Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

saved a toddlers life today

I found the poor thing in the middle of a busy residential street on my way back to work. So I park my car as fast as I could and ran and grabbed him. A lady that lives on the corner came out of her house becuase she saw me park out front. I sternly ask her if he is hers and she says no. I think she was almost as heartbroken as I was. She had a few kids too. So I see that a few houses down there are some people outside so I walk over and ask them. The minute I asked I knew he was her child becuase he looked just like her.

So I proceed to ask her if he is hers, which she just replies Yes. I glare at her and say "I found him playing in the street by himself" and walk away. If I stayed any longer I would have flipped out. As I am walking away she says Thank You. I yelled out my meanest "Your Welcome" I think I have ever done.

My heart is beating out my chest right now. I have never felt so much for a child I have never known. I keep thinking he is the same age as Preslea.......I have almost broke out in tears a few times. I just thank the Lord Almighty I was paying attention to what I was doing today.

Re: saved a toddlers life today

• Oh how scary! I am glad you were there. I have hard of this happening when kids are able to open the door and get out of the house. Scary!
  • It's lucky for him you were there!  I wonder if he snuck out of somewhere?
  • time to make a phone call to child protective services.
  • image krmlaw:
    time to make a phone call to child protective services.

Really! The child could have opened a door and snuck out on his own. I have heard of this happening a lot! The mother was probably just as horrified as the OP. Calling CPS is no joke!

OP, that little guy was lucky you found him!

• image kit443:
    Oh how scary! I am glad you were there. I have hard of this happening when kids are able to open the door and get out of the house. Scary!

This was just a case of a mother not paying attention. She was outside with her other kids getting ready for a garage sale. I can understand a kid just getting away, but she didn't even see me walk up with him until I was right infront of her.

• would have to know more of her reaction, but yes, if she really didnt seem to care like OP indicated, yeah i would call cps in a minute. maybe that would scare her into caring a bit more.

accidents happen and kids get away all the time, but IMHO, if a parent doesnt seem to care about their kid wandering off into a busy street, that is a HUGE problem. maybe too harsh, but no tolerance for not caring.

• Wow... if it was me that lady would have had an earful.  Although its probably best you walked away!  That goes right up there with leaving your kid in a hot car... people are so stupid sometimes.  Some people just shouldn't reproduce...
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I also think you should call CPS (or the police), mainly just to get it documented. They won't remove the beby for one time, but what if this isn't the first time but rather the fourth or fifth? I've heard too many stories as a foster mom.
    TTC since January 2007 -Dx Stage IV endo - 1 removed tube
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Just hanging out!
  • Geez, i think you were a bit harsh on the lady.  Ds just learned how to open the locked screen door this week.  How did i know?  I was cooking dinner and I looked over to see him on the other side of the door on the step.  It took less than a minute and I was in eyesight of him.

Shiit happens.  I'm glad you helped the girl out, but don't be so quick to judge.

• image fredalina:
    I also think you should call CPS (or the police), mainly just to get it documented. They won't remove the beby for one time, but what if this isn't the first time but rather the fourth or fifth? I've heard too many stories as a foster mom.

Totally agreed - I have seen to much as an EI provider.  It might be nothing (and it takes a LOT to get their attention) but it might be a repeat pattern.

Related - I was at the part yesterday and all of a sudden a 4yo showed up - sweatshirt, long pants, NO shoes, NO parent.  My autism alarms went off with his behavior, too, and I thought he might have escaped his house.  I was ready to call the police when I finally found his mom sitting at a picnic table farrrrrr behind me.  Seriously, I thought I was going to be on the news for a minute there.  Yikes! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image image
  • I think a call to social services is in order. Seriously. This is really important.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • How scary!  I probably would have called the cops to come take him home just so there was a record of the incident.  I guess it could've been an accident, but there still should be a record of it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • image Echowysp:

Geez, i think you were a bit harsh on the lady.  Ds just learned how to open the locked screen door this week.  How did i know?  I was cooking dinner and I looked over to see him on the other side of the door on the step.  It took less than a minute and I was in eyesight of him.

Shiit happens.  I'm glad you helped the girl out, but don't be so quick to judge.

I agree.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I totally would have called the cops. the woman didn't realize her kid was missing and when a stranger walked up carrying her child saying he was in the street she still didn't react. totally abnormal not to freak out after hearing your child was in a busy street.
  • Amazing! You were in the right place at the right time!

• image fredalina:
    I also think you should call CPS (or the police), mainly just to get it documented. They won't remove the beby for one time, but what if this isn't the first time but rather the fourth or fifth? I've heard too many stories as a foster mom.

Agreed. I used to be an intake investigator for CPS and we got this call frequently. Most of the time it was just checking to make sure the parents had made a plan on how to prevent this or if needed, educating them on this. Sometimes its a pattern and has happened multiple times and there could be some other issues (drug use, mental health, etc) that need to be addressed. I'm now a probation officer so I have also seen these cases where police were called, charges filed, etc and IMO its better handled by CPS.

Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13