Breastfeeding

lump in pumped milk?

My left nipple has been cracked for a few weeks now. It has hurt too bad to nurse from it so I decided to just pump from it for a while (even though that hurt too) so I wouldn't lose my supply. Whenever I pump the dry skin on it gets soaked and just peels off. I'm not sure if it's common or if you reading this know what I mean...anyway I used to pump 4-6 oz from each breast but three days ago I could only get 2 oz from it each time I pumped. Then I pumped two days ago at night and got 3 oz. I put it in a bag, changed the baby and turned around to pick the bag up and take it to the freezer. I noticed there was a yellow thing at the top. I figured it was the fat separating although it would have been too short amount of time to do that. I shook it a little to try to mix it in and realized it was a lump...?
I took it out of the bag and kind of squeezed it. It looked a little like the skin that comes off my nipple except it was yellow and not white. The color made me think it was fat and after i squeezed it my fingers felt greasy so that's what I'm guessing it is. It was maybe about a dime or penny size sort of gooey thing. I'm not sure how anything that big could get through unless it came out stringy-like. Has anyone had anything like this happen that could tell me what it is? I'm new to all of this.

Re: lump in pumped milk?

• It's probably a clog that got dislodged.  clogs are mostly fat and milk that sits in a duct and doesn't get emptied well and then all of a sudden comes out. It's not bad, most babies don't notice, if you don't like it, scoop it out and toss it.  kwim?

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.

• Not sure about the lump, but in regard to your cracked nipple, I went through that too and it sucked. I found that I needed a bigger size for my pump (the part that looks like a funnel that goes over your nipple) and that really helped. Also, maybe you've seen these but there are gel pads you can buy to wear in your bra and they help with healing and pain relief, not to mention loads of HPA lanolin. Hope you feel better soon.
  • image AmyG*:

It's probably a clog that got dislodged.  clogs are mostly fat and milk that sits in a duct and doesn't get emptied well and then all of a sudden comes out. It's not bad, most babies don't notice, if you don't like it, scoop it out and toss it.  kwim?

This was my first thought also.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic