1st Trimester

Progesterone cream

Does anyone use progesterone cream? My doctor gave it to me to extend my luteal phase and told me if I became pregnant to keep using it. I'm curious how common this is?

Re: Progesterone cream

• Progesterone cream doesn't have enough progesterone in it to do anything. I believe the one from GNC has 5 per ounce. 

Also, it's not regulated. 

I used B-Complex for my LP issues.  

• image EmjayTheBanned:

Progesterone cream doesn't have enough progesterone in it to do anything. I believe the one from GNC has 5 per ounce. 

I agree. The cream is FDA-approved for ladies dealing with menopause issues, it doesn't cut it for TTC issues. My RE had me on an RX-strength pessary of progesterone. (FYI--Because that dose can stave off AF, I had to do a blood PG test before stopping it each month for a new cycle)

How short is your LP? If it is 9 days or less and you've been TTC for a year I would move toward doing the whole battery of IF testing and seeing an RE.  If it is more than 9 days it should be long enough to get the job done (save for the case of late implantation), but also look into testing after the one year mark. My LP was 7-14 days, but normally on the 8-11 day scale. I used B-complex without luck, but was later DXed with diminished ovarian reserve, so no surprise that herbal remedies didn't help.

ETA- I just realized that you are actually PG and not just TTC. Sorry about that. If you genuinely need the progesterone to sustain a PG, I don't think the OTC strength will cut it. REs give much higher doses to support PG. But, I don't want to sow seeds of doubt or fear in you. This is a question that you and your dr need to work out based on your personal health issues. I would call then dr and ask your questions.

• i am taking crinone (progesterone vag suppository) right now. i was dx with luteal phase defect. my lp was about 7 days long. so  i had to take it every month after i ovulated until i either got my period or had a neg pg blood test. i had two m/c with out it. i am now 4 1/2 weeks pg and i have to take it for the first 12-13weeks. i also had a friend who just had to do the same thing. hope this helps
  • image pixieprincss:

ETA- I just realized that you are actually PG and not just TTC. Sorry about that. If you genuinely need the progesterone to sustain a PG, I don't think the OTC strength will cut it. REs give much higher doses to support PG. But, I don't want to sow seeds of doubt or fear in you. This is a question that you and your dr need to work out based on your personal health issues. I would call then dr and ask your questions.

I don't think the ticker was there when I first answered.  

Knowing you're pregnant, if you are on the cream, as weak as it is, stay on it for now.   Any drop in your progesterone could cause an M/C.  Especially this early.