1st Trimester

Using "the baby" as an excuse?

Embarrassed So I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but I used "the baby" as an excuse to get out of going out with DH and his friends tonight. A friend that he knows is having a bonfire/grillout tonight and I really really didn't want to be around a bunch of people I've never met before, while they drink all night. Didn't sound like much fun to me, so I threw the baby under the bus (not literally) and said I was too tired to go anywhere...

Now after a nice bubble bath, and a chick flick I'm cuddled up on the couch :)

Anyone else use the baby as an excuse to get out of something they don't want to do?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Using "the baby" as an excuse?

• YUP!  I have used "not feeling well today" on several occasions with the in-laws!!  Don't feel guilty.
    Stephanie Hsu
  • all.the.time.  I truly feel like crap 95% of the time, but I have no desire to "power through it."  Oh, and I almost bought giant reese's peanut butter cups today at Target.  When I got home and told DH about them he gave me the side-eye and I yelled "hey!  The baby likes peanut butter!"  Best part about being pg. 
  • Loading the player...
  • ha ha yup! though the "the i'm too tired" is actually true, if i wasn't pregnant it just wouldn't work, so I love how the fact that i'm growing a human being inside of me gets me out of doing certain things!
  • I did plenty of times with DS and plan on doing it again if needed!  Don't feel guilty at all.  Making a baby is hard work!  :)
  • imageSteph&Harry08:
    ha ha yup! though the "the i'm too tired" is actually true, if i wasn't pregnant it just wouldn't work, so I love how the fact that i'm growing a human being inside of me gets me out of doing certain things!

Yep!

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagestephanie_shoe:
    YUP!  I have used "not feeling well today" on several occasions with the in-laws!!  Don't feel guilty.

HAHA. I need to remember this after we tell them. 

imageimageimage
    The Kids (from left) Hugo, Siberian Husky, Claire at 3 wks, Human, Roman, Siberian Husky
    Proud US Navy and Law Enforcement WIFE!
    BFP 10.29.10-Norah Claire born 07.03.11

• imageSteph&Harry08:
    ha ha yup! though the "the i'm too tired" is actually true, if i wasn't pregnant it just wouldn't work, so I love how the fact that i'm growing a human being inside of me gets me out of doing certain things!

This exactly.  I also use it when I want things.  DH says it won't work forever, but by the time it stops working I'll have an actual baby and have a whole slew of new excuses lol. 

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't used this yet, but I think I'm totally taking a pj day today b/c I don't feel well. I am trying to limit my commitments for the next few weeks just for this reason. Now is not the time to push through unecessary activities, in my opinion.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageliseylou:
    "hey!  The baby likes peanut butter!"  Best part about being pg. 

I do this ALL the time. "The baby wants it." :-) 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not to go out, but I just finished the box of cookies and DH asked if I really ate them all.  I told him "It was the baby"!  Mwhaaaa
  • All the time!  We are currently remodeling our house and living in a rental, so I get out of soooo much because "I shouldn't be over there breathing that dust" or can't lift things to help with the remodeling.  LOL.  This will all be very interesting when we go to move back in when I'm 7 months prego!
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No, I just say I don't want to go somewhere when I don't want to go somewhere.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I use it alot, when DH asks me to go watch fights with him at his brothers, although my SIL is one of my best friends, I just can't stand how small their house is and I feel closed in. Plus he smokes in the house I have cut way back and am trying desparatly to quit. I just say I'm too tired, or not feeling up to it. I also do this for to get out of other things, although I don't see it as using the baby, because I really don't feel like leaving the house, and wouldn't feel that way if I wasn't pregnant. Plus I'm high risk so when I say I'm tired DH just has to deal with it. I know he's amazed on nights when I'm getting in bed before him, he's an early to bed guy, I'm the night owl. Don't feel gulity because if you weren't pregnant you proboly wouldn't mind going but it is no fun when everyone is drinking and you don't get to, they are drunk and being goofy, you are sober and things aren't as funny.
  • Yes.  And it is wonderful!  I mean really though, you are tired and at certain points nauseous, you may feel bloated and uncomfortable, why make yourself miserable?  Your body is going through a lot.  Maybe you don't want to do it all the time, but it is way better than overdoing it.  You have to take care of you!  It took me a long time and complications to make me realize that.  And really it is not for you, it is for the baby.
  • Yep! I usually use this excuse when I don't feel like being smothered by my in-laws who decide to want to come over and stop by when I just want some alone time with my little family. Just whatever you do, don't over-use that excuse...I think my mother-in-law is starting to catch on. Lol.
  • oh i use Baby as an excuse ALL the time! I actually feel pretty guilty sometimes. My pelvic ligaments have been excruciating lately so the other day my best dropped me off and went to park when we were going somewhere in the city so I wouldnt have to walk! My SO is always doing things for me/carrying things for me/ getting things for me. Not to mention I had like three pieces of pizza last night for dinner and Nachos as an appetizer! I would never eat like that before but my excuse is "Baby must really need cheese!" Sometimes it makes me feel so bad when people are always doing extra so that I wont have to carry something or something silly like that tho, I try to tell them that just b/c Im prego doesnt mean I cant carry a few grocery bags! But I guess I am lucky that I have so many supportive people in my life, and hey, its not like it is going to last much longer! Pretty soon we are all going to have to go from being Super Lazy to Super Mommy!
  • Um, that's what they are there for!  Being pregnant/having a kid gets you out of all kinds of things, it's awesome.
  • Haha, I use the baby as an excuse all the time!  To be fair, most of what I say is true (I'm too tired, it hurts to stand for that long, etc.), but it also works for other things: eating what I want (within reason), not eating what I don't want (baby doesn't like that), etc. Smile
  • That is hilarious, I do the same thing! "The baby REALLLLY wants those cookies." Thankfully my friends usually chime in- "Whatever baby wants, baby gets!" Haha!
  • ALL the time, and he's 17 months.  I'm the same way, I never go out with his friends, in the 3 years we've been together I've only gone over 5-6 times.  They smoke in the house and drink every weekend.  No thanks.  Someone has to be the responsible parent and watch our child (ok, I use that as my excuse every weekend lol).
  • Ha. :D I think that's perfectly acceptable. Enjoy the by-yourself time. You won't get any when the baby actually gets here. Making another person is a lot of work! I remember early in my pregnancy, I was exhausted all off the time. I work three days a week and cleaned house/cooked the other four this way DH had nothing to worry about. My house was a disaster after the Holidays when we first found out. DH came home from work, looked around, woke me up (I was asleep on the couch) and asked me... "There's dishes in the sink, clothes to be washed, the bathrooms need to be cleaned. Did you seriously sleep all day?"

"No, I made a lung today. What did you do?"

Needless to say, he never questioned how tired I was ever again. XD He's never asked about housework not getting done either. Especially now that my daughter is here, he's lucky if he has clean clothes. lol He's an understanding guy so I don't want anyone to get the wrong picture. I think after five years of living with me, he got spoiled with the clean house bit. I love to do it- just don't have the energy or time now!

• I used that one all the time! It still works after pregnancy if you're breastfeeding. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"