Babies: 0 - 3 Months

birth control

So I decided to go on the pill when I went for my 6wk pp checkup. I've never been great about taking them but figured Id be more responsible this time. I have been taking them for the past 3 weeks and I hate them!! I feel like Im on a roller coaster with my moods so up and down. I think I am going stop taking them, my mom has an iud and said its the best thing ever! Thinking of going that route.

question-does insurance cover the cost of it? does it hurt? how long after its in can you have sex?

Re: birth control

• IDK about the other questions but my United Healthcare insurance pays 100%, just a co-pay for the visit.

My sis said she felt crampy when she got hers inserted, and told me to take the day off of work when I got it.

*The only downside to them is her period is VERY erratic, and before she got Mirena her period was like clockwork. I think it's worth it not to have to think about it.  She said she liked NuvaRing SO much better, it was just getting expensive having to pay for it every month (her budget is tight)

• You would have to check with your insurance, every provider is different. Mine was covered 100% and they did it same day, whereas some will only cover a portion and they have to verify so you cannot get it same day.

It didn't hurt whatsoever, you just a little cramping afterward but it's gone same-day. 

And you can have sex right after, but it takes a while for it to work, so my OB suggested using protection several weeks after getting mine- just in case!

Oh, and it doesn't effect your mood! I got Mirena and, while it has hormones, it only stays centralized in your uterus. They is another one without hormones in it, but my OB said it gives you hellish periods.

• I have a Mirena IUD.  My insurance covered 80% of the cost - I paid $140 OOP.  Some insurances cover, some don't.  Some are covered on the RX plan and some on the medical plan.  Mirena also offers payment plans.

If you have it inserted w/i 7 days of your period (or if you haven't ovulated yet PP) it is effective immediately.  Otherwise you should use a back-up BC for your first cycle.

My insertion didn't hurt at all.  If felt like having a pap with period cramps.  The last time I had it (after DD #1 was born) my period totally went away and I had zero side effects.  So far so good this time, too.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have the Mirena and I love it.  It doesn't make me moody and I don't have to worry about taking a pill every day.

My insurance paid for 100% of it, I just had to pay a copay for my visit, but every insurance plan is different, I would contact your provider.

It just felt like a pap smear when they put it in.  I was a little crampy afterwards, but it wasn't bad at all.  My OB said to wait 2 days before having sex and to use a condom the first week to be on the safe side.

The only thing that kinda sucks is that it makes my periods are super irregular.  But they are already getting super light, so it's more like spotting.