January 2011 Moms
Options

Not even sure what to do about this....

So this is a little sad - but a big reason I haven't been on in a while. My BIL passed away a couple of weeks ago. It was completely unexpected, and very hard on everyone. My SIL (his sister) flew in from CA and very thoughtfully brought a whole bunch of clothes for the baby. As we were looking through the clothes, she picks up a onesie and says "what is that?...." then her eyes get real big and she says "OMG, it's probably ashes". My BIL was cremated, and she carried his ashes in the baby clothes. I'm not even sure what to do...

Re: Not even sure what to do about this....

• Options
    I'd toss the clothing. I'm so sorry about your loss, but it is a little creepy to have a dead person on your future child's clothing.
  • Options

imagedxiechicken41:
    I'd toss the clothing. I'm so sorry about your loss, but it is a little creepy to have a dead person on your future child's clothing.

Uhh... this.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My grandmother was cremated and the urn that they put the ashes in is sealed really tight.  You would have to work really hard to open it, and ashes wouldn't just accidently fall out, so I doubt it was ashes.  I would just wash them and use them, but it's up to you.
  • Options
    I agree with PP maybe its dust or dirt???
  • Options

imagekimberly_ann81:
    My grandmother was cremated and the urn that they put the ashes in is sealed really tight.  You would have to work really hard to open it, and ashes wouldn't just accidently fall out, so I doubt it was ashes.  I would just wash them and use them, but it's up to you.

I agree with this. Not only is it sealed ridiculously tight but it is also in another container inside the urn.  I very much doubt they are ashes from your BIL.  I would just wash them and use them.  

• Options

imagekimberly_ann81:

This. I would wait to do anything until she leaves, though. It was probably a shock for her to see something that resembled ashes so soon after a loss, so tossing them or shoving them aside as if burned would probably not be a good idea. I'd reassure her what the PP said about urns being sealed really tight and throw them in the 'to wash' pile. 

• Options
    I know when my dad was cremated his ashes were placed in a bag and then in a box for transport to where we were going to spread them, so even if she didn't have an urn, I don't see it as gross and I definitely don't think you need to throw them away. If you want to look at it from a different view, think of it as an honor that maybe your baby will have something that your BIL has "touched" but in any case, no matter what it is, just wash it.
  • Options
    sorry for your loss, but I agree with the PPs...it's highly unlikely that it would be ashes. Just wash it and use it.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone - I had no idea how the ashes would be contained - I was just taking her at her word.
  • Options

imageMN Momma 2011:
    I agree with PP maybe its dust or dirt???

My thoughts exactly. I'd wash the clothes, even a couple of times to be sure you have them clean, and use them. Clothes are a NEED, don't just toss them. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"