Birth Stories
Options

Nikolas's birth story

The week that I delivered was very emotional. I lost my grandmother on December 4 and we were in preparations for her funeral. My due date was quickly approaching, so I was hoping that the baby would wait until after I could say my final goodbyes to make his appearance.

The wake was on December 6 and I still had no contractions. My doctor was concerned that this stress would put me into labor, but I kept hoping that she would be wrong.

That night, I began having mild contractions that were about 10 minutes apart. I slept through most of them, but by the time I woke up, they were more intense and were coming 7 minutes apart. I wanted to be there for the service, so we decided to go and if we had to leave then we would. I made it through the service, burial and mercy dinner (although I didn't eat) and swayed my way through the pain and discomfort. I'm sure my grandma had fun with this, since all she had wanted to do was see her greatgrandchild. The contractions worsened through the day until they were 4 minutes apart and were quite intense. We made it home long enough to grab our hospital bag and then head to the hospital.

Once there, they admitted me and checked my progress. I was nervous, this would be the second time I was in the hospital in three weeks. The first time I was admitted for kidney stones, which were still causing problems. We were worried about the complications that might bring. I was 3 cm dilated and his head was down. They had me walk the floor to help dilation. After two hours of walking, my water still had not broken, so they broke the water. I was progressing, at this point I was 4-5 cm dilated and it was already 9 PM. The doctor and nurse were concerned about the slow progress because of the intensity of the contractions and what I had already been through emotionally that day. As soon as the water broke the contractions were twice as painful and although I had been planning on delivering without pain medication I had the epidural. As soon as that was administered I felt nothing-no pressure or pain. It was a relief, since I had constant pain in my lower back since the kidney stones had started three weeks previous.

By 12 AM although the contractions were coming 1.5 minutes apart there was still little dilation progress. They administered pitocin and said that delivery would probably come mid-morning at this rate. The nurse told us to rest, since it had been such a long day. I rested for a couple hours, anxious to see the baby. The nurses watched the progress on the monitor and checked dilation again at 4 AM. I was fully effaced and dilated, but still couldn't feel anything from my waist down. The nurse went to get the doctor to start the pushing.

Although I had no sensation from the contractions or kidney stones, they walked me through how to make myself push without sensation. We continued the pushing for two and a half hours before both myself and the baby went into distress. The doctor performed a vacuum extraction and baby Nikolas was born at 6:41 AM on December 8. We were relieved and excited to welcome our son into this world!
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Nikolas's birth story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"