Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Yogurt before 8 months....

I'm sorry for all the food questions. My son is 7 1/2 months. I started him on whole milk yogurt about a week ago. I read that it was okay after 6 months. Today, I saw an article saying it wasn't okay until a baby is a year and when I dug around some more I found a few more articles stating it wasn't okay until 8 months. I plan on checking with my pedi, but just wondering what others have been told.

Re: Yogurt before 8 months....

• We were told it was fine... and DD loves it!  We started around 6 months.
    abby 365

**Abigail (Abby) Lily**06/11/2010**7 lbs, 10 oz.**19.5 inches**

**Charlotte Harper**11/04/2012**7 lbs, 6 oz.**19 inches**

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Our pedi said we will discuss yogurt at our 9 month appt, but that she recommends we wait until a year or close to it before introducing anything made with whole milk.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I started giving her bites of mine around 7 months, but since we don't spoon feed she hasn't had any all herself yet.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• We did yogurt at prob 7 1/2 or 8 mo. We've had no problems. Pedi was fine w it.

• DD has yogurt pretty much every morning. She loves it. We started not long after 6 months. Her dr had no issue with it. I'm pretty sure the concern is with milk, because it can replace bm or formula, but yogurt is food like cereal or anything else. She also loves cottage cheese.

• image WildcatPrincess:
    I started giving her bites of mine around 7 months, but since we don't spoon feed she hasn't had any all herself yet.

You don't spoon feed?  What do you mean? (I'm not meaning to sound rude or judge-y, I'm curious as to why/what you do to give your baby babyfood.)

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
    Here we go again...
  • We started giving him the Gerber yogurt around 6 months. I'm not sure how much milk is in it. Honestly, I didn't ask my pedi.
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Roxpup:

image WildcatPrincess:
    I started giving her bites of mine around 7 months, but since we don't spoon feed she hasn't had any all herself yet.

You don't spoon feed?  What do you mean? (I'm not meaning to sound rude or judge-y, I'm curious as to why/what you do to give your baby babyfood.)

We do BLW so she feeds herself, we started solids at 6 1/2 months with table foods.  There are a few things, mashed potato for example, that I'll load on a spoon and she'll put it in her mouth herself, but she's not good enough yet to keep runnier stuff like applesauce or yogurt on a spoon.

• We started plain Dannon with fruit mixed in at 7 months. He loves it!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My pedi said start around 7-8 months, just a tablespoon or so every 2-3 days after a meal. We have not started yet. Even though that is what pedi said, I don't think I'll start till 9 months. Thats what we did with DS1. We did YoBaby and he LOVED it. Still loves yogurt. I see Gerber now makes yogurt, but it is not in the refrigerated section which weirds me out.
  • image WildcatPrincess:
    image Roxpup:

image WildcatPrincess:

We do BLW so she feeds herself, we started solids at 6 1/2 months with table foods.  There are a few things, mashed potato for example, that I'll load on a spoon and she'll put it in her mouth herself, but she's not good enough yet to keep runnier stuff like applesauce or yogurt on a spoon.

What is BLW?  I feel out of the loop.

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
    Here we go again...
  • image Roxpup:
    image WildcatPrincess:
    image Roxpup:

image WildcatPrincess:

What is BLW?  I feel out of the loop.

Me too...I haven't had as much time for Bumping these days. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • I tried yogurt about a month ago, but my LO had a bad reaction to it (rashes everywhere).  Haven't tried it since.
    image image image
  • I've given her the YoBaby yogurts since 6 months at Pedi's suggestion, actually.  She loooooves it.  She has it for breakfast nearly everyday.
  • We're planning to give it to DD in a couple of weeks - not for any particular reason, except that I wanted to introduce "stage 2" veggies, fruits, tofu and chicken before that.  I was told yogurt is fine anytime between 6 - 8 months. 
  • We tried the Gerber kind and Logan spit up a good 10 times after it. He is on Nutramigen (for bad reflux) so not sure if it's the milk he reacted to?

*Deb*
    Mom to 4 boys: Connor (11), Brandon (10), Ryan (7) (asthma), and my little refluxer, Logan born 06/03/10
    [center]
    image[/center]
  • DS LOVES yogurt.  Some pedi's just throw it in there with the whole milk stuff beause they're afraid ppl will cut back on formula!

Mommy to Briggs (8/22/10) and Helen (7/18/14)
  • Our pedi suggested waiting till 8 months but I think he is pretty conservative in his foods.

I gave DS some YoBaby last night and so far so good.