Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Wait... Propping after BD is REAL?

I was always of the opinion that you get up right after sex and go pee or risk getting a UTI.  That all the viable sperm have already started the journey and that anything that comes out right after is just fluid and non-viable sperm. Propping your hips is an old wives tale and something that newbies think.  

In a post just a few down from here ppl were saying that their GYNs and REs were RECOMMENDING to prop their hips for 20-30 min after sex...In my defense neither my RE or my GYN has ever mentioned propping to me before.

fukkkk...have I been doing it wrong?! 

Re: Wait... Propping after BD is REAL?

• Options

Nope, my GYN just recommended to me on Tuesday that I should NOT be propping or waiting to pee or else risk another UTI.  You're correct in thinking that you should pee it out after sex.

On the other hand, my GYN did tell me to "have sex around the 14th day", so she does have one strike in my book. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That is the general rule of thumb.  However I've come to think that some people are simply more prone to them no matter what they do.  ::knocks on wood:  I almost never get up to pee after sex and I've never ever had a UTI.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    In the beginning of my TTC journey my OB told me to lie in bed for about 20 minutes after sex. She did not recommend propping your hips. However, when you get an IUI, they raise your hips for 10-20 minutes after the procedure. 
  • Options

My friend went out a bought a special pillow to prop her up.  No joke.  She was KU 1 month later...hmmmmm LOL

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Sex and trust if propping was really such a good idea don't you think someone would have laid out the specifics by now...to what degree you have to prop, for how long you have to prop and all that.

Ladies who have had an IUI please correct me if I am wrong. but I think RE's will recommend propping after an IUI but it is not because they are worried the sperm will fall out from what I understand it is because of the potential of uterine cramping or spasms following the procedure and being elevated can ease those.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 3/17/10 Missed M/C Confirmed 4/12/10

MIF+Unexplained DX Feb 2012: Femara+Trigger+IUI=BFP AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageKdgTeacher:
    That is the general rule of thumb.  However I've come to think that some people are simply more prone to them no matter what they do.  ::knocks on wood:  I almost never get up to pee after sex and I've never ever had a UTI.

agreed

• Options
    My gyno has said to just remain still for 15-20 min after. I agree though that some women are just prone to them no matter what. I've only ever had one (a few years ago) and I rarely get up immediately to pee. In fact, abt a week ago, I fell asleep right after we had sex and didn't pee...then had sex again when we woke up and I didn't pee for quite awhile after that. No UTI :) *knock on wood*
  • Options
    imageMilliways:

Sex and trust if propping was really such a good idea don't you think someone would have laid out the specifics by now...to what degree you have to prop, for how long you have to prop and all that.

Ladies who have had an IUI please correct me if I am wrong. but I think RE's will recommend propping after an IUI but it is not because they are worried the sperm will fall out from what I understand it is because of the potential of uterine cramping or spasms following the procedure and being elevated can ease those.

Milli, I am not sure about the reason for elevating your hips after an IUI. I've had to do it both times though.

Imagine. . .a section in TCOYF that gave step by step instruction for the correct degree of hip propping. LMBO. 

• Options

My OB told me to prop my hips with a pillow for 30 minutes after sex. So, I have been, no UTI's (knock on wood!) yet.

But, this is also coming from someone who tries to stay on her back after sex, bc I never know which side I'm ovulating on, and I don't want gravity to work against me. Embarrassed

• Options
    My OB/GYN suggested this, and I have read it in quite a few places. I DO get UTI's, so before ttc I would get right up and pee. However, since trying, I lay on my back for 20 mins before going to pee. I do not always "hip prop" but I do try to lay there a little.
  • Options
    Last week I had a nurse from my obgyn office tell me to prop up my hips for 15-20 mins after sex. Two of my friends that got pregnant on their first cycle (with no charting) both said they put a pillow under their butt for 15 mins after sex. IDK
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options

I was told to prop for 20 minutes with your hips on a pillow!  I was one to always get up and pee and this worried me at first but I believe it helped with my last !! I have not had a UTI from this either (knock on wood) Soooo I hope it helps :) GOod Luck!

