Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Does your LO do arts and crafts at daycare?

I have an in home childcare where I watch 3 other kids (one is 3 days older than Bailey, and 23 month old twin girls, all siblings).  We have a pretty tight schedule, where we play outside in the morning weather permitting, do circle time, playtime, centers, a cooking project at least once a week, stimulating playtime (playdoh, shaving cream, sand etc...) then arts and crafts every day all before lunch time.  I try to incorporate the letter we are learning for the week in the projects/crafts.  This week we are doing H.  I try not to only do coloring, we paint, i have all kinds of supplies and mix it up as much as possible, but am just finding myself doing a lot of the same type of projects since they are so little.    If your LO is at daycare do they do projects everyday?  If so, are they elaborate?  I need more activities/projects.

Re: Does your LO do arts and crafts at daycare?

• They do shaving cream painting, gooh painting, craft with recycled material, seasonal craft
  • Yes. They are pretty simple. Finger painting, painting with their feet, chalk or crayon, marker drawings. Sometimes they use those bingo dotters, glue on feathers etc.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I dont have a LO in daycare but was really interested that you are able to do so much with such young ones. This really inspires, and makes me feel behind. Ive been a sub and teacher but never considered starting this young, i will have to start dragging out the arts and crafts for Jack to start!
  • She does some sort of art project every day.  Nothing elaborate.  Just painting on something already cut out by the teacher. 

They usually tie it into the lesson for the day.  For example, if blue was their theme, they would learn how to sign "blue", paint something with blue and then find a story that dealt with the color blue.

• I'm honestly not sure if she does crafts everyday, but I know he comes home with "art" at least twice a week. They go outside twice a day so that takes up some time. She does a lot of the crafts that you mentioned in your post. She recently did a craft using cutouts from a magazine. I think they glued pictures of the same thing to a piece of paper...this was for the 2 year olds. My LO didn't do that but he does crafts all the time...since he was pretty young...maybe 8-9 months. At that age they did lots of "hand print" art. So cute!
  • image ccrow:
    I dont have a LO in daycare but was really interested that you are able to do so much with such young ones. This really inspires, and makes me feel behind. Ive been a sub and teacher but never considered starting this young, i will have to start dragging out the arts and crafts for Jack to start!
  • image ccrow:
    I dont have a LO in daycare but was really interested that you are able to do so much with such young ones. This really inspires, and makes me feel behind. Ive been a sub and teacher but never considered starting this young, i will have to start dragging out the arts and crafts for Jack to start!

They love it!  Kate is still figuring out the crayons, but she does love to color when it is not in her mouth!  The older ones are great with it, the 23 month olds think it's pretty cool.  Their attention spans are getting better the older they get.  When we do the circle time it usually doesn't last longer than 15/20 minutes.  We go over shapes, colors, day of the weeks, I have a board with all of that on it on the wall.  Then I will read to them.  I know half of it goes over their heads, but they do pick up on a lot and it makes them more aware!  There are days when they won't sit still, but you just have to remember, they are still little.  I was also a teacher (high school).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards