Babies: 3 - 6 Months

pacifier weaning & sleep

I'm wondering if anyone weaned their LO from the paci and found that this led to better sleep? 

I read the No Cry Sleep Solution and this is the only suggestion she made that we're not already doing.  It seems like a bit of a gamble to me, because right now the paci quickly puts DD to sleep, but she wakes up wanting it put back in several times a night.  Even though she goes right back to sleep once I put the paci in, sometimes I have a hard time going back to sleep myself.   

So do I go through the hassle of taking the paci away for the possibility of more sleep or do I stick with what is working and accept the extra wake ups until she can learn to put it back in herself?

Any experience/input on this subject would be welcome!  

Re: pacifier weaning & sleep

• Can't wait to hear the responses bc we are currently going through the same thing, except that I can fall right back to sleep.  I often wonder if and when I should stop getting up to put it back in.

• imageMrsMommyQ:

Can't wait to hear the responses bc we are currently going through the same thing, except that I can fall right back to sleep.  I often wonder if and when I should stop getting up to put it back in.

And our DDs are the same age, funny.  Come on, responses!

• Loading the player...
  • imageLolo555:
    imageMrsMommyQ:

Can't wait to hear the responses bc we are currently going through the same thing, except that I can fall right back to sleep.  I often wonder if and when I should stop getting up to put it back in.

And our DDs are the same age, funny.  Come on, responses!

Awww they're birthday twins Big Smile

• we did this.  it has been about a week and a half now and DS puts himself to sleep just the same as he did without it.  He goes to bed around 7, wakes usually around 430 but talks a little bit and goes back to sleep, then wakes anywhere from 5-6 to eat and goes back to sleep until 730-830.  Before I was having to give him his paci back at least 6 times a night.  Sometimes 30 minutes apart!  So i decided to take it away.  It has worked GREAT! 
    BFP#1 - 10/09, DS born 6/17/10 BFP#2 - 09/12, EDD 6/6/13, MMC 10/31/12 @8w5d, D&C 11/30/12 Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Anniversary
  • I went through the exact same thing with my son who is now 4 months old. I couldn't stand getting up every half hour to put it back in his mouth; and if he's waking up that often he's not getting a good night's sleep. Unfortunately you have to do it cold turkey like I did; but it is worth it. He did start sleeping longer through the night.without waking up. It'll take a couple of days of fussiness and crying, but it does work. I do give it to him though when we're in a store etc to keep him from having a freak out though. Hope this helps.
  • For 3 weeks now, DD has been randomly crying out at night. She can't seem to get herself back to sleep at the end of a sleep cycle. So, DH and I go to her room, replace the paci, and she'd sleep...for a while. Over the 3 weeks, and especially the past few days, this has been increasing until last night it reached fever pitch. She was up EVERY HOUR.  It got to the point where DH and I decided to let her CIO. She did twice last night and fell asleep both times without her paci.  She cried for about 6 minutes.

This morning, I put her down for her morning nap without her paci. 18 minutes of crying later and she is still out as I'm typing this.

We've decided to let her CIO except for awakening for feedings at night. I'm also making the decision now that she will no longer sleep with her paci. She is unable to put it back in her mouth, therefore it is a crutch that DH and I have to deal with multiple times in the  night. We would much rather she learns to soothe herself to sleep.

We've just begun this journey, and I wish I had the strength in me to have tried this method much sooner. DH and I are walking zombies, and the sooner we all get more sleep, we'll be a much happier family.

It breaks our heart to hear her cry, but she needs her sleep just as much as she needs food.

FWIW, I'm finding the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" very informative and helpful.

Bunny Love: 6 months old already! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are weaning DD off the paci too. At first, it was great to use since it got her to fall asleep in the crib without being rocked. But after about a week she needed the paci replaced every time she stirred throughout the night. One awful night I was getting up every 15-30 minutes to put in the paci! So we had to go cold turkey and she cries but we stay with her by her cribside (so she knows we're there with her) and she settles herself into sleep after about 10-15 minutes. She's still waking about 2-3 times/night but it's worth it not to be dependent on the paci. Also- we don't give it to her in the day either but she self soothes by sucking her hands when crabby.

HTH!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"