3rd Trimester

When will your maternity leave start?

Hello ladies,

I'm just curious what you all have decided/or not decided when it comes to maternity leave.  I get FMLA and will take my full 12 weeks plus one week:) But I won't start untill I'm 39 weeks.  I sure wish I could take off at 37 weeks, but I want to spend as much time with LO when she gets here instead of using more time than necessary.

What are you doing? and why?

Happy holidays to all :)

Baby number 2 is on the way!! 1st - Kyla Faulk born 2/23/2011 My Wedding Bio BabyFruit Ticker

Re: When will your maternity leave start?

• My leave will start the day I have my son.  I am lucky enough to have the "work at home" option so I will do that starting on the day I am due, assuming I go late (I was 4 days late with my first and began working from home on my due date). I get 12 weeks FMLA so it's unpaid and I don't want to take any of that time off prior to DS getting here.  Every moment with them is truly precious so I don't want to waste any of that time!
  • I am taking 12 weeks of FMLA but then I'm super lucky and get what my company calls bonding leave. So, I'll get an extra 6-8 weeks for that (depending on whether I have a c section or not). So, I'm taking 18-20 weeks off...but, if I get lucky and get my doctor to "write" me off early, I could potentially take 2 extra weeks off. I need to start schmoozing him now!!

(Of course during the 18-20 weeks, I'm hoping to convince my husband that he loves his SAHM). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I will be working until the very last minute.  With our first, I worked on a Saturday and went into labor that Sunday.  :)
    (c) Holly Aprecio Photography - Oct 2011

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • *Technically* my leave started on Friday, as far as my work is concerned. I took FMLA so I could continue to get my insurance for the next 12 weeks, but I'm not coming back - My boss knows this, and is ok with it. I'm in the office this week, but only because I figured that if I come in, I can still get paid for the Christmas holiday. But tomorrow will be my last day for sure.
  • I will technically start mine on Monday January 3rd when I'm 39w2d but I have 2 outstanding PTO days at work that I can't carry over to the new year.   So they are letting me take those 2 days on Wednesday and Thursday next week (Friday is a Holiday for us) so my last day at work will be next Tuesday at 38w3d.  I can't wait!  I only have the rest of today, tomorrow will be a half day, Friday is a Holiday so my office is closed, and then Monday and Tuesday next week...yippieeee!!  Can you tell I'm very excited and counting down every minute?!

ETA: I get a total of 12 weeks

FET to TTC #2: 9/29/14 Beta on 10/8/14 = BFP!
    DS #1 Born 1/3/11 after IVF #1
    4 failed IUIs, including 1 CP
    PCOS
    TTC since 2008

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker

• I am waiting until the last minute for two reasons.

1.  I want as much time with LO as possible 

2.  If I can make it until my due date, I don't have to return to work until August (I'm a teacher and FMLA would run right into the summer...barely)

• My leave starts this Friday!  Woot woot!  I am having Julia on Tuesday!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had to schedule mine, so they could arrange coverage. I'm taking off two weeks before my due date in hopes that they'll be flexible should he come early.

I'm taking the 12 week FLMA and then two weeks vacation after that ends. When I come back I'll be coming back part-time for the first two weeks using another week of vacation to supplement it. Luckily I've been at my job for a while and have built up a lot of vactation. After all that I'll still have about three weeks in the 'bank' when I come back. I'm expecting to need that for sick-baby days.

• imageMarielle0430:

I will technically start mine on Monday January 3rd when I'm 39w2d but I have 2 outstanding PTO days at work that I can't carry over to the new year.   So they are letting me take those 2 days on Wednesday and Thursday next week (Friday is a Holiday for us) so my last day at work will be next Tuesday at 38w3d.  I can't wait!  I only have the rest of today, tomorrow will be a half day, Friday is a Holiday so my office is closed, and then Monday and Tuesday next week...yippieeee!!  Can you tell I'm very excited and counting down every minute?!

ETA: I get a total of 12 weeks

Yes I can and that is wonderful!!  Enjoy your time off with LO!!!

Baby number 2 is on the way!! 1st - Kyla Faulk born 2/23/2011 My Wedding Bio BabyFruit Ticker
  • January 21st will be my last official day of work even though I am working from home that whole week, then I am using 2 vacation days and my c-section is scheduled for Wed Jan 26th when my maternity leave will start. I will then be on leave for a little over 14 weeks. 
  • imageTjames9820:

Hello ladies,

I'm just curious what you all have decided/or not decided when it comes to maternity leave.  I get FMLA and will take my full 12 weeks plus one week:) But I won't start untill I'm 39 weeks.  I sure wish I could take off at 37 weeks, but I want to spend as much time with LO when she gets here instead of using more time than necessary.

What are you doing? and why?

Happy holidays to all :)

I am doing the same though it looks like I am headed for an induction at 39 wks so I will take off at 38 wks and be induced the following week. 

• My leave technically starts on January 1st when I will be 38+ wks, but because of the holidays I work the 23-27th and then I am off!! I am soo excited! Because I'm an Ontarian, we get 1 year mat leave from the government at 53% of our pay and my work tops me up to 83% of my wages for the first 6 months. I am hoping to stay off the year...that would be so great... but I'm thinking the 6 months is more reasonable. I honestly don't think I could go much more than these next 4 shifts.

GL

• I am stopping on Jan 15th and my due date is Feb 9th, so about 3 weeks before and 12 weeks after. The plan is to go back May 17th- so a total of about 16-17 weeks. Since I live in CA and work for a company of over 50 people I can start PDL leave up to 4 weeks before my due date, and 12 weeks after and get paid 55% of my wages through the state so thats what im doing, im guessing I could be a late week like lots of 1st time moms so thats why im stopping 3 weeks before my due date instead of 4. Either way im pretty excited to sit on my butt and not have to do anything, I am a retail manager so I am pretty much over the whole standing thing all day (and so are my poor super swollen feet). I would rather be at home bored, then at work tired at this point.
    Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm stopping at 38 weeks - I am high risk so will have a lot of doc apts towards the end and it seems like it would just be annoying for everyone if I was popping in and out all the time.
  • I decided to take mine January 13th (my c/s is January 17th). I had planned on working up until the day before but I'm in some serious pain and really don't think I'm going to make it to the 17th. Then I'll return to work February 14th.
  • I'm going to work as long as possible and will be taking FMLA for the full 12 wks.
  • I am going to work from home, starting 2 weeks before my EDD.  Once baby is born, I am taking only 2-3 weeks completely off from work (no pay), then I will work from home for 10-12 weeks after.  I get absolutely no paid leave, so I am going to work from home so I can keep bringing in a paycheck.

• the day i give birth.. working til the end!
  • Jan 14- yahoo, I'm due Feb 2.  I will be out till May 2, a bit over 12 weeks.  Fortunately work for a bunch of women who get it since my school is too small to have to follow FMLA.  Unfortunately I only get 3 paid days for maternity leave but I have AFLAC so that will help a little.  
  • I had planned this whole time to work up until I went into labor just like I did with DD. However, I am completely miserable and uncomfortable and my work situation doesn't help at all. My maternity leave with start the 1st of January and I will be just a couple of days shy of 40 weeks. I'll still have about 8 or 9 weeks off after baby is born.
    IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yesterday was my last day.  I am a teacher and we are off now anyways but I was just 38 weeks on Monday.  I too, wanted to save any time after just in case it is needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"