Baby Showers

Poll: Post-recession baby showers

Would you have a ?post-recession? baby shower?

(Post-recession: scaled back baby showers to accommodate your friends and family suffering from the poor economy)

[Poll]

Re: Poll: Post-recession baby showers

• Where's the special snowflake option? Yes, I had my shower during a recession, but even if I hadn't I wouldn't expect most (if any) people to by me a $500 gift. Were there friends/family that did a smaller gift than they might have? Probably but I didn't notice since I wasn't expecting the moon from everyone. There are always people who are in different financial positions, no matter the economy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC#2 October 2011. June 2012 diagnosed with mild PCOS and both tubes blocked.
    10/1/12 miracle BFP 11/12/12 missed m/c (9w2d), baby stopped growing at 7 weeks
    1/16/13 BFP, EDD 9/27/13, m/c 1/19/13
    imagephoto rainbowleavesbadge-1_zpsa9246b63.jpg
    2/12/13 BFP, EDD 10/25/13 Please stick little one
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image deltagirl79:
    Where's the special snowflake option? Yes, I had my shower during a recession, but even if I hadn't I wouldn't expect most (if any) people to by me a $500 gift. Were there friends/family that did a smaller gift than they might have? Probably but I didn't notice since I wasn't expecting the moon from everyone. There are always people who are in different financial positions, no matter the economy.

This.

I selected "no" because I'd never call my babyshower a post-recession baby shower and wouldn't want the hostess to refer to it that way either.  I never expect anyone at a shower to buy me something worth more than $50 (and usually we're looking at $20-30 from most) so the comparison question was just weird.  They are gifts.  You gracefully accept whatever someone could afford/think to get you.

"If you can't say something nice, shut the hell up!"
    - Paula Deen to 104.1 KRBE's Producer Eric 9/17/2011
  • SS, seriously. How would you word this on the invite? Will the Bump start posting suggested poems for this? (Seeing as so many people on the knot/nest/bump are fans of rhyme).

$500 breast pump? The most expensive gift I've ever bought for a baby shower was a car seat, we used a 20% off BRU coupon and the cost was divided amongst 5 hostess! 

• Where are you finding a $500 breast pump, and how big of douches do you think your posters are that they would expect someone to buy such an item for them?

My friends and family have nothing to do with the scale of the shower- the one person planning it does. Everyone else is free to spend whatever their budget allows and that they feel like spending. If it's $100, great. If it's $5, great. I would never expect anyone to go into debt for a baby shower- regardless of the economy.

"People seem to couple an inordinate amount of stupidity with extreme laziness." ~ A wise interwebz friend.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I suppose I had a post recession baby shower... and only a year after my mid recession wedding. Our timing may be terrible, but these were celebrations, not gift collection gatherings. We told our wedding guests that the best gift would be for everybody to dance at the reception, and felt the same way about the baby shower. Well, there was no dancing, but I wanted to spend time surrounded with women who are nearly as excited as I am!

It's hard to always predict when our life changing events will occur (and whether they will coincide with optimal economic events) I say we lose the expectations and enjoy the party!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, I think you guys make this stuff up. I have never heard of this "post-recession shower" idea. I also didn't vote because neither of your options apply to the reality of what most people expect for a shower.
  • image rayskit10:
    Honestly, I think you guys make this stuff up. I have never heard of this "post-recession shower" idea. I also didn't vote because neither of your options apply to the reality of what most people expect for a shower.

this

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My shower was in February and the reigstry consisted of small items. I would never dream of asking people to pay for the car seat, furniture or any big ticket item. This is my first child and it is our responsibility to provide for him. I registered for smaller things that I would need later on like bibs, burp clothes, sheets, boppy covers and stuff like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Something a little less harsh than the "no" answer, but for me, no, we are not waiting until post recession.  We're in Detroit, so MANY of the people we know, including our own immediate families, have been directly affected by the recession with lay offs, but everyone we know is also keeping their heads above water and still hosting and attend parties on occasion.  What we are doing is registering for the most affordable things possible, and I'm okay with people declining the invitation to the shower if they can't manage it.  We don't expect to get hoards of gifts or super expensive ones, but we have a number of people who expressed interest in a shower for us already.
  • this poll makes no sense to the average person. i would never expect my good friends and family to spend that type of money on my shower gift.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards