Baby Names

If you didn't/aren't using your top name choice (boy or girl), why not?

In the post below re: your favorite girls name, several of us who responded aren't using our top choice for a girls' name (me included.) For us, my top choice is an ex-gf of DH...and he'd rather not use it. A few of our other top choices are awful w/our LN. 

I guess I (wrongly) assumed that I was the only one who had a top choice not work out for one reason or another.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you didn't/aren't using your top name choice (boy or girl), why not?

• There are two names that would be at the very top of my list that don't work with our last name. We actually still have them on our long list, because I love them dearly, but the chance that we will use them is very slim.
  • Well, I'm not pregnant but two of my favorite girl names are Bridget & Camille. I won't use them unless we have a few more kids (and save them for last) because of the similar Br beginning to DS and the CAM sorta rhyming with his name.
    Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Loading the player...
  • My top boy name is on the fence. I LOVE Casper, but our last name is Carter. DH & I (along with our families) don't find Casper Carter too much of a mouthful or too much rhyme/alliteration, but many people do. One other friend I've told LOVES it though, and actually started saying it again when she found out I was pregnant- so we're not the only ones that like how it sounds (just a major minority).

I'm on the fence though- and the only negative imho is the sound with the last name. 

• Last name issue for me as well.  Boy's name I love is Benjamin, but wit our last name being Franklin, probably close to child abuse to name a kid Benjamin Franklin.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My top name choices were Addison and Kinsley.

I am not using Addison because my step son has a half sister named Maddison and MIL wouldn't shut up about it so I finally gave up and got tired of her making snotty comments about it.

We aren't using Kinsley because DH hated it Smile

• Well, we exed out our favorite right off the bat because it was Sophia, and that's the name of ever other child in our neigborhood.

And then, of the things on our lists, I didn't like his top choice (though it's growing on me now) and he didn't like mine, so we went with our mutual second choice. 

• DH and I have very different naming styles, so both DS and DD's names will be compromises.

• I love Benjamin, but DH and I are Ken and Jen. That obviously was out of our control, but adding a Ben into the mix would just be ridiculous!
  • The name is a top 10 name and growing up always having 5-7 others in my grade I wanted a name that is a bit off the radar. I know it can still happen, but less likely.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I used to LOVE the name Evan....but my last name is now Evans....so that's totally out. A lot of other names sound sing-songy with it as well. 

this time I might lose my top pick (Simon) to DH's top pick (Elliott). For girls, I have usually won and gotten to use my top pick though 

• My 2 favorite girl names have been used in DH's immediate family. One of them would be a first cousin with the same first and last name.

Not a big deal. I am in love with the name we have chosen for our DD. There are many girl names I love.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Elizabeth, after my Grandma.  DH hates the name because it reminds him an ex-gf who went by Libby.  I told him I hate the nn Libby but he still won't budge.

I've always loved the name Emily but it's like #2. 

I really like the name Edward but am afraid that one will just blow up in the coming years because of flippin' Twilight.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• Because DH will NOT agree to Mable, even though it's his grandma.  He just won't budge, so it's out.

My other top name is Cora, but my little sister claimed it when we were kids.  She's not married yet and doesn't have children, but out of respect for her, I'll leave the name for her to use someday. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • That would suck if by then she didn't want to use Cora anymore
  • Our last name starts with a V, is 10 letters and 4 syllables long. DH vetoed Vivienne/Vivian. It is/was my #1 girl name. Sad
  • My top name choices for girls were Layla, Delilah and Olivia.

My sister named her daughter Lila last year though, so that knocked out Layla and Delilah. I mean, yeah, we could still use the name but our family is very close and it would just be confusing. I'm sure extended family would also wonder why the heck we couldn't come up with a different name too.

Olivia is out because my aunt had a 2nd trimester miscarriage and named her angel baby Olivia. I wouldn't want to name our daughter that and have it conjure up any difficult emotion for her. 

We've had an easier time with a boy name... until SIL told us she wanted to use the name for her son that was born in November. Then, at the hospital she announced she changed her mind. The name we want is after DH and SIL's grandfather. SIL decided to one up and named her son after their grandfather's father. Ha. Confused

• The two boy names that have been my favorites for years are DHs brothers, so we're not using those. And he didn't like my favorite girl name. The ones I listed on the other thread were mutual favorites.
  •  We took our #1 girl's out of the running because one of my close friends just had twins ( boy & girl) named them Declan and Rileigh. We already have a son Deklin, and she knew if I was having a girl this time around that that was what we were going to name her because it's my Gigi's name. I was soooo pissed. She even had the nerve to laugh at me and say "I guess you will have to find another girl's name". That friendship got ruined.
  • Our top girl name was River, but that was wiped out last week due to our last name (thank you to all who helped).
    M/C 04-1999 Missed M/C 04-20-2005 M/C 11-09-2006 DD - Sable Ren
  • Well my very first girl name was Emily Christine but my cousin used that name for her DD so that was out. I also like the name Sydney and Elizabeth. They were both top name choices during previous pregnancy. My first angel baby (the only one I named) was Audrey. I love that name.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• I have been in love with the name Isabella since I was about 10 and had always said I would name my daughter that.  Now that I'm having a girl, Isabella is uber popular and DH doesn't want to pick a name that is so popular so we aren't using it :(  We still haven't decided on a name.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Mia and Max are my favorites right now, but DH hates them.  I'm not a fan of the names he likes either, so we're having a rough time. 
  • imageSummerBaby12:
    That would suck if by then she didn't want to use Cora anymore

I know.  Or if her future DH vetoes the name.  But, I love my sister and I know she'd be hurt, so it's not worth it to me. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemlf625:

imageSummerBaby12:
    That would suck if by then she didn't want to use Cora anymore

I know.  Or if her future DH vetoes the name.  But, I love my sister and I know she'd be hurt, so it's not worth it to me. 

MLF- have you ever thought of Maple? It may be too hippy-ish for you but I saw you like Mable and this is obviously similar. I know a really cute baby named Maple Marie and it's not very common. Just a thought :)

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• My top THREE boys names are unusable because of our last name.  ugh.  Our last name starts with a "K" sound so Mark and Luke are off the table (b/c to me, it sounds like they just flow into the last name and I don't like that) and my #1 fave name rhymes with our last name.  it sucks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"