3rd Trimester
Options

Cord Blood Banking

My father told me he would pay for it so im going to do it.

Do you think its a total waste? or are you doing it too

Re: Cord Blood Banking

• Options
    We were going to do it too, until we were told that they would have to clamp the cord immediately to get enough blood to bank it.  My DH and I decided we would rather delay clamping the cord for a bit, so we are not going to do the banking.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

IMO it is not a total waste, especially if your father is paying for it.  Are you planning on having other children?  The only problem with it is that you will not be able to use it for this LO, should something ever happen.  It can only be used for other children (i.e. siblings).

We are donating ours, because I know there are plenty of children out there that need it and will need it before we decide to have another child.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would much rather wait until the cord is done pulsing so that my baby can get all of the blood itself.
  • Options

If you check the cord blood registry website, the cord blood can be used for this LO, just not in as many ways as for siblings. I plan on having children in the far future ( like after ive finished college and maybe have a stable guy)

i guess i might as well if its paid for.

And for the other ladies.. what do you mean... by clamping it immediately does it hurt the baby?

• Options
    imagekatiebuug:

If you check the cord blood registry website, the cord blood can be used for this LO, just not in as many ways as for siblings. I plan on having children in the far future ( like after ive finished college and maybe have a stable guy)

i guess i might as well if its paid for.

And for the other ladies.. what do you mean... by clamping it immediately does it hurt the baby?

There are many benefits to delaying clamping, the main one being the increased levels of iron and lower chances of your baby developing anemia.

• Options
    We didn't, but now having seen the good it can do for others I will absolutely donate cord blood in the future.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We are doing this. I actually got the kit in the mail today. With identical twins, we are banking for one only, since both will have the same genetic markers, and for us, the insurance of knowing that we will have it available far outweighed not doing it.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Im definitely going to be banking it privately.  There are have been a ton of advances in cord blood banking in the last few years and my thought is that you never know how many more advances are to come. I would rather have it and not need it than find out I need it and not have it.  
  • Options
    I considered it at first, however after a lot of research I have decided against it.  Doctors are hesitant to use the child's cord blood, but OK to use a siblings.  This will possibly be our only biological child, so it would probably not benefit any of our children.  I would love to donate the cord blood, but our hospital does not participate in a donor program.
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    To correct an earlier post - your child's cord blood CAN be used for your own child in the case of some disease or unfortunate injury.  It's true stem cell science is not cut and dry. But, if you can afford it, what's the harm?
  • Options

We're donating to a public bank that also does research on cord blood.  Our hospital doesn't participate, but the bank offers a send in program to collect that is similar to how the private banks receive the collection.  I didn't know this was an option until I contacted the closted public cord bank.  My kit should be arriving this week to put in my hospital bag.

Here's a site of the national cord blood registry if interested in donating.

https://www.marrow.org/HELP/Donate_Cord_Blood_Share_Life/How_to_Donate_Cord_Blood/CB_Participating_Hospitals/nmdp_cord_blood_hospitals.pl

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options

We are doing it. 

While it can't be used for same LO for as many things, it can be used for some things and who knows what the future holds. We'd rather have it and not need it than need it later and not have it. Also, with so many medical advances happening every day, it may be able to help her in additional ways or other family members in the future. 

M 

• Options

We are doing it. 

While it can't be used for same LO for as many things, it can be used for some things and who knows what the future holds. We'd rather have it and not need it than need it later and not have it. Also, with so many medical advances happening every day, it may be able to help her in additional ways or other family members in the future. 

We've discussed it with my doctor and he's for it and sees no ill effects from doing it. 

• Options

We are totally doing it. It actually can be used for your LO, siblings or other family members if they are a match. Our family (my hubby's side) has a history of cancer and MS. Stem cell usage is an exploding treatment option... I feel like if something happened and anybody in my family could have been treated using it and we had said no I would be filled with regret.

For $1800... hell yes!  

• Options

If you have the opportunity to bank your baby's cord blood, you definitely should.  It is an insurance policy in case your child ever needs it. THere are many diseases which use cord blood to cure, please take a look at this site. It answers many questions.  https://tinyurl.com/27msjfu 

If you are unsure how it works, look at this video https://tinyurl.com/ylmfy8u

Also, look for the Cord Blood Bank that does NOT charge an annual fee, just a one time payment (with a payment plan if you need it!). In the long run it is much less expensive.

Good luck

joyce 

joyce@mazelabs.com www.mazecordblood.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"