Working Moms

If you pump...

Hi - I pump and BF at home - mainly BF since I work from home. I had to go on a work trip away from DD on Monday and I come back Thursday. One of my breasts hurts so much, it feels like it is bruised/swollen on the side. When I pump, I don't feel like I can get it empty enough although I am getting a lot of milk out. I just feel full all of the time. I have been trying to pump every 3 to 4 hours. I don't have this problem at home at all.

Has this happened to anyone else? Also, do you pump at night so you don't get too full? Thanks!

Re: If you pump...

• The painful breast sounds like a clogged duct. Try: pumping regularly, massaging the sore spot as you pump (ouch! but it really helps), putting a warm washcloth on your breast before pumping, leaning over in the shower and massaging the sore spot. Keep an eye on your temperature and take some Advil/Tylenol if you spike a fever. The sore spot should feel better within 1-2 days. If it doesn't, see a doctor as soon as you get home -- clogged ducts can turn into mastitis if left untreated.

You should pump as often as your DD eats, so if she still wakes at night to nurse, you'll want to pump at night too. If she normally STTN, you can STTN too :)

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• It is probably a clogged duct. The best solution is to have your baby nurse the heck out of that side and massage the spot at the same time. I never found pumping to do a good job in unclogging me.

When I was weaning my ds at 12 months, I had a clogged duck. He had been done with bf for a day or so, but I had him nurse just for a few minutes on that bb and it did the trick.

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry, I see that you are not home. But, if it isn't better by the time you get back, then I would nurse as soon as you could.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"