Indiana Babies
Options

big reveal :) (PIP heavy)

After buying the house in April/May of 2009, tearing it down to joists and studs and rebuilding over the past year-and-a-half, we finally have a home I feel proud of! Thanks for listening to all the whining, venting and obsessing in the meantime :) I appreciate the support and opinions!

I'm going to post before, during and after shots of most of the rooms so this is going to be long! Haha :)

The front room. Note the spectacular shag carpet. Behind that red wall we found mold and leaking washer pipes. Also, under the front door threshold the sill plate and joists were rotted and the previous owner had scabbed together a crappy support to cover the fact that the foundation was essentially crumbling. Awesome.

After. I love it. This is more a "sitting" room than a "living" room but it's a great room to read a book or listen to the radio in.

Christmas decor - tree in the background

The dining area/kitchen was not an open space when we first purchased the house. It was closed off, joined only by a small doorway. Oddly, the kitchen was semi-opened up to the family room in the back. So confusing. This area was relatively free from damage, though we did replace a few of the joists under the kitchen.

The kitchen now. I designed the entire thing :) Pretty proud of that fact. I painted, distressed, stained and sealed the cabinets. I designed the shelving and my uncle built them. The kitchen is just really a reflection of my tastes and while I know it's not for everyone, Abe and I really love it! The only thing I'm not satisfied with is the sink. We'll be replacing it with the single bowl farmhouse sink from IKEA sometime this year.

LOVE my island. We rehabbed it after "rescuing" it from the porch of an abandon house. I found the basket in the back room of a dusty old antique shop and paid $5 for it! Heck of a deal. It holds a lot of pottery and G's bath stuff.

You can't see much of it, but Abe and I salvaged an antique door. I rubbed a little paint/antiquing glaze on it, some chalkboard paint and now we have a large message board in our kitchen.

Our little dining area. It's plain and simple but I like it. Also, my nephew Coop is sitting there :) such a cutie. 

The family room is one of the biggest transformations in terms of style and comfort. We also had to replace joists in this room. We also tore down all the paneling and replaced it with drywall. We found a carpenter ant infestation behind the paneling - just another thing we had to deal with. We LOVE this room now. I wish I had more/better after pics. I'll have to take more during the day :)

Now, the coziest room in the house:

The half bath was sick sick sick. Nasty, shag carpeting. Stained, disgusting toilet. The smallest/lowest vanity sink I've ever seen. Gross.

After, we have a nice, cute little powder room. Just wanted to mention the nest on the back of the toilet wasn't my idea - my mom's. Haha. She's a nut. I pick my battles.

This picture just shows the new floors we've put in. Eventually, we'll put this tile in the full bath as well... once we decide to tackle that project. Yikes. May be a year or two. 

I'm just going to show "afters" for the rest of the rooms. The office and the nursery had to get all new joists. The master bedroom was one of only two rooms in the house that did not have structural damage underneath!

I bought our bedding from Ebay, Tuesday Morning and got one pillow and two shams from Pottery Barn. It is all Ralph Lauren and Pottery Barn bedding. Fancy, fancy. Haha. I love our bed.

G's room is one of my favorite rooms. It's so happy!

And finally, my office. I love my little workspace. It's the smallest room in the house but I don't mind :) My desk is an old table that was once used outside as a potting bench. I modified a few things and stapled some IKEA curtains to the inside of the trim and voila - cute desk that hides the computer tower and most of the electrical junk. Not too shabby. The gallery wall is far from complete/perfect but I like it thus far.

That's our little house! It took a TON of work but we love our cozy home. Kudos to you if you made it through this entire post. Haha.

Re: big reveal :) (PIP heavy)

• Options
    I'm sure it is an understatement to say, "It looks like you did so much work!"  But seriously, your house looks amazing.  It looks cute, cozy, and looks like a wonderful place for your family.  Great job!  I loved all the before, during, and after pictures as well.  You should definitely be proud of all of the work that you have done. =)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

AMAZING.  I love it Jac!  So glad that you guys have such a beautiful home.  I remember walking through that house with you thinking, "HOLY COW.  How are they gonna do this?!" 

I also really like that I'm on your gallery wall twice.  And today, while thinking about pictures during a random mind moment, I realized that I want you to be our family photographer and photograph all of our family milestones.  So maybe I'll be on that wall more throughout the years!  Ha!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jac! OMG!  This is just insanely cool.  You and Abe's hard work has paid off. You have so many talents!!
  • Options
    Wow.  Just wow.  It's lovely, and I have to admit, I'm jealous of your eye.  There's no way I could do what you've done!  You could easily get hired as an interior decorator!
  • Options
    It's really beautiful!  You and your husband have so much to be proud of.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Amazing!!!
  • Options
    It looks great!  You & Abe should be so proud of all the work that you did yourselves!!  I'm sure everyone on the Christmas walk was impressed!
  • Options
    It looks awesome! I remember when you guys first bought it...we bought and rennovated our place around the same time so I know how much hard work you must have put in it. I love the end results! Now is the best part-- just enjoying it. I think one of the best things is knowing that you won't have to worry about unexpected house repairs when you have done all the hard part up front. And you get to know your house in a special way when you have seen its "guts" ;-)
  • Options
    awesome job!  you guys should be really proud!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #2 11/4/12 EDD 7/20/12 missed M/C 12/13/12 @8w5d D&C 12/21/12
    DX 2/7/13 with an alloimmunity + for anti-paternal antibodies started Lovenox daily & BA
    BFP 2/16/13 EDD 10/28/13

• Options
    Beautiful!!!  I love your style!
  • Options
    absolutely amazing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Love Love Love it!! 

• Options
    OMG Jac! It looks absolutely beautiful! All that hard work has paid off! Love it!
  • Options
    Thanks so much, women :) I really appreciate it. It was such a labor of love and it's nice to know others can appreciate our hard work. I loved having the ability to pick everything out as we rebuilt and piecing everything together for a good end result but man am I glad to have a break now. I look forward to putting more of "us" into it as the years pass.

Right now, however, I'm just going to sit back, relax and enjoy it.
  • Options
    Oh, Jac, it's amazing!!!  I know the feeling of some of the stuff you've been through...I can't wait until I get my kitchen the way I want.  I LOVE yours.  Your style is amazing.
  • Options
    Amazing Jacquie!!  You and Abe should be so proud of the work.  I *adore* your kitchen.   Congrats on a job well done. 
  • Options
    Holy crap!!  I love how I can really see YOU in your entire house.  It is really beautiful and you should be so, so proud to show off all of that hard work.
  • Options
    LOVE!  It looks so great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"