DH and I are at a crossroads. Here is our background. I can't figure out how to put this in the bottom of my posts. Sorry in advance for the length of this post.
We were married in March of 2008. We didn't want to jump on the baby bandwagon right away, despite our ages: I was 38 and DH was 35 when we married. I went off the pill later that year and we had the "whatever happens happens" attitude. My doctor has never felt like I would have any issues conceiving, even at my age.
DH was married previously and he and his first wife tried for children for quite a while with no luck. In 2009, DH found out that she now has a family of her own and DH started to wonder if he had any fertility issues. So my OB/GYN sent us to a specialist he works with and they put us both through the whole round of tests. Everything looked good on my end, I have good ovarian reserves ("you ovulate like a 30-year-old") and all my tests came back normal. DH has what they call a "subnormal" motility. He makes plenty of sperm, but are categorized as what I like to call, "bronze metal swimmers." We were perfect candidates for IUI.
So that is what we have done so far:
IUI #1 July 2010: 50 mg Clomid, 5 days, Pregnel trigger = BFN CD 28
IUI #2 August 2010: 100 mg Clomid 5 days, Ovidrel trigger + Acupuncture = BFP CD 31
MC at 5w
IUI #3 December 2010: 100 mg Clomid 5 days, Ovidrel trigger + Acupuncture = BFN CS 27
(I had two really large follicles this round, 22mm & 20 mm.)
IUI #4 January 2011: 100 mg Clomid 5 days, 3 injections of Menopur, Ovidrel trigger, Progesterone CD 17-26 + Acupuncture = BFN CD 30 (this morning)
My period has yet to start and I am never this late, but we are beyond getting our hopes up at this point.
So my question for you is this: when do you give up the IUI bus and hop on the IVF train? We know that no one has a crystal ball, but are starting to feel like our protocols haven't been aggressive enough. I believe one of our doctors (we'll call him Doc1) is looking at our numbers and wondering why it hasn't worked at this point. He even commented that he thought IUI #3 was sure to be successful. We asked about IVF last time and Doc1 said he would also recommend ISCI, which makes sense, if you are going through with all that, you need to go big. But if we need to do ISCI, then why were we ever given IUI as an option? Or am I over-thinking that? The other doctor in the group (Doc2, whom we don't see as often) said that because of my ovarian reserve, I am a good candidate for IVF.
We have decided to make an appointment with Doc2 to discuss our options. Doc1 is a nice person has been a big help, but at this point we just seems too relaxed about the whole situation - he prescribed the progesterone at my request, not his recommendation.
Financially, we can probably only afford one round of IVF, which is a concern for me. DH keeps telling me to remove the finances from the equation.
I would love to hear your stories about transitioning from IUI to IVF. What questions should I ask Doc2? We have tried to be patient with this whole process. But I am now 41 and we know we want to have more than one child. DH and I both grew up in situations where we had much older and much younger siblings, which can at times be a lonely childhood. We want our kids to be close in age. We feel like our window of opportunity is slowly closing.
Any information you can share is greatly appreciated. Once again, sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading.