Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

UO Thursday?

2»

Re: UO Thursday?

• Here's mine. I think everyone is way too obsessed with trying to ferret out and neutralize any possible danger to their children. It annoys me when people freak out about some incredibly unlikely scenario, and when it's pointed out the statistical probability of XYZ happening is about one in a gazillion, they say, "why would you ever even take the smallest chance with your kids?" It's the perfect comeback, because no one wants to admit that their kid's safety is worth even the tiniest risk, right? But, to paraphrase something I read in a blog recently, I'd prefer to be sensitive to actual danger than be completely fearful of all possible danger, particularly when the risk that danger poses is less than getting struck by lightning.
  • imageStarlette1983:
    I love food shows, but I can't watch shows like Man vs. Food. I always think about how many hungry people those giant meals could feed.  Yesterday I saw a little bit of an episode where the "challenge" was to eat a 6 pound burrito.  Really!?!?  That could feed like 6 people or more.  It is just so gluttonous (if that is a word) to me.  Makes me sad.  That's all!  :)

I have to agree with this. Watching this show makes me feel like I'm eating what that guy is eating and it makes me want to throw up. On top of that fact that he's being really gluttonous like you said. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageVuja_de:
    I don't like the Oprah Winfrey show, I think Oprah is annoying.

I disdain Oprah.  She is something beyond annoying to me!

• imagekatiekate1974:
    imagesasky:
    imagekatiekate1974:
    imagesasky:
    When people refer to their unborn child by name, it makes me cringe a little.  I think it's a superstitious thing.  I don't want to know the name until the baby is born.
    Are you Jewish, by any chance?

For me, I think it's cute. The baby IS a person. With a name. And, heaven forbid something happens, that baby has a name. And that baby deserves to be called by his/her name. (assuming the baby has a name....some people wait till after delivery to name them...)

No, I'm not Jewish.  I just don't like it.

Oh, that's just a very Jewish thing (they don't do baby showers, etc before the birth for that reason)

However, given what one of our members is going through right now, I think posting this opinion was incredibly insensitive.

I honestly don't think it was made in reference to Hooper, and FWIW I don't think it is insensitive at all.

I am not Jewish but my family and I share the same feelings. It is just not something we do in our family. We typically don't have baby showers before the baby is born either; I am Irish and Italian.

Little E born 12.10.09 Little A born 04.19.12
  • imageMrs.Hizzo:
    Here's mine. I think everyone is way too obsessed with trying to ferret out and neutralize any possible danger to their children. It annoys me when people freak out about some incredibly unlikely scenario, and when it's pointed out the statistical probability of XYZ happening is about one in a gazillion, they say, "why would you ever even take the smallest chance with your kids?" It's the perfect comeback, because no one wants to admit that their kid's safety is worth even the tiniest risk, right? But, to paraphrase something I read in a blog recently, I'd prefer to be sensitive to actual danger than be completely fearful of all possible danger, particularly when the risk that danger poses is less than getting struck by lightning.

ITA.  I worry about the big stuff.  So much of the little stuff isn't worth the time.  I've really learned that having 2.  I'm sure there are so many things I'd probably worry more about if I just had one, but I just can't.  I'd go crazy!

• I think Unpopular Opinion Thursday should be changed Opinions that are usually Popular, if not Mildly Unpopular. But I'm guessing OTSBCOTAUPINMU doesn't really work, right? Stick out tongue
  • imageMrs.Hizzo:
    Here's mine. I think everyone is way too obsessed with trying to ferret out and neutralize any possible danger to their children. It annoys me when people freak out about some incredibly unlikely scenario, and when it's pointed out the statistical probability of XYZ happening is about one in a gazillion, they say, "why would you ever even take the smallest chance with your kids?" It's the perfect comeback, because no one wants to admit that their kid's safety is worth even the tiniest risk, right? But, to paraphrase something I read in a blog recently, I'd prefer to be sensitive to actual danger than be completely fearful of all possible danger, particularly when the risk that danger poses is less than getting struck by lightning.

I have to agree with this. I am always making sure I am aware of real potential dangers in the moment, but it's silly to be overly paranoid. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemavilabride4evah:
    I think Unpopular Opinion Thursday should be changed Opinions that are usually Popular, if not Mildly Unpopular. But I'm guessing OTSBCOTAUPINMU doesn't really work, right? Stick out tongue

Haha, this! 

• imageVuja_de:
    imagekatiekate1974:
    imagesasky:
    imagekatiekate1974:
    imagesasky:
    When people refer to their unborn child by name, it makes me cringe a little.  I think it's a superstitious thing.  I don't want to know the name until the baby is born.

For me, I think it's cute. The baby IS a person. With a name. And, heaven forbid something happens, that baby has a name. And that baby deserves to be called by his/her name. (assuming the baby has a name....some people wait till after delivery to name them...)

Oh, that's just a very Jewish thing (they don't do baby showers, etc before the birth for that reason)

However, given what one of our members is going through right now, I think posting this opinion was incredibly insensitive.

I honestly don't think it was made in reference to Hooper, and FWIW I don't think it is insensitive at all.

I am not Jewish but my family and I share the same feelings. It is just not something we do in our family. We typically don't have baby showers before the baby is born either; I am Irish and Italian.

Oh, I don't think it was a reference to Hooper, either! I didn't mean for you guys to think that. Sorry. But she has been VERY clear that her son's name is Mason. That's all. Just strikes me as bad timing to express this opinion. 'Tis all.

Also, I never said it was an exclusively Jewish thing. LOL You can have that opinion, tradition, whatever and NOT be Jewish. It's just a traditionally Jewish thing.

• imageMrs.Hizzo:

Heck, just HAVING kids means you're exposing them to danger. Want to protect them completely? Don't have them. Wink

• imagekatiekate1974:
    imageVuja_de:
    imagekatiekate1974:
    imagesasky:
    imagekatiekate1974:
    imagesasky:

Oh, I don't think it was a reference to Hooper, either! I didn't mean for you guys to think that. Sorry. But she has been VERY clear that her son's name is Mason. That's all. Just strikes me as bad timing to express this opinion. 'Tis all.

Also, I never said it was an exclusively Jewish thing. LOL You can have that opinion, tradition, whatever and NOT be Jewish. It's just a traditionally Jewish thing.

gotcha!

Little E born 12.10.09 Little A born 04.19.12
  • imagejonnygurl76:

imagenolebride:
    I guess my opinion is actually the unpopular one. I love Oprah! Love her! I think she's done wonderful things with her money and power. Does she think pretty highly of herself? Probably. She's worked her as$ off to get what she has. It's pretty hard to stay grounded when you've accomplished so much. You have to be confident to be successful. You also have to be tough. Would she be my best friend? Probably not, but I think her positives outweigh her negatives by a mile.

i love her too.  i love that she expects 100% from everyone around her and those that work for her....she got where she is by working her ass off.  i also love her channel OWN....i could care less about it taking over the Discovery Health Ch. 

add me to the oprah fan list. i think she is an amazing woman, and her story is definitely inspiring.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I hate horror movies/psychological thrillers. I don't understand why people make them and I don't get why people love them. I also don't understand why the commercials for them are shown during programs like football games and re-runs of Top Chef.
    G: 08-02-06 ~ D: 02-21-09 ~ Z: 04-16-11
  • imagejenreally:
    I hate horror movies/psychological thrillers. I don't understand why people make them and I don't get why people love them. I also don't understand why the commercials for them are shown during programs like football games and re-runs of Top Chef.

Surprise

I'll still give you a rose at the next rose ceremony but I won't be happy about it!

• imageLopo:
    imageMrs.Hizzo:
    imagekatiekate1974:
    imageLopo:

imagekimberlyk921:
    I can't stand when people call their baby "baby girl"...it just sounds ghetto to me. I'm referring to this particular girl on my facebook who always says stuff like "snuggling up with my boo and baby girl"....its so annoying. And literally every facebook status is about her son and her daughter, who isn't born yet btw. 

I hate when people say my kid.  Why not say, my son or daughter?!

Because he IS my kid.

I always say "my kid/kids." I'm laughing that this is considered hate-worthy.

I said I hate when people say...not that I hate people who say it.  See the difference?

That's what I meant, that you would hate when I do it. I wasn't thinking you actually hated me as a person.

• I have one this week!

I think words like spank, smack, and pop should be eliminated from parents' vocabularies.  Call it what it is- hitting.  You did not "sharply tap" your child.  You hit your child.  Calling it something else doesn't change what it is.

