3rd Trimester

Anxious about internal stuffs?

Is anyone else out there starting to get anxious about all the internal exams and whatnot coming up? I've never been comfortable with doctors near my nethers (I was molested by a doctor as a young child... it's made things difficult) and I'm starting to get really anxious about how much my doctor is going to have to be doing down there, and how much the nurses and everyone are going to be going down there during delivery.

Anyone else feeling this? Any advice from repeat moms that might help? Please??? This has been a huge point of stress for me. Kinda silly I know, I knew what I was getting myself into when I decided to have a baby, but it's been hard!

Help?

Re: Anxious about internal stuffs?

• The internals can be uncomfortable but they only take a couple minutes at most. You might bleed at little after so be prepared for that, but it should be totally professional. They will let you get the robe on alone, you will always be covered, and only the dr will be down there.

The delivery is a whole different story but hopefully the pain of labor will help to get your mind off a dr down at your lady bits. :) 

• I was super nervous about starting internals, a couple weeks ago. So far I have had 2 internal appts, and they are honestly not that bad. A little discomfort, but you hear of people having spotting and stuff after, and I have so far had none of that. My doctor is really good about getting in and out quickly.....and she honestly hardly looks around down there either! haaha.

As for the nurses during delivery and stuff....if you feel like there are too many people in the room at any point I've always been told you can ask to have just your nurse thats checking you and your dr in the room during checks. Some hospitals have a lot going on in the delivery room, but it should be to your comfort level (within reason). Best of luck!! and remember....drs and nurses look at pregnant women all day long, they are so used to it, so there is nothing to be nervous about!!! GOODLUCK!

imageimage
  • If you feel anxious about internals, you don't have to have them done. Honestly, they give you zero indicators about when you're going into labor. You can be at 5cm for weeks, or you can be completely closed and your water could break that day. Plus, they increase your chances for infection so not only are they useless information but you're taking a risk getting them done as well.

Of course, when you're in labor that's a different story, but honestly I would turn down all internals until you're in active labor if I were you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Why not just refuse them? Internals before labor are not really important at all, and during labor just ask that they be kept to the minimum. I only had about 2-3 while in labor.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image madhatter2003:
    Why not just refuse them? Internals before labor are not really important at all, and during labor just ask that they be kept to the minimum. I only had about 2-3 while in labor.

This and the pp above. They are unnecessary unless there is a problem and increase risk for infection, etc. My practice (which is a collaborative doc/midwife practice) only does them at 39 and 40 weeks if you want them. And you can totally say no. I got one at my last appt with DS andw as 39w3d. I also kept them to a minimum while in labor. If you're that uncomfortable with them, just talk to your doc about "why" you need to have an internal, etc.

• I'm anxious about pushing a baby out of my vag in a couple of months.  The internal exams are the least my worries.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • At this point in time, I'm ready to get this baby out, so the whole hospital could watch my vag and I really dont care. 

Just remind yourself that you're doing this for the baby, so any internal exams that is a must if for your baby's own good! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image drpayne:
    I'm anxious about pushing a baby out of my vag in a couple of months.  The internal exams are the least my worries.

This!

The only thing that worries me about the internals is grooming before them!

• I was too and I got my 1st one last week.  It was not as bad as I had thought.  I had to get the Group B strep test taken so my doc asked if I would like to be checked and I said sure.  She did not even look at the area when she did the exam.  She just had on rubber gloves with a big a lube and inserted her fingers to feel for any dialation and the position of the baby's head.  My baby is head down and I was at -3 station.  It was a bit uncomfortable but not painful at all and I only say uncomfortable b/c you could feel a bit of pressure.  I have heard of people spotting or losing their MP afterwards but neither happened to me.  Good luck with your decision.  I did not want to opt out b/c while it is not an indicator of when you will go into labor it is just nice to know as much as you can about you progress and your baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had my first today. For my dr to swab for the strep B test and check my cervix was less than 30sec. He didn't even need to use a speculum or really even look. Honestly it was easier for me than my annual usually is.
  • During an internal exam you can

A) ask to have a nurse present

B)request your preferred doctor

C) tell the receptionist that you would like to schedule your last four appointments with your preferred doctor

an internal exam helps you and your doctor know if your body is preparing for labor or not  if your body wont dilate naturally you may need to stimulate dilation chemically (i needed cervadil with my second baby) internal exams during pregnancy may even help you during labor since you would be more used to it

• image Pamela05:
    I had my first today. For my dr to swab for the strep B test and check my cervix was less than 30sec. He didn't even need to use a speculum or really even look. Honestly it was easier for me than my annual usually is.

I have my first one today too; last time I was pg they went really well; quick & to the point!  I agree with the pp, for me it was definitely quicker than the annual exam - GL!

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards