Parenting

Help - I don't know what else to do...

Ian has been coughing for literally almost 24 hours straight.  We'll be calling the pedi in the morning in hopes to get him in for, well, whatever (maybe an inhaler?) but I don't know what else to do tonight. 

So far we've:  turned on the humidifier in his room, put Vicks on the chest, given 1/2 tsp Delsym twice, given Benadryl at bedtime, given Allegra in the morning (per the pedi last time he had a cold), given honey, given water, elevated his pillow.  What else is there??  His cough at this point does not sound productive, it just sounds like a tickle that won't go away.  It does not sound like a bark.  We're afraid he's going to gag as well.

This is torture, but luckily other than the cough he's acting fine, which is good since we are having Max's birthday party tomorrow. What am I missing?  Anything?? 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersimageimage

Re: Help - I don't know what else to do...

• I am not sure there is anything else you can do.  My ds gets bad coughs every winter due to his asthma.  He has now had a cough for 2 weeks.  I took him to the pedi just to make sure it wasn't anything else.  It wasn't, just a cough.  The only thing he said was that I could give him Robitussin at night.  This really helped.  It was the only night he slept thru without waking up coughing.

I don't know if your ds is old enough for Robitussin.  My pedi double checked ds's age before giving me he okay for it. 

Other than that, I have no other suggestions because it sounds like you are doing everything you can. Hope he is better soon.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ian's about Law's age, right?  4-ish?  You could try a hard candy or a sucker.  If you have corn syrup, that's worked well for us, too.

Law used to get bad coughs that would keep him up.  We'd try sitting with him in the bathroom with the door closed and the shower running as hot as it would go to get the steam to help open him up.  If that didn't help, we'd stand in front of the freezer or wrap him in a blanket and go outside in the cold air.  His pedi recommended the latter because sometimes the bronchioles need to be constricted instead of opened?  I don't know -- but it's worth a shot.

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah, he'll be 4 in two months.  It's just crazy how much he's coughed the past day or so.  I know it has to hurt at this point!  If he continues all night, I'll try the steam and/or outside tricks.  Thanks guys!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersimageimage
  • imagemamarazzi:

Ian's about Law's age, right?  4-ish?  You could try a hard candy or a sucker.  If you have corn syrup, that's worked well for us, too.

Law used to get bad coughs that would keep him up.  We'd try sitting with him in the bathroom with the door closed and the shower running as hot as it would go to get the steam to help open him up.  If that didn't help, we'd stand in front of the freezer or wrap him in a blanket and go outside in the cold air.  His pedi recommended the latter because sometimes the bronchioles need to be constricted instead of opened?  I don't know -- but it's worth a shot.

I was just about to post about the steam and/or outside tricks!  That's too bad that honey isn't working because it's been a lifesaver for us :( 

L 7/06 E 8/07 L 6/10 imageimageimage
  • Maybe try some popsicles.   --the sugar syrup may soothe/coat a bit and the cold may reduce inflammation.  And...at least he may be happy eating popsicles!
  • Ditto the steam and cold air. E ended up in the hospital with croup last year after I spent all night sitting over a humidifier with her, which didn't help. She came down with it again this week, and I sat in the bathroom with the hot shower running for 15 minutes at a time, every few hours. It made a noticeable difference and now it's down to just a cold, without the croupy breathing/sound. I wish I'd done this the last time...probably would've saved us a miserable night in the hospital!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"