Breastfeeding

More milk on one side?

My right side seems to have a bit more milk- which I'm sure is normal, but I wanted to check. It fills up rather quickly though DS seems to drain both well when he eats. I also pump 2x a day for freezer stash purposes. I will often nurse him and get 2 oz or so on my left side and still get 4-5 oz on my right side, even though he ate on that side.

I don't know if I have overactive let down or anything- I know they both leak when I hear him cry overnight. He does this thing on the fuller side where he will latch, then after a few minutes he will grunt, push in, pull out and twist/clamp. I will unlatch, relatch, and he's okay (usually). I do hear him gulp on both sides, but not for the entire feeding, just a few times in a row.

With that said, the right nipple is a tad tender- not when he latches and is eating right, but when he clamps and pulls, it hurts and it is tender when he's not nursing. I am wearing cotton nursing bras and roomy cotton tees when around the house. 

I do have a lot of tingling- usually an hour after feeding him. 

He has gained a good amount of weight- 5.6 pounds at 1 week to 8.10 pounds at 5 weeks. 

Any thoughts or feedback is welcome! 

Re: More milk on one side?

• right side usually does produce more.  do you put him on that side always to start?  if so your asking that side to make more.  you shoulkd alternate what side you start with. so start with r and switch to l. next feeding srart with left go to r.  hes proboly having a hard time with you getting to let down and thats what the tugging is  gl
  • image Pytko7:
    right side usually does produce more.  do you put him on that side always to start?  if so your asking that side to make more.  you shoulkd alternate what side you start with. so start with r and switch to l. next feeding srart with left go to r.  hes proboly having a hard time with you getting to let down and thats what the tugging is  gl

I do, yes! I even put a rubber band on the wrist he finishes on so I make sure I am starting him on that side the next time!

Thanks for your reply!

• I have the same thing with my right side.  When I began nursing this was also the side that became more sore.  Soreness is not an issue anymore, but I still produce more and pump more from right breast.  I do notice that I have more foremilk on my right side when pumping, He gets to the hindmilk much quicker when nursing on left.

All my friends that have nursed also seem to have a side that produces more. 

• What is is with the right side?  Lol.  My right side produces more too.  When I pump at work I get 3-4 ounces on the left and 5 on the right, every time (I pump every 5 hours at work, I do 12 hour shifts).  Luckily DD doesn't seem to have a preference for one side or the other, and I try to BF more on the left when I'm at home to try and balance things out, but it hasn't worked so far.  I call lefty my lazy boob.  HA!
    BFP #1 - 2/1/09-mc 2/5/09 @4wks
    BFP #2 - 6/24/09-mc 7/25/09 @8wks
    6/09 Dx w/PCOS--Metformin & Progesterone
    8/09 Dx w/Compound Hetero MTHFR--Neevo, Metanx & BA
    BFP #3 - 1/11/10 - DD1 born 9/16/10 @39w4d, 8lbs 14oz & 20in.
    Heparin from BFP to 34wks.
    BFP #4 - 10/4/11 - DD2 born 6/2/12 @38w1d, 8lbs 11oz & 21in.
    Same med protocol as last time, but heparin continued until delivery.
    BFP #5 - 3/30/14, EDC 12/10/14!!

Beta #1-76 (12dpo), Beta #2-238 (14dpo)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers