3rd Trimester

Any ladies on Zantac?

My dr gave me an Rx for it at my appt this week (150, 2 x a day)  I'm on my 3rd day of it and it is helping but not completely relieved my symptoms. How long did it take for it to completely kick in.

Re: Any ladies on Zantac?

• I didn't need a prescription but my doctor said I could take it. It definitely helped me more than just Tums. I think it started working right away.
  • I'm on the same dosage, but was able to get it OTC, so I'm not sure if there's any difference.  It did take a couple of days for it to really kick in, and there are nights when I still have problems.  I am waking up less during the night and I don't have the "just threw up in my mouth" taste in the morning anymore.
    Ethan George 11.4.06 Marcus Harvey 3.4.11
  • Loading the player...
  • For me, it worked immediately.  I would try for a couple more days but it may be worth trying a different drug to see if it works better - I know there are a couple of options that are OK'ed for pregnancy. 
    DS - June 2009
    DD - February 2011
  • It does work for me but to get the full effect, you need to follow the instructions. Take with water and don't eat or drink anything for an hour afterward. Take it before your meal... don't wait until after you eat to take it.

It does help when I take it no matter what but following those instructions has helped even more.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelizard76:
    I'm on the same dosage, but was able to get it OTC, so I'm not sure if there's any difference.  It did take a couple of days for it to really kick in, and there are nights when I still have problems.  I am waking up less during the night and I don't have the "just threw up in my mouth" taste in the morning anymore.

It is the same dose you can get OTC, but my co-pay was cheaper than the cost of buying it at the store in bulk (lol) for the next 4 months so she just did the rx.

• imagesuscq:

imagelizard76:
    I'm on the same dosage, but was able to get it OTC, so I'm not sure if there's any difference.  It did take a couple of days for it to really kick in, and there are nights when I still have problems.  I am waking up less during the night and I don't have the "just threw up in my mouth" taste in the morning anymore.

It is the same dose you can get OTC, but my co-pay was cheaper than the cost of buying it at the store in bulk (lol) for the next 4 months so she just did the rx.

Did you know that you can get the same thing at Walmart in the Equate brand and I only pay $2.94 for 30 of them? As long as the main active ingredient is Ranitidine.

My doctor told me to get that stuff followed by "it is the main ingredient in Zantac and it is cheaper to get it in generic" so that is what I have been using and saving a little money too.

• I take the OTC zantac 150 every 12 hrs or so.  Sometimes between 8-10 hrs in (so 2-4 hrs before I'm allowed my next dose), I still need to take some Tums.  OB didn't comment on this when I told her at my appt last thurs. 
    Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • I'm also on a prescription for Zantac, but I still need to take Tums occasionally as well.  My OB said it wasn't a problem (especially since the calcium in Tums is helpful too).  I usually take the first Zantac pill before lunch, then have Tums at dinner, then another Zantac pill before I go to sleep so I'm not woken up by heartburn.  I've been on it for 4+ months now and it's really just about finding the rhythm that works for you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Zantac and I are really good friends. Actually, I just get the generic kind at Sam's Club. I take one in the morning and then one at night before I go to bed. Getting heartburn in the middle of the night is awful! I do have to take Tums every once in awhile as well, which my OB said is just fine.

• Generics aren't regulated very well ... when it comes to being made the same way every time.  I found that the Walmart Equate version of Ranitidine worked way better than the stuff I got from the pharmacy.  My doctor said that can happen sometimes.

But, also as a PP said, follow the instructions.  I still have to use Tums and milk to hold off heartburn between doses too. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"