Pregnant after IF
Options

Can you use and epi-pen while PG?

I was just cleaning out my purse and saw my epi-pen in there and it made me wonder.  I have food allergies among tons of other allergies and have had to use my epi in the past.  Thankfully, knock on wood, I haven't needed it in a long time, but if I had to, would it be safe?  I don't know why I never thought about asking the OB that.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can you use and epi-pen while PG?

• Options

okay - here's the nitty gritty - epinephrine as a rule isn't supposed to be given in pregnancy, for example: At the dentist, they'll usually give you lidocaine with epinephrine for numbing purposes. The lido numbs and the epinephrine constricts blood vessels to slow bleeding.

The concern in pregnancy is the constricting blood vessels portion, so they would just use lido during pregnancy.

However, if you have a severe enough allergy that NOT giving the epi-pen would impair your breathing and therefore kill you, there's a MUCH higher risk from NOT giving the epi-pen than giving it. Dead mommy = dead baby. YKWIM?

So, bottom line, if you have a situation where you can't feasibly take benadryl instead, and it's going to be a full blown anaphylactic reaction where the epi-pen is necessary, you give yourself the shot, and get thee to the nearest L&D so the babies can be monitored.

However, I would NOT give it for a minor/moderate reaction. Only one where breathing is impaired. Hives, rash, itching... those can all be treated with benadryl and steroids.

I would  discuss it with your OB at your next appointment.

Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Funny you ask.  I was just getting a new prescription for mine when I saw my allergist a week ago and as I was leaving I said wait is the epi pen safe during pregnancy.  He started cracking up and said I think it's better than the alternative, ya know dying and all would make you not pregnant anymore.  We both started cracking up and I said well yeah I guess that makes sense.  My allergies are life and death so the epi-pen will save my life, it's not really optional.  I don't know what they would say if your allergy is not life and death though.
    TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've just been lurking for awhile (life got crazy and I had to stop posting, then I got a BFP and didn't want to come on to announce after being away...then it just got away from me and I didn't feel comfy posting) but I wanted to answer your question.

Talk to your OB, but if you have a reaction severe enough to require the use of the epi-pen (e.g. throat is swelling, can't breathe, etc) and you need to buy some time until you get the ED, then the baby needs you alive and you should go ahead and use the epi-pen. 

Congrats on the twins, BTW!!

image 30 y/o with PCOS HSG normal, SA essentially normal (slightly low morph but good # and motility) 50 mg Clomid...zip; 100 mg Clomid...nada; 150 mg Clomid...zilch 1/10 Injectable cycle with Gonal-F, Ovidrel, and TI.....Beta 2/22...BFN 2/10 Injectable cycle with Gonal-F and Follistim (long story), Ovidrel..BFN 4/10 Injectable cycle (see above). BFP but early m/c 5w5d. 5/10 Break cycle due to BFC (Big Fat Cyst)...darn it all 6/10 Injectable cycle +IUI...BFN 7/10 Injectable cycle + IUI.....BFP!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagecara-n-steve:
    Thankfully, knock on wood, I haven't needed it in a long time,

And please make sure it isn't expired. Depending on how long it's been, you might need a new one!

Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageGenRN45:

okay - here's the nitty gritty - epinephrine as a rule isn't supposed to be given in pregnancy, for example: At the dentist, they'll usually give you lidocaine with epinephrine for numbing purposes. The lido numbs and the epinephrine constricts blood vessels to slow bleeding.

The concern in pregnancy is the constricting blood vessels portion, so they would just use lido during pregnancy.

However, if you have a severe enough allergy that NOT giving the epi-pen would impair your breathing and therefore kill you, there's a MUCH higher risk from NOT giving the epi-pen than giving it. Dead mommy = dead baby. YKWIM?

So, bottom line, if you have a situation where you can't feasibly take benadryl instead, and it's going to be a full blown anaphylactic reaction where the epi-pen is necessary, you give yourself the shot, and get thee to the nearest L&D so the babies can be monitored.

However, I would NOT give it for a minor/moderate reaction. Only one where breathing is impaired. Hives, rash, itching... those can all be treated with benadryl and steroids.

I would  discuss it with your OB at your next appointment.

Very good point!!!  I will definitely discuss this with the OB when I go next week.  I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.  I've mostly been eating at home since being pg to stay on the safe side, but I just feel like you never know! 

• Options
    imageGenRN45:

imagecara-n-steve:
    Thankfully, knock on wood, I haven't needed it in a long time,

And please make sure it isn't expired. Depending on how long it's been, you might need a new one!

It doesn't expire til march :)  I carry the double pens that have the extra syringe in it just in case.   I have them all over the house and in my purse.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"