Breastfeeding

My Nipples are KILLING me!

My name is Laura and I just had our son 3 days ago. I was having a hard time getting him to latch at first. Now I am not having any problems with that but my nipples are so sore and cracked. Is this normal? How long does it take for them to toughen up? Also, are there any home remedies for the pain?

Thanks Ladies.

Re: My Nipples are KILLING me!

• Yes, that is very normal.  I would say for the first two weeks every time my son latched on my toes curled in pain.  After about a month it only hurt for a second when he latched and at about six weeks I felt nothing.  I used the Lanolin cream every time I fed him which helped soothe.  Just be careful because it does stain.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• soreness and some pain are normal but cracking is NOT!!  please call a lactation consultant to get help with that latch.  the cracking can lead to infections and that just complicates the problem.  my nipples cracked and quickly healed once i saw an LC and got help.  call sooner than later - you'll be happy you did.
  • The pain does away after a few weeks. At around 4 wks I felt no pain at all. Also, after you are done feeding express a little more milk and rub that on your nipples. The LC I have told me to do this, and it works great. B/C there are so many antibodies in the BM it is better than any cream you could buy, and it's free!
  • The pain does go away after a few weeks. At around 4 wks I felt no pain at all. Also, after you are done feeding express a little more milk and rub that on your nipples. The LC I have told me to do this, and it works great. B/C there are so many antibodies in the BM it is better than any cream you could buy, and it's free!
  • I don't really post on this board.  I usually just lurk but I wanted to add something.

The above advice is all good.  I was also very cracked and sore for the first two weeks.  I did see a LC and she helped me with latch.  My LO had an awesome latch from the beginning but she has a high palate so she needed to take in more breast tissue so that she wouldn't beat up my nipples.  However, the best advice she gave me was letting my nipples air dry after each feeding.  It still pinches a little when she first latches on but my nipples are no longer cracked or sore.  They are still a little sensitive though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Lansinoh Soothies (the gel pads) were awesome for me for the first week or so. I put them in the fridge for even more relief. I agree with the PP - if your nipples are cracked, you need to take care of that right away. If you can, expose your nipples to air as much as possible, and use the Lansinoh cream that another poster suggested.

• Definitely get the Lansinoh cream. I prefer Medela's over other brands, but I think its all personal preference. I can't tell you enough times to use it after ever feeding. I would start to feel better then skip one and totally paid for it. I am now 4.5 months in and don't feel a thing. It stopped hurting after about 2 weeks and didn't feel anything after a month. Keep at it, the pain will go away!