3rd Trimester

Question about feeling like bad period cramps

I am sorry but I am going crazy here. For the last 60 hours or so I have felt like i had the worst period cramps of my life. You know that day right before you get your period where your uterus feels like it weighs 100 pounds and you just cramp sooo badly?

I am just frustrated because I don't know what it is. I went to the OB yesterday and was on the monitor and there were no contractions. They don't feel like the contractions I had when I was in pre-term labor. Those came and went and involved my tummy hurting and feeling hard. These just stay and hurt but are not unbearable.

Has anyone else felt this late in your 3rd trimester? My ob had literally no answers for me. My mom said she thought that since the baby was head down and low, maybe my cervix had pressure and my pelvic muscles were stretching out? Please give me some answers!!! I am trying not to worry but with my experience of going in to labor and dialating 3 cm at 29 wks, I am scared.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question about feeling like bad period cramps

• I had a lot of that in the late third trimester last time.  And I was induced at 41 weeks, so it wasn't a sign of preterm labor for me.  From the posts I've read on here, it's a pretty normal thing to experience.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • No worries, I was feeling the same thing. I had my doctors visit yesterday and told him about itand he didn't think it was something to worry about. the main thing he said to watch out for if that was to happen again is bleeding/spotting or if the pain begins to be consistant on timing i.e 5 minsutes apart etc. He also said it could be braxton hicks (uterus "practicing" for the real deal). Good luck and i hope you don't have anymore harsh pain until the real deal. If you are too stressed try to relax, who knows we cold be creating a hormone that triggers the pains and not know. :)
  • image vernapayne:
    No worries, I was feeling the same thing. I had my doctors visit yesterday and told him about itand he didn't think it was something to worry about. the main thing he said to watch out for if that was to happen again is bleeding/spotting or if the pain begins to be consistant on timing i.e 5 minsutes apart etc. He also said it could be braxton hicks (uterus "practicing" for the real deal). Good luck and i hope you don't have anymore harsh pain until the real deal. If you are too stressed try to relax, who knows we cold be creating a hormone that triggers the pains and not know. :)

This! My OB said it was most likely BH. She said as long as there's no extra discharge, bloody discharge, and they go away with drinking water/laying on my side, it wasn't cause for concern.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had that with my first and they got increasingly more painful in the few days before I went into labor. Good luck!
  • I had them the week before Christmas.  I seriously, out of habit, kept going to the bathroom and checking to see if I'd started my period yet, because that's how much it felt like menstrual cramps.  I upped my water and tried to chill out (I got UBER stressed the week before Christmas).  I was watching really carefully for any weird discharge or decreased movement - nothing different other than the weird cramps.  When I went to my appt (which happened to fall on like the third day of these cramps), my doctor did an internal to check for dilation (I wasn't) and ran a test to check for some sort of "glue", she said, that indicates labor is starting (I didn't really get what she said because she was explaining it as she was doing the internal and it was painful, so that was my main focus).  Basically if it came back positive, they would be worried I was starting pre-term labor at 33 weeks.  If it came back negative, I was probably okay.  So when she found no dilation and the test came back negative, they stopped worrying about pre-term labor.  My OB said it was probably just some shifting of my uterus as he moved around and that maybe he was just having a really great growth spurt.  So, if you've been checked out and everything's okay, you may just have to deal.  Sucks, I know.  Mine went away about a day after my appt, so just take care of yourself!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thank you ladies. I knew it wasn't labor as my doctor checked me yesterday but they are just getting annoying and frustrating.

I am pretty much expecting to feel these at any time for the next 6 wks, even everyday I guess. I know when I had the "real" contractions and not BH, they were very timed and I felt the cramping but also really bad pain in what felt  like my stomach. Almost like a combo of the horrible diahrea and my period, with my tummy getting rock hard. Oh yeah and throw in your lower back aching and boy oh boy, aren't contractions fun!?? But at least they come and go!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't experienced this yet, but in my child birth class they mentioned it.  They said it can be something you experience when your body is getting ready for labor.  But, these symptoms such as the period cramps can happen weeks before you actually go into labor.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker