Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

The View- miscarriage

Anyone see the episode of The View 2 days ago where they covered a study about women who have had miscarriages and then were put on a gluten-free diet and their success rate after that skyrocketed? I can't find a link.

Re: The View- miscarriage

• Options
    Seriously??? That's amazing... I'm willing to stand on my head, rub my tummy and hold my tongue while saying "I was born on a pirate ship" if someone tells me that it is successful!!!! :)
  • Options
    I didn't see the show, but knowing that Elisabeth Hasselbeck has Celiac disease and is constantly talking about it, this is what it refers to.  Since Celiac (which is a gluten intolerance) impedes the body's ability to absorb folate (folic acid) in the intestines, it can cause "unexplained" infertility and recurrent miscarriages.  Hope that helps, Google may help you find the study.
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagekimmiekp:
    Seriously??? That's amazing... I'm willing to stand on my head, rub my tummy and hold my tongue while saying "I was born on a pirate ship" if someone tells me that it is successful!!!! :)

Me too!

So does the gluten free diet work for everyone or just people with that disease?

• Options

imagekimmiekp:

Here! Here! We've been looking into adoption but the costs are staggering. I'll dance naked around a cauldron filled with some mystery potion with eye of newt at this point. 

• Options
    This is awesome!  I tried to find it and couldn't so if you do let us know!  Thanks 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

From what I've read, it looks like for this information to apply to you, you would need to have wheat/gluten intolerance/sensitivities or have full-blown celiac disease. You can find the symptoms online and strangely enough, miscarriage is one of them.  I believe the testing for Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity and Celiac Disease is either a blood test or an elimination diet.

https://www.celiaccentral.org/News/News-Feeds/View-Research-News/Celiac-Disease-Research/134/vobId__2264/

The above article states this:

World Journal of Gastroenterology 2003 stated: ?both miscarriage frequency and babies? low birth weight would normalize in response to a gluten free diet.?

?Untreated celiac disease in women resulted in an 8.9-fold increase in the relative risk of pregnancy miscarriage and in a 30% reduction of the baby?s birth weight.?

Also:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/261205-effects-of-a-gluten-free-diet/

This article states:

"This disease frequently is a cause of miscarriage. In the study, 13 women between the ages of 22 and 38 with celiac disease who experienced recurrent miscarriages were started on a gluten-free diet. The analysis, reported in the November 2008 issue of the medical journal Digestive Diseases and Sciences, found six of the 13 women became pregnant within four years after starting the diet."

Hope this is some of what you were looking for.  I missed The View episode the other day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I didn't see the episode of The View, but after recently being dx with Endo, I did a little google research...Apparently, there is a connection between endo and gluten.  Patients that went on a gluten free saw their pain subside.

Here's the link

https://www.endometriosis.org/nutrition.html 

• Options
    imageRzrbckMomma:

I didn't see the episode of The View, but after recently being dx with Endo, I did a little google research...Apparently, there is a connection between endo and gluten.  Patients that went on a gluten free saw their pain subside.

Here's the link

https://www.endometriosis.org/nutrition.html 

My acupuncturist was heavy into this logic too.  Apparently gluten is inflammatory and if you are someone sensitive to such inflammation, going gluten-free helps.  Note this is a serious commitment (I can attest having gone GF for 7+ months) - no regular bread, pasta, baked goods, pizza, etc.  Gluten is in all kinds of things you wouldn't suspect, including many salad dressings and soy sauce, for example.  It can also take weeks or months for gluten to clear from your system and if you cheat it defeats all of your prior hard work.  So, worth looking into if you have endo or suspect celiac, but bear in mind going GF is no small task.

DS 04.25.08 DS 03.14.12 missed m/c 9w1d :: 6.18.10 :: d&c | missed m/c 9w3d :: 11.2.10 :: d&c
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"