2nd Trimester

Like a name but can't use it for some ridiculous reason?

Re: Like a name but can't use it for some ridiculous reason?

• If we have a boy we want to name him Miles and I like a middle name that starts with a N. The problem is our last name starts with an M. I would start to call him my little M 'n' M. So...DH said no N middle names.
  • We decided on Maya for a girl's name after DH's father who passed this past year (his name was Myron).  We're still trying to figure out a middle name.  I thought it was cute to continue the theme and turn my father's name (Daniel) into Danielle making her name Maya Danielle... but Danielle is my DH's ex-fiance's name.  I don't care, but he has too many bad connections with the name.   Stupid biotch ruined it! LOL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I Looooved Sawyer on LOST, he is in a different level of hotness
  • I've liked the name Jacob for a while, I think Jake/Jacob sounds nice with out last name, but due to the Twilight movies my DH says "H*ll No."

I've also always loved the name Bella, but 1) my niece is Isabella and 2) our last name is Tinker. Could you imagine, Bella Tinker, lmao.

• I loved the name Isabella-thanks a freaking lot Twilight.
  • Our name guidelines were just that we couldn't pick a name that is the same as someone that he or I dated. We were really picky. We were making sure that they wouldn't get made fun of because it rhymed with something. And we checked to make sure the initials didn't spell out something that he could get made fun of. We ended up with Arlen Isaac. My husband liked Arlen and I wanted Isaac because that was my grandpa's name. Unfortunately, our last name begins with "P" so I'm a little worried about his initials spelling AIP and kids would call him "ape". But we're so stuck on this name that I'm just gonna have to get over it.
  • That's funny because those were my initials before I got married. Monica Ann Diaz. And yes, I was teased for it but not too bad. I felt better after I got to the third grade and another girl had the same initials as me Smile
  • I really like Ella also.  I named my baby Elle.  Because Ella reminded me of Ella Fitzgerald.  Who I like but my daughter does not look anything like her Stick out tongue

• LOL I love the name Caleb for a boy, and my husband said we could never use it because it was his grandpa's dog's name.  Seriously!?!?  Who names a f-ing dog Caleb?!  We ended up with Noah which is nice but Caleb will always be my number 1 name I wanted...
  • Choosing names for our twin boys couldn't have been easier, first born son is named after daddy, and the second born was named after my second hubby who passed away from cancer, (DH suggested we do this!), but with our last name, obviously.  We actually have talked about baby names in the past 5 years since conceiving the boys, and came up with a list of names for the future...all boys names.  The only girls name we can agree on, and are ok with the initials is Isabella Skylar...(initials are I.S.P.) I was upset about the whole "Twilight" thing at first since we had already picked out our future baby name, but I was going to call her Belle because I LOVE Beauty & the Beast.  She will always know she wasn't named after Isabella from Twilight...

On a side note, DH wants to use any and all names from Star Wars too, even if it's just middle names...I like Star Wars, but...ummmm...no...sorry hun...

• I'm the oldest of 8 kids and my parents took most of the names I was in love with to name my younger siblings Smile Though, I actually know someone who named their daughter after their sister (who is still living). It gets confusing at times.

For those of you who are worried about kids being made fun of because of initials (like, MAD, ASS, etc.), most of the time you don't introduce yourself to people with your middle name, so most likely it won't be problem. My maiden name is the same as a popular literary character which always prompted the question "are you related to [character from book]?" As if that's even possible, hahaha. My point is that sometimes you can't even control what your kid will be teased about, so if you really like the name combo, don't worry about the initals.

We had a name picked out for a girl, but my friend just had a little boy last May (he'll be exactly a year old when we have our baby in May) and she named him the same name that we were planning to use (it's a unisex name). I can't really use it for this baby since it's so close to her baby and I don't want her thinking I'm copying her, but we figure maybe with a future daughter. My friend lives in another state and we don't see her very often, so I don't think it'll be too confusing, plus I like the name for a girl and her baby was a boy.  :::shrug::: 

• imageksiebert1974:

I LOVE the name Avery. But DH says it sounds too much like Ovary (dork) and reminds him of Avery labels. 

I liked Taryn, but he said that made him think of "Tear'in it up."

I loved Sophia and actually had DH on board with it until I realized how stupid Sophie (which I'm sure at some point she would be referred to as) sounded with our last name...which starts with an S.  Sounded way to Hannah Montana for me. 

So Megan Victoria it is...nice and traditional. 

