March 2011 Moms

Stretch Marks?!?!?

Before getting pregnant I've always had a flat stomach with well defined abs (that I know realize I took for granted!). So since I was 6 weeks pregnant I've been lotioning religiously with all these special skin elasticity serums hoping to avoid stretch marks! I've been lucky enough to only gain 16 lbs so far and have no stretch marks ... until today!!!!! I woke up this morning and saw this hickey looking thing off to the side of my belly button. First I assumed it was a mark from the way I slept, like a crease from my shirt or something. Well it's been 3 hours since finding it and it's still there! Could this be a stretch mark? Or broken blood vessels? It wasn't what I was expecting a strech mark to look like but then again I don't know what to expect! HELP! What have your experiences been with stretch marks?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Stretch Marks?!?!?

• My experience was I ate enough to gain the recommended amount, used lotion religiously from the second I got PG and got covered in stretch marks pretty much overnight below my belly button.

The marks fade. The extra skin doesn't really go away, unfortunately.

• Well I do know you cannot prevent them - no matter what you do or try.  They're going to happen if they're going to happen.  Lotion, gaining weight at a steady clip and lots of water will help lessen them. 

I have noticed only a small amount of stretch marks on my left side right by where my hip is.  *knocks on wood* and it doesn't look too bad, I only notice them when I'm looking for them but who knows what it'll look like when this baby is born and my body is getting back to "normal".  

A hickey doesn't sound like a stretch mark to me - not sure if it is a broken blood vessel or something else.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I thought I was going to be lucky and not get any. My mom barely got any with me or my 3 brothers so I thought, "yay for great genes!"

Well, I've gained about 35 lbs so far. My belly is round, smooth and what I *thought* was stretch-mark free....until 2 weeks ago. I was looking in the mirror and leaned back. What I saw was a whole SLEUTH of stretch marks! They were all under the belly which I could never see unless I would lean back so I have no idea how long they've been there. It kind of reminds me of the Cheshire Cat's smile since they're not very long, but they're all along underneath and curve with the belly.

I still lotion religiously 2x a day, but I've accepted the fact that stretch marks are a part of pregnancy and I'm just hoping they fade and lighten with time.

my blog - cheese & cheesecake

Me: 31, DH: 34, Married 5/29/05
    BFP #1: 6/22/10, EDD 3/6/11, DS born 2/25/11 @ 38w5d
    BFP #2: 7/27/13, EDD 4/9/14, CP 8/3/13
    BFP #3: 8/31/13, EDD 5/10/13, DD born med-free 5/9/14 @ 39w6d 
  • well so far for me i havent gotten a stretch mark and i use the palmers cocoa butter formula for stretch marks. i hopeing i dont get any but ive heard you cant really prevent then from coming even by using lotion. it may help but if your gonna get them then your gonna get them, just maybe not as bad as you were supposed t if you use lotion.

but who even knows! haha

and i didnt mean to reply to someones post i meant to reply to the main post sorryy :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageTarah716:

Well I do know you cannot prevent them - no matter what you do or try.  They're going to happen if they're going to happen.  Lotion, gaining weight at a steady clip and lots of water will help lessen them. 

This, exactly.  

Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • Yeah, if you're genetically pre-determined to get them no amount of lotion, oil, or serum will stop them from showing up. And your genetics come from more than just your mom. You have two parents, they each had two parents, their parents each had two parents... and on back forever. Genetics are far reaching and un-avoidable.

I didn't have any stretch marks at all for probably 24/25 weeks. Then I woke up one morning and had a couple small ones below the belly button. The morning after that? Road map. I knew they were coming so I was surprised they held off as long as they did.

Just keep lotioning up. It won't stop them, but you'll be more comfortable (your belly will get dry and itchy).

• A hickey like mark doesn't sound like a stretch mark.  Mine are definite lines that curve on the left side of my belly button.  I find it amusing as that's exactly were LO is positioned so I consider them an LO road map :)

You might just luck out and not have any OR very light ones.  Either way embrace it as it's all part of the process. 

• imageschoolsoutbride:

My experience was I ate enough to gain the recommended amount, used lotion religiously from the second I got PG and got covered in stretch marks pretty much overnight below my belly button.

The marks fade. The extra skin doesn't really go away, unfortunately.

Yes to the extra skin part!  I lost all my pregnancy weight plus more w/ DS and I still have that pouch. I feel though it was b/c I carried DS soooo low.  This one is still low but not as much, thank god!

I got stretch marks w/ DS but they actually faded a lot more than what I ever thought they would.  I haven't noticed more this time around...yet!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lotion does nothing at all for stretch marks. It doesn't penetrate deep enough to affect the part of the skin that stretches. Having a flat stomach pre-preg also has nothing to do with getting them. It's all dependent on genetics, unfortunately. :(

I don't have any on the belly (yet), but I do have some purplish marks on my boobs that I'm thinking are the beginnings of stretch marks. And I haven't even gone up a cup size! They're just kind of funny blotches here and there, not really lines. But they're sure not going away, so I assume it's them. Oh well. I'll humbly accept a few battle scars if they leave me with healthy kids.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imageckandi007:

I thought I was going to be lucky and not get any. My mom barely got any with me or my 3 brothers so I thought, "yay for great genes!"

Well, I've gained about 35 lbs so far. My belly is round, smooth and what I *thought* was stretch-mark free....until 2 weeks ago. I was looking in the mirror and leaned back. What I saw was a whole SLEUTH of stretch marks! They were all under the belly which I could never see unless I would lean back so I have no idea how long they've been there. It kind of reminds me of the Cheshire Cat's smile since they're not very long, but they're all along underneath and curve with the belly.

I still lotion religiously 2x a day, but I've accepted the fact that stretch marks are a part of pregnancy and I'm just hoping they fade and lighten with time.

WHY DID YOU TELL ME TO LEAN BACK.... UGH!!!!!  I thought I was doing sooooooooo good.  FU<K 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I started puberty really early, and grew really fast, so I have a lot of stretch marks, but 99% of them have faded to the point that you can't see them but they are shiney... however, my bump has an extreme amount of them due to my pregnancy, I have gained a lot of weight, but I don't look much bigger then I was when I got preg., DH has seen the progression of my marks, but last night I showed my family, and they were like Indifferent I think it's hereditary too...
  • Did it end up being a stretch mark??? I have the same thing; it looks like a tiny hickey or broken blood vessels..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"