2nd Trimester
Options

What do you look for in a Pediatrician?

I kind of know the basics as to what to look for, still I would like to know what other mommy's consider when looking for one. 

Re: What do you look for in a Pediatrician?

• Options
    I always make sure that the Pedi is easy to talk to and will listen to my concerns and questions. I want to feel comfortable around them. I could not imagine a doctor that ignores me or does not take the time to listen to me. 
  • Options
    for me personality is big. I also want someone who I feel is going to be thorough and not just pass things off by the way they look.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We just had to switch due to a move and here are some of the things that won me over with our new pediatrician:

1. Call and talk to the people who answer the phone. If they are sympathetic and patient with you, that is a bonus. You may call in a panic if something is wrong and you want someone who will care about your concern as much as you do!
    2. Check for a pediatrician with a well side and a sick side in the waiting room. It makes a big differenece on the annual well child visits during flu season when you don't want your kid anywhere near all the coughing and runny noses Big Smile
    3. I love that my pediatrician walks in and talks to me first about my concerns and then checks out DD and gives their analysis. I have a friend who recently had a pediatrician visit where the Dr. basically walked in and went straight to the child and made their analysis without even consulting with the parent. Bad bedside manner with the parents! This sounds so silly but a big thing to me is if they look you in the eye while they are talking to you. It's a sign of respect to you as the parent.
    4. An in house lab so you aren't waiting for results or taking a sick child across town for blood work should it be needed. This will save time and anxiety!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Personality is a big deal for me as well.  The pediatrician that I've chosen for LO is great - he has 4 sons at home, so he's very good with entertaining chidlren, especially comfortable around boys.  He's got a dry sense of humor (so do DH and I), and he's thorough.  He comes in, talks to the parents, and then does his exam.  When the child is old enough to talk, he interacts with the child more - asks the child questions and doesn't talk over his or her head. 

I'm excited for him to be LO's doctor, and I absolutely adore his nurse!  

• Options

Our pedi is a group of 12 that work out of 3 offices - one is close to our home and one is on the way home for work. That was a huge bonus for us.

Most importantly for us was finding someone that would work with the delayed vaccine schedule we wanted to do. I'm not in the no vax camp but I did my research and was only comfortable with a delayed schedule so I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to be arguing with a pedi about this. 

I like that we are able to get appointments very quickly thanks to the amount of dr.s that work in the offices. 

• Options
    When DD was younger I wanted to make sure it was someone who listened to my questions (even if he has heard the 500 times) and answered them in a way I would understand..I have found some doctors that talk down to me about certain issues with DD, maybe because I am a young mom...but speak to me like a normal person not someone who knows every fancy medical term.  Also, supporting EBF was a big one for me..I ran into several doctors who would give me a hard time about DD's weight/size and would discourage BFing.  Even since being on whole milk DD is just tiny and her regular pedi understands that and knows her growth pattern.  As DD has gotten older I pay attention to how the doctors interact with her.  She had to see a different lady a few months ago and the lady didn't talk/play or let DD warm up to her before she started examining her and DD flipped out.  I love our pedi because he is down to earth and really makes sure DD feels comfortable with him, plus she was born tongue tied and we were in between jobs with DH and had no ins at the time and he fixed it free of charge so I could continue BFing with no issues..that made me love him right there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I wanted someone I felt comfortable with. I don't want to feel stupid calling and asking questions. I didn't want someone who was so set in their ways that if I did things differently than he/she liked, I would feel bad about it. I wanted someone knowledgeable about breastfeeding and who would support it.

I love love love my pedi!

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    imagenadine21404:

We just had to switch due to a move and here are some of the things that won me over with our new pediatrician:

1. Call and talk to the people who answer the phone. If they are sympathetic and patient with you, that is a bonus. You may call in a panic if something is wrong and you want someone who will care about your concern as much as you do!
    2. Check for a pediatrician with a well side and a sick side in the waiting room. It makes a big differenece on the annual well child visits during flu season when you don't want your kid anywhere near all the coughing and runny noses Big Smile
    3. I love that my pediatrician walks in and talks to me first about my concerns and then checks out DD and gives their analysis. I have a friend who recently had a pediatrician visit where the Dr. basically walked in and went straight to the child and made their analysis without even consulting with the parent. Bad bedside manner with the parents! This sounds so silly but a big thing to me is if they look you in the eye while they are talking to you. It's a sign of respect to you as the parent.
    4. An in house lab so you aren't waiting for results or taking a sick child across town for blood work should it be needed. This will save time and anxiety!

I agree totally with all of this.  My first pedi was HORRIBLE!  I really didn't know better cause it was my first child.  And honestly I wouldn't have known until after I had taken her a couple of times.  Luckily we have moved and I have found a great pedi that meets all of the above expectations.  Just remember, if you are not happy with the one you chose, you can always shop around for another one.  Your LO deserves the best! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"