My BFF loved the name Avery, her hubby didnt so she went through and added each letter of the alphabet to it and ended up with her 2nd boy named Zavery. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm gonna disagree. Sawyer is a very hot man on LOST :) DIRRRTY hot. yummy. :)

I agree with this.  To me, Sawyer is a boy name.  I LOVE the name Sawyer for a boy (but it sounds horrible with our last name!).  I personally do not like the name Sawyer for a girl.  That's just my opinion though!!!  :) 

LOST is one of the reasons that I love that name! Who knows, we may just suck it up and choose it anyway. lol!

Lurking from 3rd tri... Sawyer is an awesome boy name!  Not girly to me!

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I ruled out any names of ex lovers right off the bat. I dont know, to me that just seemed weird. I'm not even pregnant yet and we have both our girl and boy named picked out. (we arent going to find out the gender until birth).

Also ruled out Cassandra and any form of it like Cassie, Cass. BFF was a foster mom and it seemed all her crazy birth moms were named that!

I'm set on the middle name Nikova, but my friends say its too close to the stripper's name. I personally dont care. lol.

I also already said if its a boy, the name DH wants (Donovan) will not be shortened to Don or Donnie. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I went through both mine and my husband's family histories and pulled out all the names I liked.  My sweetheart ruled out all virtue names so no Charity, Remember, Deliverance or Thankful.  We plan to name our daughter for a brother I lost last year and I thought Remember might be a cute way of doing that.  Instead we're looking at Josephine, which I also really like and probably would have been my top choice anyway.
  • ok this tops them all my hubby hated every name and then he buys a name book n picks out zoie (which was the very last name) then my sister demands that i cant nme her that cuz shes called that name! and proceds to get the whole family to try to picks sides. oh and on a side not she wasnt preganant and since then shes had only boys. but she even started a pole in her cafemom blag about it trying to brow beat me into changin but the hubby wasnt relenting. so yeah shes zoie dawn and 4 years later she still hasnt had a girl lol.

destiney

• I also found Amaya when we were prego with our first daughter. With his last name being Algood, we figured innocent Lauren would be a better fit:) I could imagine the boys in high school, " Am i all good?" UGH!
  • I love the name Ruby sounds so old and classic; first thing DH said was "rhymes with Boobie...." nice huh?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love the name Parker for either sex.  But my cousin named her baby Parker...so its out even though it was my grandfathers name, a grandfather who is not related to her.  I was so sad! 

• imagemarshmueller:

imagerobbie3982:
    Pretty much all names from LOST are out for us or people will just think we're obsessed.

Haha--is it bad the names on our short list are Desmond and Penelope? Sawyer is definitely out because it's the name of my DH's cousin (a girl).

I don't know if you noticed my ticker, but DS's name is Desmond Jacob.  That's why we can't use anymore lost names.  Smile

The show was just full of great names though!  Many of them are family names too.

imageimage

• imagedeo:
    DH veto'd a name because it was the name of one of his friend's girlfriend in high school and he thought that girl was skanky .  Seriously?  That's getting a bit far removed.

Haha that sounds like something my DH would do!

• I really like the name Noah for a boy, but we have decided not to go with it since my husband's last name is Ark...

Noah Ark.

Enough said:P

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We had the most fabulously unique and beautiful name for a girl, avani (sanskrit for earth) ildri (scandinavian for fire) after me and daddy who are earth and fire signs, respectively. when we found out we were having a boy, we both wanted to name him for our father, so my dad+dh's late dad= James Ralph. I dont so much care for the name ralph but i couldn't even think of telling dh that, it was his dads name and they were very close! I woulda liked James Grant...but compromise is the heart of love lolz or so they say

• we are trying to honor both grandmas with a girl, and grandads with a boy, but luckily DIL has our nephew named after him already...otherwise our son would be Rick James!!!
  • Ohhh the name game.  I never had a preference either way for names or girl vs. boy, but when i found out i was pregnant, i was SURE it was a girl and that the name would be Elena.  Never particularly liked it for any reason, but it popped into my head when i found out, the daddy loved it too, no arguments, it is a spanish name (baby is 1/4 cuban) and we even found a beautiful vietnamese middle name to go with it - Minh (baby is 1/4 vietnamese).

Then we went to the 20 week ultrasound, and found out our little Elena Minh had a penis.  Not going to work so much.  SO after months of arguing and vetoing, we now call the baby Tuna, and every-time someone asks 'Have you found a name yet' i want to elbow them in the face, because no.  i have NO NAMES.  Every name we each pick the other hates, and i am really afraid this baby is going to be The Nameless One.  On the plus side, neither of us HATES the name Jonathan, but it still seems so vanilla for a baby that is 1/4 cuban, 1/4 vietnamese, 1/4 italian, and 1/4 korean, with two parents as crazy as he and I...

