June 2011 Moms
Options

Bradley Method--

Also known as 'husband coached' method. Anyone taken this class or had experience with it?

Re: Bradley Method--

• Options
    Haha - I just posted that we are off to our first class this evening :)  I'll let you know when it's over!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well, we've been to one class so far... so I don't have much for you. I have done reading up on it (this book) and that is really what got us into it. We're looking for a med-free childbirth and my husband is a great support to me so this was perfect for us. Do you have any specific questions? I've not been through it, so I'm not sure how much help I will be. =)
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Rainbow baby, EDD 7/8/14, missed miscarriage 12/5/13. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    By the way, the natural birth board has a lot of moms on there who know more about this (and have already had one or more natural births). Good place there to ask about the bradley method. =)
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
     I am definitely interested in hearing how it's going and what the general thoughts are. I'm looking into the only person teaching it in this area right now and I'm actually hoping that she can give me some contact info on the other couples that she has taught so I can talk to them too. I live in an area that is kinda lousy for birth options and some of the doulas etc that I have come across, well let's just say I have been less that impressed with.
  • Options

imageladyluck713:
     I am definitely interested in hearing how it's going and what the general thoughts are. I'm looking into the only person teaching it in this area right now and I'm actually hoping that she can give me some contact info on the other couples that she has taught so I can talk to them too. I live in an area that is kinda lousy for birth options and some of the doulas etc that I have come across, well let's just say I have been less that impressed with.

So far it is going well. We have just started with exercise and nutrition (basically in order to have the delivery you want you need to keep your birth options open by eating right, and keeping your body in the right health to do that). So so far the premise is going well.

The one thing that was important to me was finding a Bradley instructor that was ok with a hospital birth (not all are). Mine is also a doula and has done several births at the hospital I will be at. There is another couple in our class planning a hospital birth. I didn't want an instructor that was condescending towards a birth in a hospital (I have heard that some can be).

Definatly talk to the instructor. Mine immediatly gave me three couples to use as references, it was great. Most couples that have gone through bradley love to talk about their experiances so she should have some.

Good luck, and check out the Natural Birth board. There might be someone in your area who has some experience! Good luck!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

We had our first class on Sunday and like previous poster said, it was an intro and nutrition talk.

I think it is going to be especially useful for my husband in order to be prepared since he has no idea what he is getting into.  Also, although extremely supportive in theory, he doesn't always know how to help. Even the first activity was helpful to us, which was me checking off ways I typically deal with pain and ways I think he can help me.  

I've heard all of this kind of goes out the window during delivery, like women who like to be touched and comforted in normal circumstances will eat your arm if you come near them, but it has to helpful to be on the same page and have him be aware of how to support you.

We went over some exercises and healthy eating habits, which seemed silly for the most women in the class who are delivering in March.

• Options
    DH and I took it before our first child. It was very helpful. DD1 was induced, but otherwise born med-free. DD2 was totally natural. The classes were really good and, like someone else mentioned, really help you and DH be on the same page. For example, I had done lots of reading and was on baby message boards so I had already heard a lot, but DH didn't know the same things I knew. Doing the exercises at night and relaxing together also helped a lot. As it turns out, when I was in labor with #2 especially, I mostly wanted to labor alone and most of my (very short) labor was alone in the shower. But had I needed or wanted more support from DH he would have been there and was there for labor #1, which was all in the hospital since I was induced. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i took bradley classes with my last pregnancy and found them very helpful in preparing for a med-free birth.  while i didn't end up using any husband coaching in labor (i wanted to be alone), i felt that the classes really helped me and dh prepare for what we would experience.  dh, who is very squeamish about most things, just quietly read his book and remained calm while i was in labor.  i highly recommend the classes.
  • Options
    imageDreamChaser246:

The one thing that was important to me was finding a Bradley instructor that was ok with a hospital birth (not all are). Mine is also a doula and has done several births at the hospital I will be at. There is another couple in our class planning a hospital birth. I didn't want an instructor that was condescending towards a birth in a hospital (I have heard that some can be).

I'm glad you mentioned that. With everything that is swimming around in my head I wouldn't have thought of that until much later in the game, even though that should have been one of my primary questions to the instructor. I've asked her some more interview type questions via email- which I don't like doing, but due to scheduling issues, there wouldn't likely be a time at this point for us to meet. 

• Options

We had our first class last night so I thought I'd add my 2 cents.  I found it really helpful and I think we are really going to like them.  As someone else mentioned, the first class was an intro and covered some exercises and nutrition.  I eat decently but realized last night that I have some work to do.  Fortunately, the doctor on the video we watched said that it's extra important to eat well in the last 4-5 months so I still have time to change my habits for the better.

It was MH who got me first turned on to a med free birth - he was pretty isistent that I not get an epidural and so I started looking into it.  So really, us taking these classes is his fault.  Well, he didn't realize how much of the Bradley methond centers around husband coaching so I think the class was a big wake up call for him.  I asked him last night what he thought the birth was going to be like and he figured I'd just be screaming and breaking his hand and then I'd shove the baby out.  Haha - so innocent :)

• Options
    imagegymnst1013:

We had our first class last night so I thought I'd add my 2 cents.  I found it really helpful and I think we are really going to like them.  As someone else mentioned, the first class was an intro and covered some exercises and nutrition.  I eat decently but realized last night that I have some work to do.  Fortunately, the doctor on the video we watched said that it's extra important to eat well in the last 4-5 months so I still have time to change my habits for the better.

It was MH who got me first turned on to a med free birth - he was pretty isistent that I not get an epidural and so I started looking into it.  So really, us taking these classes is his fault.  Well, he didn't realize how much of the Bradley methond centers around husband coaching so I think the class was a big wake up call for him.  I asked him last night what he thought the birth was going to be like and he figured I'd just be screaming and breaking his hand and then I'd shove the baby out.  Haha - so innocent :)

Silly husbands.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"