May 2011 Moms
Options

Saving the cord

Pardon if this is a subject that has already been brought up, but how do you feel about saving the cord?  Will you save the cord?  If so what company are you going with?  I understand that this is a personal decision within each family but if you could shed some light of your opinion, it would be much appreciated.  I feel like everytime I turn around, it is being shoved down my throat.  I get emails from one company who I never even gave my email address to.  sheeesh. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Saving the cord

• Options

You mean saving the cord BLOOD.  When I opened this I thought it was going to be about saving the actual cord... Ick!

We will be donating ours.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yes, my bad! 

Cord BLOOD.

and TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've doen some research on this and the consensus is that a private donation is most likely proven to be a waste, a public donation can save a life.  The reason is that if your child has a genetic disorder or need for a donation, the problem cells are also in their cord blood, so you'd be adding to the problem.  The exception to this is usually sibling need.  More often then not, a public bank can better fit your need when needed, and if never needed its used for someone elses life saving efforts.

I'm still researching, but thats what I've gotten so far.  I'd ask  your Dr about it too, and maybe the pediatrician you select.

• Options

I haven't discussed it with my husband yet, but I was thinking of donating it.  It would be nice to bank the cord blood, but it's a little too expensive.

Viacord for example:
    Collection & Processing Fee:  $1,975
    Private Medical Courier Fee:   $150
    First Year Storage Fee: $125

$2,250 Total (first year)

• Options
    If we don't bank it ourselves (which we may not due to cost), we will definitely be donating.  I feel like it's a great opportunity and would be a waste if we don't.  My DH is a frequent blood donor and they've sent him home with info on donating cord blood.
    Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • Options

We banked our daughter's cord blood with Viacord, and plan to do the same this time.  While expensive, we see the cost the same way we do our life insurance policy.  Sure, it's pretty expensive the first year, and it may never be used (we certainly hope so), but I would kick myself if we have a need for it and we don't have it.  Medical technology is growing so fast these days, that while the possible uses for the blood right now aren't huge, who knows what they will be in 10 or 20 years. 

My FIL also has a debilitating disease that has some genetic components, and that they are currently researching ways to use stem cells for it, so we see it as a no brainer.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    NO, we are not saving the cord blood. I plan to let as much of those stem cells pump into the baby as we can, to give them a head start on that - it's what nature intended before placental delivery!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"