And if you don't like the way it sounds to say that you hit your child, but you hit them anyway, that should tell you something about your discipline decisions.

bishes be crazy
  • imageamandopolis:

I have one this week!

I think words like spank, smack, and pop should be eliminated from parents' vocabularies.  Call it what it is- hitting.  You did not "sharply tap" your child.  You hit your child.  Calling it something else doesn't change what it is.

And if you don't like the way it sounds to say that you hit your child, but you hit them anyway, that should tell you something about your discipline decisions.

I'll wholeheartedly agree with this one, and bear the inevitable flames with you.  Yes

• imageToledoDeux:
    imageamandopolis:

I have one this week!

I'll wholeheartedly agree with this one, and bear the inevitable flames with you.  Yes

I've never been flamed for a UO before.  I think I'm due.

bishes be crazy
  • I finally have one. 

I am sick of everyone freaking out over mild (what I consider mild) reactions to the 12 month vaccines, MMR in particular.

Ummm, isn't a fever for a couple days better than the alternative?

Yes, some kids have a severe reaction to vaccines and that sucks and is scary. But nothing that I have seen on this board is anywhere close to a severe reaction.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageamandopolis:

I have one this week!

This is 100% true, regardless of which side of the spectrum one is on.

• imageAlex17:

I finally have one. 

I am sick of everyone freaking out over mild (what I consider mild) reactions to the 12 month vaccines, MMR in particular.

Yes, some kids have a severe reaction to vaccines and that sucks and is scary. But nothing that I have seen on this board is anywhere close to a severe reaction.

A-fcking-men.

I know that fevers in kids are scary (my kid has had one for 4 days now and I am a nervous wreck.  I get it).  But this is the body doing what it's supposed to do after a vaccination - fighting something off and building an immunity to it.  Choosing to reorder or delay vaccines because your kid got a fever or a slight rash after one is crazy.

• imageToledoDeux:
    imageAlex17:

I finally have one. 

A-fcking-men.

I know that fevers in kids are scary (my kid has had one for 4 days now and I am a nervous wreck.  I get it).  But this is the body doing what it's supposed to do after a vaccination - fighting something off and building an immunity to it.  Choosing to reorder or delay vaccines because your kid got a fever or a slight rash after one is crazy.

I knew you would back me up. lol Stick out tongue

• TSDTSD member
    I don't get smash cakes at all. I don't understand or want a food specifically for my kid to get food all over him. I don't see a reason for it. He doesn't do that with regular food if I could get him to even eat something that would end up messy. I don't have one photo with food all over him because one, I think it's gross looking, and two, I'd have to force it on him. He doesn't touch "wet"/smeary food.  It's not uptight or anal, it's just not his thing and I don't feel bad that he's missing something (aside from him being a picky eater in general).
  • imageamandopolis:

I have one this week!

Yes

I'm going to call theft "petting a fluffly bunny" which sounds cute enough that I may just rob a bank without any guilt. Stick out tongue

• imageTSD:
    I don't get smash cakes at all. I don't understand or want a food specifically for my kid to get food all over him. I don't see a reason for it. He doesn't do that with regular food if I could get him to even eat something that would end up messy. I don't have one photo with food all over him because one, I think it's gross looking, and two, I'd have to force it on him. He doesn't touch "wet"/smeary food.  It's not uptight or anal, it's just not his thing and I don't feel bad that he's missing something (aside from him being a picky eater in general).

i have to disagree!!  i think it is cute when P gets a little messy when she really enjoys something!!  see my siggy!

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • imagejonnygurl76:

imagekimberlyk921:
    I can't stand when people call their baby "baby girl"...it just sounds ghetto to me. I'm referring to this particular girl on my facebook who always says stuff like "snuggling up with my boo and baby girl"....its so annoying. And literally every facebook status is about her son and her daughter, who isn't born yet btw. 

i always call P 'baby girl'....Wink.  but i think "boo" sounds ghetto.

I was on the phone with a friend the other day, and she referred to her little girl as "boo". I thought it sounded strange.

• imageamandopolis:

I have one this week!

I was just thinking precisely this the other day.    So, ITA with you!

• imageamandopolis:

I have one this week!

I was just thinking precisely this the other day.    So, ITA with you!

• imagekimberlyk921:

My mom still calls me baby girl! We are only a little bit ghetto, though.

I can't think of an UO this week, but add me to the Oprah Haters list!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"