Toddlers: 24 Months+

food refusal... help us!

What do you do about your toddlers who refuse to eat the food you put in front of them...especially veggies.  I really hate this battle, because I was a really picky eater as a kid, but I don't know what to do.  She pretty much refuses all veggies now.  I'm thinking of starting out her meals with the veggies and if she doesn't eat them, she doesn't get to eat.  I know that sounds harsh, but I don't want to always have to make special meals for her and if she was hungry enough, I know she would eat them...  about a month ago, this was not an issue...she ate the all.  I know she can stand the taste because she leaves them in her mouth, she just won't swallow them.  Ugh, I just don't know what to do anymore...

Re: food refusal... help us!

• I have the WORST eater! She is beyond picky! She used to eat normally when she was a baby. My doctor told us that it's just a phase and that it should pass.
  • I don't play games with DS. If offer him his plate and he eats what he wants. I NEVER make a special meal. He will eat if he is hungry. You can't force them to do anything so it's totally not worth the fight to me. DH tries to force him and it gets ugly. He now knows that what is offered is his only option for food. Stay strong and don't give in.
  • I don't push it.  I put the veggies on his tray first (while I prepare the rest of his meal) so if he's reallllly hungry, he'll take a few bites.  If not, whatever.  He's not going to die for lack of veggie eating, and the bigger deal I make of it, the bigger the issue becomes.  I hated veggies as a kid and came around later in life.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic