Babies: 0 - 3 Months

xpost: return to work and feeding schedule

I will return to work next week, at which time LO will be placed in full-time daycare (he's 3 months and breastfed). Right now, he sleeps a short stretch between 7:30 and 9ish, and a long stretch between 10 and 3-4ish, at which time he wakes up for a feeding. Given I've been home on maternity leave, we've then slept until 7-8ish, at which time he wakes up for his morning feed. However...

When I go back to work, I need to drop LO off at daycare by 7am, which means leaving our home at around 6:30. In order to accomplish everything I need to do in the AM without being completely rushed, I play to wake between 4:30 and 5am. Given LO eats between 3 and 4...waking between 4:30 and 5:00 seems like cruel and unusual punishment. Does anyone else have a similar problem and if so, what have you done?

I've thought of giving him a big bottle at around 7:30 instead of 9 in hopes of making his early morning feeding even earlier, so that I can go back to bed for a little bit prior to waking up in the AM. Right now, my husband gives this bottle to LO at 9ish (I pump so he is able to feed LO right before bed at 10).

Re: xpost: return to work and feeding schedule

• My son is also breastfed and I was worried about how it would affect his schedule when I went back to work at 9 weeks. He was waking up for feeding between 5-5:30 and then going back to sleep for another few hours. My first day back to work, he woke up at 5:30 like normal, so I fed him, put him back down to bed and then got him up and dressed at 7 when I needed to leave. But the next day he slept until I got him up at 6:30 and that's been the norm ever since. I get up and do everything I need to (except get dressed, I save that for after he's eaten and burped after he spit up all over me the first morning) and then wake him up. Sometimes he sleeps in the car on the way to the sitter's, sometimes he's awake, alert and happy when we get there.

That's just my experience though, yours may be totally different. I'd say try feeding him earlier like you mentioned and see if that works. If not, feed him on your normal schedule and see if he adjusts his morning wake time. Of course, the ideal would be to get him to adjust to your schedule :-) but there's no telling. The one thing I was unprepared for that first week was that after a few days, he didn't want to nurse when i got home. Before I went back to work, he'd gone between bottle and breast beautifully, never any problems. Suddenly, day 3 back to work, I get home and he shrieks when I try to nurse him. Very traumatic for us both. DH said maybe he was done nursing and just wanted the bottle. I wasn't willing to switch solely to bottle because it seems like that's the beginning of the end of nursing. Pumping all the time is just too hard. So since then, we've had a few sessions where he just lays in front of me and screams 10-20 minutes before latching on and nursing as usual. Thankfully its rare now, but he just did it last Friday. And then has nursed beautifully over the weekend, so its hard to predict. But I wish I'd have been prepared for that because when it happened, it made me feel horrible.

• I am glad you posted this as we are trying to figure this out too!  I work a 6 to 2 shift.  Hubby is more flexible and will be able to drop her at daycare in the morning.  However, we are trying to figure the best possible options for a "schedule" so both Mommy & Daddy and Baby can all be happy and fairly well rested.  Thanks for your previous posts I think I might try a few dry runs and see what happens BEFORE she actually has to start full-time at daycare.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards