Birth Stories
Options

Anyone on Lovenox or Arixtra?

I've just been put on Lovenox and it's kicking my butt.  I've been doing some research on a new drug very similar called arixtra.  I've found one girl who was put on it, but I can't find anyone else who's ever even heard of it. . . . .

Anyone on Lovenox have any advice on the shots?  So far it's like a scorpion is stinging me for each shot.  Sucks.  lol.

Thanks so much!!

Re: Anyone on Lovenox or Arixtra?

• Options
    Sometimes they give Warfarin or Coumadin in pill form to thin blood, I wonder if pills would be an option or if the doc has you on Lovenox shots for a specific reason.
  • Options

I had to give them to my DH for his hip replacement surgery...
    Pick a different site for each shot
    Pinch the skin around fairly tight
    Hold the needle like a dart (or pencil), and make a quick flick of the wrist only, to inject.
    Inject kind of on the slow side (he said it was better to go slow, rather than going fast to get it over with).

We did all of his in his belly.  The first two were the worst for me.  Although, I can't imagine having to do it to myself.
    HTH and good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been on Lovenox for 2 weeks now, and you're right, it's painful. My dr told me yesterday that it hurts worse if you hit a vein, and suggested sticking the needle in and aspirating it to see if you are in a vein. Aspirating is pushing in the plunger a little then pulling the plunger back out a little to see if it has blood. If it does, try a new spot. I haven't tried it yet bc I am a shot wimp, and don't want to see the sight of my blood. :)
    Something that does help though is to lay down when I do the shot and stay there for 20 minutes. It still stings, just not quite as bad.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Oh, and in ref to pp'er, you can't have coumadin or warfarin while pg. Shots are the only option. Sorry.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I was wondering, I didn't know if coumadin was on the ok list during pregnancy, but since this is the birthstory board I was wondering if she had already had the baby.
  • Options
    I was on Lovenox for months when I developed complications with my IVF cycle.  I feel for you, those shots did sting and I wasn't a fan.  The Dr never mentioned other options to me but I didn't think to ask.  Hopefully they can find something that works better for you, hang in there!

Nicol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"