Pregnant after IF
Options

NT scan and IVF- Anyone have good NT measurement but abnormal b/w?

Hi girls- I don't get to post much but when I do you are all so helpful :) 

Quick background- we did our first IVF cycle in November with a-CGH to try to reduce our chance for m/c.  We transferred 2 normal female embryos and one implanted. 

We had our NT scan last week and everything looked perfect- baby measured a few days ahead, great HB,  and great Nuchal fold of 1.6.  The MFM wasn't expecting any surprises with the bloodwork but when she called on Tuesday she said my risk was much higher than expected- for my age it should be 1:250 but it came back as 1:83.  Once she remembered that we did CGH she said that lowers my risk but I am still nervous. 

We have an appt with a genetic counselor next week. I have seen some studies online that IVF pregnancies more often have abnormal bloodwork- commonly lower Papp-a resultts.  Has anyone heard of this?  I am trying to gather information for my appt with the genetic counselor on Monday.

TIA!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NT scan and IVF- Anyone have good NT measurement but abnormal b/w?

• Options
    I don't have any knowledge or experience, but just want to wish you the best.
  • Options

This is pretty much what happened to me yesterday. The measurements were right on track for the Nuchal fold, but when he got the blood work results he was surprised that it increased my risk. My ratio was 1:260 and the cut off is 1:250. Those numbers just seem pretty close to me.

I don't know what the bloodwork numbers were and I'm going to go back and ask him. For my situation, I've also heard that the test results for twins are always a bit off, but I didn't know about the coorelation between IVF and the results. I'll have to look into it more.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Thank you IVF for our little miracles!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just wanted to wish you good luck hon!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options
    imagek-mart:

This is pretty much what happened to me yesterday. The measurements were right on track for the Nuchal fold, but when he got the blood work results he was surprised that it increased my risk. My ratio was 1:260 and the cut off is 1:250. Those numbers just seem pretty close to me.

I don't know what the bloodwork numbers were and I'm going to go back and ask him. For my situation, I've also heard that the test results for twins are always a bit off, but I didn't know about the coorelation between IVF and the results. I'll have to look into it more.

• Options
    imagek-mart:

Woops!  Good luck to you too, I hate that we have to deal with this on top of everything else.  I am trying to get a copy of the report to better understand the numbers as well.  Twins can def skew the bloodwork.  We transferred 2 but one never had a HB so I don't know if they are taking this into account or not.  Are you going to do further testing?  We are unsure right now- I want to see what a level II u/s shows first.

• Options
    image611bride05:
    imagek-mart:

Woops!  Good luck to you too, I hate that we have to deal with this on top of everything else.  I am trying to get a copy of the report to better understand the numbers as well.  Twins can def skew the bloodwork.  We transferred 2 but one never had a HB so I don't know if they are taking this into account or not.  Are you going to do further testing?  We are unsure right now- I want to see what a level II u/s shows first.

I know - worrying about IVF and then misscarriages was bad enough, just as I was trying to let things go, this happens. But it's all going to be fine for the both of us - we just have to deal with the stress for now!

I guess the option we chose involves the scan, bloodwork in 1st tri and bloodwork in 2nd tri. So I still have to get the second set of bloodwork done and they scheduled me for another ultrasound in 5 weeks for an anatomy scan and to make sure they see that everything is fine.

My husband is eager to do an amnio, but I'm not there yet. The risk of the amnio scares me since it took us a while to get this far.

I just emailed the doc to get the bloodwork results. I'm curious if it turns out the same as yours.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Thank you IVF for our little miracles!!
  • Options
    image611bride05:
    imagek-mart:

An early loss can skew the bloodwork. We were pg with triplets and lost identical twins at 7 weeks and the placenta was still in the uterus. The MFM had us do the NT scan and bloodwork later, at 13 weeks instead of earlier to correct for the abnormalities that could have shown up earlier.

Good luck to you.

IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Options
    I had a normal NT measurement but slightly low Papp-A and a slightly high HCG. With my age (39) included, my risk factor was 1:40. This was not an IVF pregnancy though and it was a singleton pg. I hadn't heard before of IVF pregnancies having lower Papp-A values although I have heard multiples pg can affect B/w. DS pregnancies have shown a pattern of high hcg and low Papp-A, but having bw with the same pattern doesn't mean the baby has ds. Is CGH the same as PGD?
    After 5 years of TTC, 3 IUIs, 5 IVFs, 2 FETs, multiple losses and an adoption that wasn
  • Options

This same sort of circumstance happened to me.  I did the NT scan and everything "looked" normal but we weren't able to get an official measurement as baby would not cooperate, because of that I never got my blood taken.  So at 15 weeks I decided to do the quad screen test.

My results came back at 1:270 for Down Syndrome (1:300 they wouldn't have even notified me), with normal for my age being around 1:900 (cannot remember the exact number), hence putting my at the same risk as a 36 year old women (I am 26 years old).

We did genetic counseling and 2 additional ultrasounds.  Nothing abnormal was found on the ultrasounds and they were able to move my risk to 1:600.  Because of that we decided not to do an amniocentesis because there was a bigger risk of miscarriage than the baby having DS.  Plus I don't think we would abort a baby with DS after all the work we did to get pregnant.

It's scary to think your baby may have down syndrome, but I did a lot of research and read there are many things that can skew your results with IVF being one of them.  I also read that a vegetarian diet can as well (I am not a vegetarian but barely eat any meat normally and was not eating meat at all during the 1st trimester). 

Additionally, this same thing also happened to my sister.  She got abnormal quad screen results and eventually got an amnio with her daughter and everything came back perfect.  Perhaps my sister and I have some sort of genetic thing that causes out bodies to produce hormones differently than normal.  Who knows?

Good luck!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"