3rd Trimester

Foley Catheter Induction w/Simultaneous Pitocin (Long)

This is an XP from my birth month board.

Evening All:

I mentioned a few weeks back that my OB will be inducing me at 39 weeks due to my insulin-dependent GD.

I spoke with her in greater detail about the process tonight. She said that my hospital (most prominent one in Chicago and top ten in U.S.) does not favor using Cervidil or Cytotec. Rather, they use a foley bulb catheter that they insert against the cervix and inflate with saline solution. Supposedly this helps you dilate to 4 cm, and when that happens, the catheter falls out on its own.

Please note that I am not referring to the type of catheter that they put in to help you urinate while on the epidural.

What seems a little freaky to me about this induction method is that my OB says they start you on pitocin at the same time they put the foley bulb in. I was always under the impression that induction was usually a two-step process: first they get your cervix favorable and then they start contractions. Everything happens at once with my hospital's method, and I could conceivably go from 0 to 100 on the pain scale almost immediately. She said that I could request the epidural anytime I want - even from minute 1 - because the pitocin will keep the contractions going.

Does anyone have any knowledge about foley catheter induction, particularly when combined with simultaneous pitocin? My research is not turning up much. Anyone experienced this with a previous birth?

Re: Foley Catheter Induction w/Simultaneous Pitocin (Long)

• Are you delivering at Prentice?  Sounds like you might be.  I delivered there with my first.  They are very aggressive about their inductions and very controlled...by manually dilating you they take the guess work out of if the cervidil etc will work.

They didn't do this to me because when they induced me I was already at 3 cm-they just started pit then broke my water at 4 cm.  If you are delivering at Prentice...just be sure to ask lots of questions and know what they are doing and why.  They have lots of standing orders that the just automatically order.  Sure it is a great facility-very shiny and new-but they are a baby birthing factory for sure...make sure to stay informed.

• I'm doing the Foley bulb insertion on Monday. They said they'll leave it in until Tuesday morning (unless it falls out sooner) and then when I get to the hospital on Tuesday morning they'll break my water. No mention of pitocin, and my doctor doesn't like to use it anyway.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a foley bulb induction. It failed.  I'm not saying it was because of the foley bulb, but it's strongly disfavored (with the exception of my OB) at the hospital I delivered at because of the cervical ripening agents, it's the only drug-free one and there's a general consensus that the prostaglandins are what actually put you into labor.  The foley bulb only mechanically dilates your cervix.  Yeah, it gets you to 3-4, but only because a  weighted bulb had to shove its way out of your cervix.  And, it really, really hurts.  I had mine without pit though. All the best to you.   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemrsashby:

Are you delivering at Prentice?  Sounds like you might be.  I delivered there with my first.  They are very aggressive about their inductions and very controlled...by manually dilating you they take the guess work out of if the cervidil etc will work.

They didn't do this to me because when they induced me I was already at 3 cm-they just started pit then broke my water at 4 cm.  If you are delivering at Prentice...just be sure to ask lots of questions and know what they are doing and why.  They have lots of standing orders that the just automatically order.  Sure it is a great facility-very shiny and new-but they are a baby birthing factory for sure...make sure to stay informed.

Yes, I am delivering at Prentice! Your post was very, very enlightening for me. I'd be interesting in learning about more of your experience, do you mind if I PM you?

• imageMarinewife81:
    I'm doing the Foley bulb insertion on Monday. They said they'll leave it in until Tuesday morning (unless it falls out sooner) and then when I get to the hospital on Tuesday morning they'll break my water. No mention of pitocin, and my doctor doesn't like to use it anyway.

All the best of luck with your birth! I'll look forward to reading your birth story and hearing about the foley.

• imageJG362009:
    I had a foley bulb induction. It failed.  I'm not saying it was because of the foley bulb, but it's strongly disfavored (with the exception of my OB) at the hospital I delivered at because of the cervical ripening agents, it's the only drug-free one and there's a general consensus that the prostaglandins are what actually put you into labor.  The foley bulb only mechanically dilates your cervix.  Yeah, it gets you to 3-4, but only because a  weighted bulb had to shove its way out of your cervix.  And, it really, really hurts.  I had mine without pit though. All the best to you.   

Thanks for your response. May I ask what part of it hurt? Was it just the insertion or the entire time it was in? My doc said that since she does the pitocin at the same time, I could request an epidural from the get-go. Would you think this would help counteract any pain from the foley?

• imagejfayerman:
    imagemrsashby:

Are you delivering at Prentice?  Sounds like you might be.  I delivered there with my first.  They are very aggressive about their inductions and very controlled...by manually dilating you they take the guess work out of if the cervidil etc will work.

Yes, I am delivering at Prentice! Your post was very, very enlightening for me. I'd be interesting in learning about more of your experience, do you mind if I PM you?

oh, sure-ask me anything!  Although, how do I recieve a PM?  I will try to figure that out!-Oh wait I see where to check....

• imagejfayerman:

imageJG362009:
    I had a foley bulb induction. It failed.  I'm not saying it was because of the foley bulb, but it's strongly disfavored (with the exception of my OB) at the hospital I delivered at because of the cervical ripening agents, it's the only drug-free one and there's a general consensus that the prostaglandins are what actually put you into labor.  The foley bulb only mechanically dilates your cervix.  Yeah, it gets you to 3-4, but only because a  weighted bulb had to shove its way out of your cervix.  And, it really, really hurts.  I had mine without pit though. All the best to you.   

Thanks for your response. May I ask what part of it hurt? Was it just the insertion or the entire time it was in? My doc said that since she does the pitocin at the same time, I could request an epidural from the get-go. Would you think this would help counteract any pain from the foley?

The insertion was not that bad.  My OB used a speculum and it just took awhile because she said I was barely one and it was difficult to place.  The way they did mine was that they taped the end to my leg and kept on putting more and more tension on it. Anytime I would move or walk, and especially when I went to the bathroom, my entire body would convulse and quiver because of the pressure on my cervix.  It was placed at 9am and didn't fall out until after 7pm, so it was a long day of intense shaking anytime I would move.  I never had an epidural, but I'm guessing that it would probably help with the pain.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"