April 2011 Moms
Options

bumper on crib

Hey ladies,

Someone just told me you're not suppose to use a bumper in the crib. I know about blankets and pillows, but I didn't know about the bumper. What have you all heard or read?

Thanks! 

Re: bumper on crib

• Options
    i heard that however as long as you put the baby in the center when they are infants they cant really roll over yet my dr said it was fine as long as i had my baby on his back in the center of the crib
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You are not supposed to put anything in the crib with the baby including bumpers because they are considered a risk for SIDS.  The concern with bumpers is that they restrict airflow and when your child starts to be able to roll over, if they roll over to the side they can suffocate if there face is against the bumper. 
    imageimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's entirely up to you. Ask 50 people this question and you will get 50 different answers.  I personally will be using them because I like them, and I'm not on Team "Bumpers Kill Your Baby'.   
    Stephanie Hsu
  • Options

I don't think I'll be buying them... I've read they can contribute to SIDS and if baby rolls over it can be dangerous if they press up against and can't breathe. I am not "team bumpers kill your baby" but why not heed the advice if it could be a contributing factor?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    all im saying is i used bumpers with both my kids and they turned out just fine...by the time they we old enough to roll over they were also old enough to move their head...thats all im saying...every baby developes differently but in the case of my boys they were just fine...
  • Options

imageclaytonswife2011:
    all im saying is i used bumpers with both my kids and they turned out just fine...by the time they we old enough to roll over they were also old enough to move their head...thats all im saying...every baby developes differently but in the case of my boys they were just fine...

This is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard and I hear it all the time on the bump.

That's great that your boys were fine....but guess what?  There are a lot of babies that were not fine and did die of SIDS and bumpers have been determined to be a risk factor.  I hardly think your two kids are an accurate representation of the general population.

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    From my view point, as someone medical, and I have talked with others at work about this to gain more insight. Bumpers are considered a risk factor for SIDS. With that said when your baby cant not turn the bumper should not be that big of problem I would take the bumper out when your baby starts to turn though. I am gonna use a bumper till my lil one starts turning then its bye bye bumper. I work in an ER so we have seen our fair share of kids die from SIDS. Which is why I am probably going to be like a paranoid nutcase when the baby gets here.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options

Here is the SIDS website.

https://sids.org/nprevent.htm

If I get bumpers I will not be using them until baby is practically in college! lol

• Options
    I wont be using a bumper.  I'm not one of those "a bumper will kill your baby" people.  I'm one of those why take that chance?
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm going the middle route and using a breathable bumper.

BFP #1 8/14/10, DS born 4/30/11 
    BFP #2 9/30/12, M/C 10/23/12 
    BFP #3 12/16/12, CP 12/20/12 
    BFP #4 1/20/13, DD born 10/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I won't be using them.  I don't judge people that do either though.  I have just read too many concerns about the increased risk of SIDS to take the chance.  Just because I think there are really cute isn't enough reason for me to use them.  However I have many friends that do.  I did find bumpers at BRU though that are the breathable mesh on the bottom with some fabric on top (above the level your baby's head would be at so they can't roll into it and not get air).  I have to look into them more but if I did decide I needed something because baby was getting their limbs in between the rails, this is what I would do. 

Also while I respect the opinions of people who decide to use them, I think the "I used them and my babies were fine" argument makes no sense.  You can use that with any hazardous activity as a justification.  Not to say they are the same, but that is like saying "I have never worn a seat belt and I am just fine."  

Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • Options

imageAnjaO:
    I'm going the middle route and using a breathable bumper.

https://www.breathablebaby.com/bumpers/bumper-fashion-trim.html

This is my plan for now as well.

• Options
    I've heard that, but didn't do it with DD.  I never put DD in the crib until she was 6 months old and could roll both ways and sit up.  That way if she needed to move she could.  DD has always slept with her head wedged right up into the crib corner so I'm glad we got a bumper for her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We'll also be using a breathable bumper. I intend on adding some ribbons/bows that match our bedding to the side the faces out just to make it look a little more cute. I am not messing with the risks of standard bumpers...plus the one that goes with our bedding is over $100!! No thank you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Nope, not using a bumper.  May use a breathable one.  We'll see, but I won't be using a standard bumper.
  • Options

We will be using a breathable bumper. I just don't think it's worth the risk. I don't see how something that goes completely around the crib and is taller than the baby lays DOESN'T restrict airflow. Regardless, I'm not a scientist and haven't personally done SIDS studies, but if they say it's a possible chance, it's one I'm not taking. Do I like the way bumpers look? Sure, I think they're adorable, but I'd rather not risk my kid's safety for looks. ...and the argument "I used them for all 10 of my kids and they're just fine"? That's the dumbest argument I've ever heard. Many of our parents drank, smoked, didn't use carseats, and did god knows what and we all survived, but that doesn't mean it's the safe and healthy thing to do.

photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Options

The thought is that it restricts the airflow through the crib. We have a ceiling fan going above DD at all times (for airflow and white noise). She didn't sleep in her crib till she was 6 months old, and by that point, she was rolling all over the place, and even liked to cuddle into the bumper. 

The way I feel about it. Most Pedi's say its safe as soon as baby can move around on their own anyways, and since they can't get stuck up against it before that point (unless you'd put them there) there's no reason to not have it.

I personally, am very glad we've used it. DD has crashed into it several times when she was learning to pull up in her crib, and it cushioned the blow. DD also likes to fling herself backwards when she's mad about going to bed, and again, the bumper cushioned the blow!

We will definitely be using it again! 

• Options
    We won't be using a bumper.  Why risk it?  There's really no reason to have them besides the decorative factor anyway.
  • Options

I have mixed feelings on this subject but will probably not take the chance.

That being said, the bumper for the set I like (Brooke Owl from PB) is one of the cutest parts of the set! I just flashed on an idea for using it but not sure logistically if it will work. If you love your bumper, can it be tied around the bottom portion of the crib and just act like a crib skirt? Albeit a very "stiff" one, but I'm wondering if I can make that work! Hmmm...

• Options

imagestephanie_shoe:
    It's entirely up to you. Ask 50 people this question and you will get 50 different answers.  I personally will be using them because I like them, and I'm not on Team "Bumpers Kill Your Baby'.   

Yowza.  Indifferent

I don't think bumpers kill your baby, but I also believe in being educated and reducing risks when you can.  

• Options
    Just a PSA to those of you who haven't experienced life with an infant, they can wiggle and squirm and move around LONG before they roll over, and you never know when the first time your kiddo is going to accidentally flip themselves over is going to be.  To my way of thinking, it isn't worth the risk to potentially increase my child's risk of SIDS by putting something in their sleeping environment just because it's cute.  FWIW, we got a breathable bumper for once our kids were mobile and we wanted to limit them getting their arms and legs stuck between the slats.
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"