Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Do you use milk past the expiration date?

Or do you just toss it when it starts to smell funky?

Re: Do you use milk past the expiration date?

• I do not use it past the expiration date. Yuck.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I don't use it when its even 2 days before the expiration date but I am weird like that lol!
  • Loading the player...
  • with a teenager in the house milk doesn't make it past the expiration date!
  • We stop drinking it as soon as we get a fresh container.  Milk older than 2 days tastes disgusting to me.
    photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Nope but we never make it to the expiration date anyway.
    Logan - 11/09, Lander 08/11, Baby #3 ~It's a girl!!~ EDD: 04/10/14

• I toss it the day it expires. I don't trust it after that date. There is a date on it for a reason.
  • No. I use it until it's expiry date.

But that's honestly never an issue in our house.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we don't often make it to the expiration date but I'll confess I have used it ONE DAY after the expiration date Embarrassed
  • Ours is gone within a few days so we havent had that problem..but I wouldnt.  I am the same as pp I am weird with dates and throw a lot out :(
  • Milk is the one item that I do not use past the expiration date...but I don't care for milk much to begin with.
  • Aren't they usually a SELLBY date at least they are around here........
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• In our old refrigerator, it was smelly before the expiration date.  With the new refrigerator, we've used it up to a week past the date and it has smelled and tasted fine (and we didn't get sick or anything). 

I'm a little pickier when I'm giving it to the LOs, but for DH and me, it's a sniff/taste test.

• Sure, I'll use it a day or two past the date (esp. if it's a sell by), I always do a smell and taste test first.
  • imagedrreidlover:
    I don't use it when its even 2 days before the expiration date but I am weird like that lol!

This!  I drive DH crazy because I always smell milk before I give it to DD and then ask him to smell it too (I don't really drink milk) but it just creeps me out so bad that its going to be funky.  I actually just went out today and bought DD a whole new gallon even though I just purchased one on Sunday..but I swear it didn't smell right lol. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My roommate in college was a food science major. She assured me that dates on eggs and dairy were set a good week or so earlier than they need to be. 

I bought some Horizon organic eggnog for 75 cents the other day because it was 4 days from its expiration date. We drank it, and didn't finish it until a few days after the date. It still tasted just fine. 

• One time, ONE FRICKIN TIME, I went a few days past the expiration date (hey, I really wanted cereal, what can I say?) I regretted it. I got chunks in my cereal. Never again will I gto past the expiration date!
  • its very obvious when dairy is expired.  so, as long as it tastes good, i will use it.  ive actually thrown out milk before the expiration date too.

• Expiration date-what's that?  I've honestly never even checked the dates.

If it smells bad it gets tossed otherwise it gets used.  

• For me, yes -- smell test is fine. For the kids, no.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageWannaBeHiking:
    Sure, I'll use it a day or two past the date (esp. if it's a sell by), I always do a smell and taste test first.

This.

• I toss it when it smells funky.  I've had milk last nearly a week past the exp. date.  It doesn't last that long anymore but, I always just give it a whiff when I open it.
  • 1-2 days max I will use it unless it is curdled. I would never do this for my daughter though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"