3rd Trimester

I didn't know how to respond to this comment

During my NST today I was asking the nurse questions about the L&D ward. I asked about the tubs and she said that there is one in every room.

Then she said, "We have the tubs but you can't use them if you're being iduced so they never get used. Women just don't seem to go into labor naturally anymore."

I know that induction and c-section rates are higher now than they used to be but I couldn't tell what she meant by "women just don't seem to go into labor naturally anymore" she sounded confused like it was some kind of evolutionary phenomenon.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I didn't know how to respond to this comment

• WOW. She sounds like a real winner.

Maybe the reality is a bit closer to- doctors just don't seem to LET women go into labor naturally anymore. 

• I have gotten some very strange responces from NST nurses as well. one of them told me (more like yelled at me) that i wasnt allowed to deliver until i was 39 weeks (I have to be induced earlier than that because of diabetes and high blood pressure issues and those notes are in the file that was right in front of her) and all i had said was that I was hoping to get to 34 weeks because it would make a huge difference to the baby. Its been a complicated pregnancy and every day that i can keep her in and alive is a great day but this nurse made me feel like i was trying to force the baby out early and that i was just another woman begging for early induction or something ugh! I dont know what these nurses are thinking! Women do go into labor naturally still but maybe she was just being negative towards the increase in births that arent completely natural? also, from what I was told when they start the induction I wont be able to get out of the bed at all (that may only be once they start pitocin). Anyway thats my input, not sure if it helped at all
  • Loading the player...
  • Confused to you nurse.

Because most moms WANT to deliver a pre-term baby?

GL, I hope you can cook that LO a bit longer. 

• I don't understand...why wouldn't you be able to use the tub once induced... and why wouldn't you be able to get out of bed once induced...leaving alone the ridiculous comment about not being allowed to deliver before 39 wks.. pshaw to her.weird...
  • Once you're induced, they may require continuous monitoring, and I'm guessing the monitors aren't waterproof. Same if you have an epidural. Not that they mention that when trying to woo you with the nice birth tub.

And that's total crap about women no longer going into labor! I think the stress of a hospital setting is enough to halt labor for many women, if they're even "allowed" to go into labor naturally instead of being induced ridiculously early. Of course, not all doctors are like that, but it seems like more and more of them feel it's their job to control or orchestrate our births, which just leads to more interventions that complicate things.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemissfire:

Once you're induced, they may require continuous monitoring, and I'm guessing the monitors aren't waterproof. Same if you have an epidural. Not that they mention that when trying to woo you with the nice birth tub.

And that's total crap about women no longer going into labor! I think the stress of a hospital setting is enough to halt labor for many women, if they're even "allowed" to go into labor naturally instead of being induced ridiculously early. Of course, not all doctors are like that, but it seems like more and more of them feel it's their job to control or orchestrate our births, which just leads to more interventions that complicate things.

This!  After my water broke with DS#1 I had to be induced because nothing happened after my water broke.  They monitored me the whole time and I wasnt allowed to leave the bed for longer than using the restroom.  It was awful sitting and laying there for so long, my hips hurt from being in one place for to long.  I hope I go natural this time around!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At our hospital they will let you use the tub if you have been induced AFTER a pattern has been established with the monitoring. So, if LO is doing well and doesn't seem to be in distress, you can go ahead and use the tub. They do also have monitors they apparently can use while you are in the tub intermittently. However, the hospital I will be using is the first in the state to even offer water birth and they have a lot of other things that other hospitals in the area do not offer, so I feel like it's probably not widespread at this point.
  • imageWannaBeCrunchyMama:

WOW. She sounds like a real winner.

Maybe the reality is a bit closer to- doctors just don't seem to LET women go into labor naturally anymore. 

^THIS^

• I venture to say that statement is not even close to being true, and the chick is an idiot. *shrug*
  • imageWannaBeCrunchyMama:

WOW. She sounds like a real winner.

Yep this.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"