3rd Trimester

circumcision question

2»

Re: circumcision question

• Thanks everyone for the responses and information.  I will obviously be making my own educated decision about the procedure.  I am researching it and gathering all of the information to make an educated decision that is best for our family.  I just wanted to get an idea of people's experiences and reasons.  I understand it's a heated topic as with any procedures that are done for religious and cultural reasons.  I appreciate everyone's posts.
  • imageDan Bollinger:

Then you need to send your ire to the CDC, not me. Here's the reference for that statistic. The CDC presented at an international medical conference and cited those stats as the latest. They reported the US infant circumcision rates as: 56% in 2006, 43% in 2007-2008, and 32.5% in 2009. Here is a copy of their slide:

El Bcheraoui C, Greenspan J, Kretsinger K, Chen R. Rates of selected neonatal male circumcision-associated severe adverse events in the United States, 2007-2009. Proceedings, AIDS 2010, Vienna, Austria. 5 Aug 2010. 

Actually, this is not from the CDC.  The research was done by an independent, private company, called SDI Health.  First of all, these figures only include hospital circumcisions, not those performed at religious ceremonies and not those which are not covered by insurance.

CDC spokeswoman Elizabeth-Ann Chandler wrote  ?C.D.C. was not involved in the collection of the data that was cited, nor has C.D.C. undertaken any review of this particular data for the purpose of calculating rates,? she wrote. ?As such, we cannot comment on the accuracy of this particular estimate of infant male circumcision.?

Secondly, SDI Health's CEO

"cautioned that the data had not yet been published and was still being analyzed, but he confirmed that the trend had been toward fewer circumcisions each year.  He added that measuring the circumcision rate was not the purpose of the study, which was designed to measure the rate of complications from the procedure." (NY TIMES, here's the full article :  https://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/17/health/research/17circ.html?_r=1&ref=health)

Anyway, I suppose each person should make the decision for themselves... just thought everyone should know that having your son circumcised at this time in the US will not necessarily make him a minority as an adult.

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Dan,

I can't help but notice that 1) you're about the only dude posting here on the 3rd-trimester board, 2) that you've posted only 7 times, and 3) that every single post has been an argument about male circumcision.

Sounds like you have a little bit of an agenda here.  What gives?  Is your wife pregnant, or are you just trolling ladies' pregnancy boards pushing your agenda?  I find that kinda weird.

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageaggiemeg:

Dan,

I can't help but notice that 1) you're about the only dude posting here on the 3rd-trimester board, 2) that you've posted only 7 times, and 3) that every single post has been an argument about male circumcision.

Sounds like you have a little bit of an agenda here.  What gives?  Is your wife pregnant, or are you just trolling ladies' pregnancy boards pushing your agenda?  I find that kinda weird.

Looks like he's just promoting his website.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/2/45732249/ShowThread.aspx
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"