little advice myself!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersimage Photobucket
  • Nope, mine has varied from 12-14 DPO.
    IMG_6388
    Kylie 10/21/08
    Twin Ectopic - lost left tube 12/29/10
    Surprise BFP EDD 8/21/13
  • imagebrookelynpaisley:
    Hold up a second. Someone said they vary cycle to cycle, but they shouldn't vary by MUCH. Generally, the LP is the consistent part of the cycle. That's how us charters know we're late. If I have a 12 day LP and I get to 14DPO without a period, I know I'm late. If my LP ranged from 12-16 days, I'd constantly be insane and pissing on everything.

I meant an average LP for a person to have would be between 12 and 16 days. But I have had LPs ranging from 13-16. And yes, I am constantly insane, but my temp normally drops around 13 or 14, so then I know I am just waiting for AF.

GlitterPhoto GlitterPhoto
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Together since 5/08 ~ Married 6/19/10 ~ TTC #1 since 8/10
    BFP#1 3/26/11 ~ EDD 12/2/11 ~ Ectopic Twins left tube 7w3d
    BFP#2 11/2/11 ~ EDD 7/14/12 ~ Robert Edgar born 7/18/12
    BFP#3 9/28/13 ~ EDD 5/20/14 ~ Benjamin Clarence born 5/15/14
  • No.
  • your luteal phase should be consistent...I know mine is exactly 16 days.  The time pre-ovulation can vary since things like stress or illness may delay ovulation.  I don't take my temperature but I always know exactly when I ovulate based on CM...it is the consistency of egg whites during ovulation.  Getting to know your body will help you understand your cycles and alleviate the unknowns of timing.  If you ovulate late and have a LP shorter than 10 days, you may need medical intervention to get pregnant since implantation occurs between 7-10 days past ovulation and a short LP will inhibit implanting.  
  • imagerachbenn2007:
    i have question myself then, i can not for the life of me pinpoint my ovulation day! i'm 24yrs and had no clue what the whole luteal phase was! and i have 2 kids already! they only thing i do know is that my average cycle is 33 days. but in Dec it was 29 days. I bought the clear blue easy 20 day OPK to start using on the 9th cycle day. i do check my cp and cm but i don't temp. i was told and read in books that by the time your temp has already risen you have ovulated already. i could use a little advice myself!

You're correct, the higher temp tells you that you did in fact, ovulate. CP and CM will give you fertility signs that O is approaching. OPK's will tell you that you 'may" O in the next 24-36 hours, but you do not always O, even if you get a + opk. So, combined with your temp rise and consistent higher temp, that will confirm ovulation.

I would recommend reading Taking Charge of your Fertility. Also, you have a FF ticker, make sure you read the tutorials. 

Good luck

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"