• I've always loved the name Isabella or Bella for a daughter. When I had my daughter last September, all the tweens and teens were obsessed with that damn vampire book series. I don't want anyone to think I named my daughter after a horrible heroine in vampire series
  • I've always loved old romantic era names.

I was thinking about the names Edward and Isabella until everyone started connecting them to the Twilight saga but I liked those names before they got big :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • We've been told we shouldn't use our boy's name for a ridiculous reason.  We both love the name Reid and he wants to use Richard for a middle name after his beloved, departed stepfather.  Then someone reminded us that the head of the Fantastic Four is... Reid Richards.

Screw it.  It's our baby, and if he reads Fantastic Four when he gets bigger, he can laugh at the coincidence.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a teacher, and I used to sub, so my list of names I can never use because I'll forever associate them with a misbehaving student is longer than the list of names I CAN use. 

imagegrace782:
    I love the name Rebecca, but because our last name starts with R, DH has vetoed all R names. Confused

My last name starts with a Z, so I have the same rule.  I feel like Z names are a little bit quirky to begin with, so pairing a Z first name with a Z last name sounds like you're just trying to be ridiculous.

But there's nothing wrong with pairing Rebecca with an R last name.  My middle name is Rebecca and my last name was Ross, and they never sounded weird together.  Plus I got to keep the same middle initial when I got married!  Bonus!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • We had the same issue because I work in the front office of an elementary school so I deal with all the problem kids. Every name would remind me of a child I had to deal with on a regular basis so it wasn't going to fly for my child's name. Luckily the name we are going with I have yet to run into a student with that name and hopefully it stays that way. I loved the name Phoenix, but had a horrible student named that so it was completely ruined for me when I got pregnant.
  • I like the name Alistair, but my friend recently said it sounded like a girl name.

It's NOT a girl name...but now I can't help but wonder if other people think the same thing.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My stepsons names mean fire & water.  My husband wants our child's name to mean earth or air.  I love Gaia, which means earth, but his ex had a shop with the same name, so that's out!
  • We liked the name Jack, after my husbands Grandfather, but unfortunately his brother used it as a second name for his son - so it would be a bit lame to go there again. Too back - cute name.
  • I was in the final stages of labor and had everyone in my room searching through baby name books because I had SUCH a hard time finding a name for my little girl.

Had I been pregnant with a boy, he would have been named the day I got my first positive pregnancy test. However... as luck would have it I wound up with a girl and ... after going to an all girls school where everyone annoyed me- it was hard to think of a name that didn't bring back irritating memories! :)

Some where in the 3rd trimester I discovered that I LOVE this name that starts with a B, but all of the women, to include myself, have been given the middle name Marie for several generations now and I wanted to honor that since I couldn't directly honor my grandma's name 'cause I'm a Jennifer and can't appreciate the name Jennie... even if it was grandma's name. Sorry!

SO... then it came down to the fact that baby's initials would be BM if I stuck with the name that I loved. Not good.

Then I really couldn't switch out Marie for Jennie as the middle name cause then it would be BJ- so wrong in so many ways.

Then I discovered another B name and an E name that I loved- and I realized that the combo was perfect as first and middle... but then I started a new job and guess who my only two co-workers were???? B and E!!! I loved the one, but the other drove me nuts. Which left me again with the B dilemma.

• I loved Mason too but hunny wasn't sold on it.  Then someone pointed out it was the Kardashian's little one and I think that sealed it as a no way for both of us!
  • imageLegalLadyBug:
    I don't know if this is ridiculous or not but DH and I like the name Elise. However, since her nn would be "Ellie" we can't use it because MIL's dog's name is Ellie. 

Pet names in our families are an issue. Between our family pets, IL's pets, my parents' pets, and the recently deceased, we are omitting:

Jack (we both like)

Clay

Eve

Mia (which I love)

Morgan

Daphne

Bree

THIS is why you don't give your pets people names! And yes, we see all of these pets on a weekly basis.

We also both like Gwen, but are conflicted about whether it will matter in the long term to have kids named Gavin and Gwen. Probably not, but I would hate for people to think for a second that we named them after celebrities, LOL.

• That's the same with my family. My brother is RAD. My father is DAD- which works since he's my dad. Also he's a artistic photographer and signs his work that way. Just be careful with other vowels in the middle it can look weird.
  • 2 or 3 years before the Twilight books came out I had decided if I ever had a boy I would name him Gabriel Edward. Yeah, that's NOT HAPPENING anymore.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • We both liked the name Jason, but my grandma had a dog named Jason about 15 or 20 years ago. People still talk about the dog, so we didn't want people to associate the baby with a dog. Luckily we had a girl, so we didn't have to worry about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"