High-Risk Pregnancy

Pulmonary Valve Stenosis

I found out last week that my baby has Pulmonary Valve Stenosis - a problem with one of the valves in the heart.  From what I understand, it's completely treatable and fairly easy to resolve with a minor procedure after birth, but it has really thrown me through a loop.  I am teary all the time and so sad and scared.  I think more than anything, since this came out of no where, I'm afriad of other things that could go wrong.  I don't know how to snap out of this horrible feeling I've been having. 

I am also a Type 1 diabetic,and I have been EXTREMEMLY careful my entire pregnancy through a lot of hard work, so it just feels so unfair that now something else is creeping up, totally unrelated.  How do I get over this horrible low feeling?

Re: Pulmonary Valve Stenosis

• I had a 27 week twins. One of which had a Aortic Valve Stenosis called a Coartation. It is scary and I was upset all the time about it. I had echo's and dopplers done while pregnant and they never caught it until she was 2 weeks old. It is not a preemie thing but just a heart defect. She had a cardiac cath and angioplasty at 7 weeks actual 34 weeks adjusted. Although scary on babies this is a pretty common procedure for adults and just requires a 1 night stay in the hospital.  It is not a fun place to be and I am sorry. If you need to talk pm me!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My younger son has PS we didn't find out until he was born, and sometimes I'm glad for that.

That being said, very treatable, with a non invasive "surgery".  Do your reasearch now, find a good cardiologist that you trust, and make a plan. 

I like this site for info:

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/AboutCongenitalHeartDefects/Pulmonary-Valve-Stenosis_UCM_307034_Article.jsp

The first week after he was born was intense.  But with an uncomplicated delievery, I was with him every step of the way.  He came home on oxygen for 4 weeks (it was just while he slept, which was all the time for a while:), and has THRIVED!  He is bigger than his older brother, with more energy and more spunk!  It is something I never would have wished on my child, however if you're going to have a heart defect, this is the one to have. 

Your child will be okay and a happy, healthy member of society!  You can do this, you just need to make a plan so that you can feel in control. 

I too struggled with what could have been done to prevent this, but your logically side knows, and it is true, that it is nothing, these things happen.  You will time and again prove you're a good mother by taking care of your little one once they're here!

PM me if you want to talk more!

DS #1 5.5.07 DS #2 12.3.08 DD 5.21.11