BabyFetus Ticker

TTC SINCE 7/2010, BFP-10/2010 ended in miscarriage 11/2010 : (.....
    Progesterone level 4/2011= 11.29. SA normal. HSG normal.
    8/11 Clomid 50mg=BFN progesterone level 35,
    10/11 Clomid 50mg =BFN progesterone level 31,
    11/11 Clomid 50mg=BFN progesterone level 12,
    12/11 Clomid 50mg=Progesterone 31
    01/12-Break from meds-BFN
    Feb-cd3 blood work FSH(5), AMH(0.56) 02/12 Break....
    03/01/12-Clomid 50mg with IUI #1=BFN.
    04/01/12-Another round of clomid with IUI#2=BFN.
    5/8/12-Diagnostic Laparoscopy-found minimal endometriosis and small fibriod.
    June and July-much needed break
    August-Bravelle 75 with IUI#3- BFN
    September-Bravelle injects with IUI #4-BFP!! MC 10/7/12 : ( Sonohysterogram-Normal
    December- Bravelle(3 good follicles & E2 1252) with IUI#5 BFFN :*(
    July IVF #1- BFP! : )  Beta #1-245, #2- 703, #3- 1655, #4- 3553 YAY!  Praying and Praying this one sticks around!
                      1st U/S scheduled for Aug 23rd!  
    Twins!!
    We are having a BOY & a GIRL !!

• Options
    imageMilliways:

Most don't "prop" you, they just have you continue to lay down for 20 minutes, which is what I did.  But yeah, it's not for the sperm, it's because of the cramping I think.  I guess they don't want you doubling over as you walk out of the doctor's office.

• Options
    I always get up and pee a few minutes after we're finished. No hip-propping here.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageKdgTeacher:

This. I've never had one, and I prop with a pillow for 10-15 minutes after sex.

• Options
    My midwife recommended the hip-prop for 20-30 minutes after sex, but she did first ask if I had ever had a UTI, which I have not. Actually a coworker of mine SWEARS by this method, she insists that this is the reason she got pregnant on the first try with each of her kids. To each his own... everyone has little things they try. Some may say the same about Robitussin or green tea, etc.

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

• Options

imageKdgTeacher:

Hahaha... I'm the same way... mostly cuz I'm lazy and I like my cuddle time darn it!

TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

• Options

I do prop up my hips. I did not know about it until I used google.   I read on TCOYF Forum, ladies suggested having orgasm after bd, staying on left side for 5 min, right side for 5 min and back for the 10 last min. I started doing so during ttc -2 1/2 years -got pregnant after 3 months of doing.

Not sure if that contributed to it, I also did some other stuff (my fertility smoothie, vitabiotics conception vitamin,preseed, eating mostly organic fruits and veggies- juicing carrots and org apples, combined recipes and tips from fertility books, prayed, grapefruit to help CM,Oysters from Trader Joes in can $2.99 -DH & I ate - heard great for sperm &Wild Salmon for Omega 3). We disciplined ourselves for 3 months and it worked. I was tired and decided to avoid meds and go organic & natural full force!

I have never had any UTI, I just make sure I pee after my 20 minutes.

Anything to help  those swimmers! Never hurts! 

P.S Those interested in eating natural, organic & whole foods. I would suggest reading the books below: My Top books for fertility!

If you cannot afford to purchase them, you can loan them from your local library for FREE!!

1. Real Food for Mother and Baby: The Fertility Diet, Eating for Two, and Baby's First Foods  by Nina Planck from $6.19 at amazon

2. Making Babies: A Proven 3 month Program for Maximum Fertility - Sami S. David & Jill Blakeway  from $14.09

3. The Fertility Diet: What to Eat to Maximise Your Chances of Having a Baby and to Enhance Libido at Any Age by Sarah Dobbyn from $12.11

4. Green Fertility: Nature's Secrets For Making Babies: A Powerful Proven Plan To Help You Get Pregnant Fast & Have a Healthy Baby by Niels H. Lauersen and Colette Bouchez from $10.79

5. Fertility Foods: Optimize Ovulation and Conception Through Food Choices by Jeremy Groll and Lorie Groll from $0.76 - great for those with PCOS or diabetic. Gives tips and food suggestions to help with insulin resistance.

6. Fertility, Cycles & Nutrition 4th Edition by Marilyn M. Shannon

7. The New Fertility Diet Guide: Delicious Food Secrets To Help You Get Pregnant Faster At Any Age  $10.54 amazon

8. Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats [Paperback] by Sally Fallon  $15.99

9. Greens Glorious Greens: More than 140 Ways to Prepare all those great tasting, super healthy, Beautiful leafy greens. by Johnna Albi $14.93

10. The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam $11.55

11. Vegan with a Vengeance : Over 150 Delicious Cheap animal free recipes that rock ... by Isa Chandra Moskowitz $12.21.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"