Birth Stories

RP: My excellent induction story

DH and I arrived at the hospital around 7:30am and got checked in and into our room by 8am. Then they did all the vitals and drew blood and started an IV. I got the pitocin started at 8:50. I had been contracting on my own on the monitors since I arrived. The pitocin drip is very gradual and the dose is increased every half hour until you get into a good pattern. I started to notice some changes in the contractions after about an hour. THey weren't painful but increasingly uncomfortable. My Dr came in and checked me around 10am ( i don't remember the exact time) anyway I was at 3cm and 100% effaced and I was happy about that. He said he would be back in a bit to break my water. I noticed the contractions getting stronger and they were starting to hurt now. By no means was it bad, but they were painful. The Dr came back in at 11 and broke my water and said I was at 4cm (yay!). I had heard that would cause stronger contractions and it did. They first one I had after my water was broken hurt a lot more and I was ready to ask for the epi. Good thing I did b/c there was a c-section at 11:30 so if I didn't get it when I did I would have waited until after the c-section and it may have been too late :o So the anesthesiologist came in and put in the epi which did not hurt at all!! I was sooooo nervous about that, but the only part that hurt was the numbing shot, but even that was no worse that a regular shot. After that it was just mild pressure, but totally bearable. It took about 15 minutes for it really to work, I could move my legs and feel them, I was just numb - like they were asleep. A few minutes later, my nurse came in to insert the foley catheter and checked me and I was now at 5cm and her head had come down so I was making good progress.
Around 12 - I told DH to go down and get lunch since it seemed like we had a couple hours. My mom was with me when my Dr came back in at 12:30 b/c I was feeling some rectal pressure and the nurse had noticed some signs on the fetal monitor that made her think I may be ready to push. Well, she was right and the Dr said I was complete. He was surprised and I was in shock. I told my mom to call DH and she did and told him to come back up ASAP. The Dr said I should only push for about half an hour with how low her head was. I started pushing at 12:45 and let me tell you it was HARD. They turned the epi down so I could feel when and where to push. I could. I didn't feel "pain" I felt pressure. And it was bad and I wanted it over. I got physically exhausted. I kept looking at the clock wondering why it was taking more than half an hour. The nurse kept telling me I was doing it right I just needed to get her past the pubic bone. After each contraction I would just put my head back and close my eyes. I really felt like I just couldn't do it anymore. The urge to push was so strong that I had to!! But it hurt so much to do it that I didn't want to! DH was there giving me ice chips and telling me I was doing great, but it was tough. Then I saw the Dr putting on all his gear and I knew I was close so I just gave it all I had. He said just 2 or 3 more pushes. I knew he did an episiotomy b/c I saw the scissors, but I didn't care, I wanted her out!!! Then DH said her head was out, but I knew it b/c it felt different, then her body came out with 1 final push and it was the best feeling of relief I have ever felt. It was amazing - I felt great. Tired, but great!!!!!! The placenta came out with no problem then he stitched me up and it was over.  Alexis Kaelyn arrived on 2/21 at 2:14pm and was 6lbs 4oz and 18in. 
I ended up pushing for a little over an hour, but my labor from start to finish was just over 5 hours so I can't complain. I felt great after and I still do, some soreness and discomfort but not bad.
image image

Re: RP: My excellent induction story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"