2nd Trimester

Did you manage to drink the water for u/s?

I have my big u/s tomorrow and I really don't think I'm going to be able to hold in all that water!!!  I can barely go an hour without using the bathroom and now I have to drink 40 oz in the hour and a half before without going?!  Eek!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Did you manage to drink the water for u/s?

• Oh wow, I didn't need to drink water for my 20 week U/S.  So no, didn't have to hold it in.

The only time I had to drink a ton of water was my last pregnancy.  I had Fifth Disease, so I had to get an U/S at 10 weeks.  They didn't want to do it vaginally if they didn't have to, so they told me to drink water.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • 40 oz?  Yikes.  They told me 25 oz.  I have no idea how I'm going to be able to hold it.  I don't remember having to drink before my anatomy scan with DD. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 40 oz's is ridiculous... don't be worried if you can't make it.  Just do the best you can.  If you half that with warm water starting an hour before you should be fine...

And ask the sonographer as SOON as you get in the room if the water was necessary and ask if you can go to the bathroom.  Usually the only thing they need it for is to look at your cervix and that only takes about 30 seconds, so she should be able to let you pee right after she looks at your cervix.

Good luck... sorry I don't know why some places insist on torturing people.

Never attribute to malice, that which can be explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor
  • The tech I had told me that I needed to empty my bladder before I went in sense I would be in there for an hour and a half (they had an intern that was going to get a bit of "hands on" time in). The only time I remember needing a full bladder was at the 8w U/S, because they were using the vaginal one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They never told me to do that with my first or with this one (I go in 2 weeks for the u/s). Also, they have me pee in a cup and do my weight and bp before the u/s anyway.

• image jmcdow:

40 oz's is ridiculous... don't be worried if you can't make it.  Just do the best you can.  If you half that with warm water starting an hour before you should be fine...

And ask the sonographer as SOON as you get in the room if the water was necessary and ask if you can go to the bathroom.  Usually the only thing they need it for is to look at your cervix and that only takes about 30 seconds, so she should be able to let you pee right after she looks at your cervix.

Good luck... sorry I don't know why some places insist on torturing people.

Ah, now that you mention this, I do remember having to drink water, but they let me go pee a few minutes into the scan.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had an ultrasound right before I was 9 weeks. I had to drink 32 oz. It was funny cause she gave me the full bladder award! hahah. I had to run out as soon as we saw the baby was ok.

I know it was hard then, but now... man. I would just try and drink as much as you can.

DD ~ 4/21/2011
    DD 2.0 ~ 12/30/2013

• image jmcdow:
    Usually the only thing they need it for is to look at your cervix and that only takes about 30 seconds, so she should be able to let you pee right after she looks at your cervix.

They only told me this the second time I went for my anatomy scan!  I wish I had known the first time because the u/s tech was rooting around on my belly for like 45 mins looking for pics she didn't even end up getting and I was lying there on the verge of tears.

They told me to drink 24 oz, but the first time I was told I didn't drink enough so the second time I drank 34 oz and I was DYING to pee.  Thank goodness she let me go after a few seconds.

Unfortunately they still couldn't get LO in the right position so now I have to have a fetal echo, altho at least for that they told me I don't need a full bladder.

• my doc actually said not to drink any water beforehand, although I will prob. drink a little anyways.
    Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker
  • Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have to get a Level 2, and they told me not to worry about eating or drinking restrictions.  No special instructions, just show up on time!
  • image liannemarie82:
    The tech I had told me that I needed to empty my bladder before I went in sense I would be in there for an hour and a half (they had an intern that was going to get a bit of "hands on" time in). The only time I remember needing a full bladder was at the 8w U/S, because they were using the vaginal one.

Actually full bladder is for transabdominal (on outside) and you need an empty bladder for transvaginal (inside).  I am a sonographer and if you have a full bladder on a transvaginal you won't be able to see anything BUT your bladder.

Never attribute to malice, that which can be explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor
  • they had me drain my bladder for both my 8 wk ultra sound and 20 week one.
  • My tech sent me to the bathroom 3 times during my ultrasound because my bladder was getting in the way. They had to look at both babies and do a vaginal U/S to look at my cervix, so it was a long appointment.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• At my 8 wk u/s I was told to drink 40oz. as well.  I did, and had to pee so bad I made DH take me to the appointment 45 minutes early.  Unfortunately, they couldn't see me earlier, and I ended up crying in the waiting room and peeing twice before the appointment.  Once we actually made it inside, they ended up doing a trans vaginal.  So, all that water drinking was pointless.  I hope no one ever has to pee that bad and can't.  It could definitely be used as a form of torture.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker _MG_0566-2 - Copy (2)
  • I didn't have to drink anything. In fact they told me to go to the bathroom before they started. I did have to drink water before my NT but not my anatomy one.
  • That seems insane. I wasn't required to drink anything for my 20 week ultrasound. 40 ounces is even more than I was required to drink for my NT scan. I think you can have a full bladder with much less than 40 ounces if that is what they want. Good luck! I couldn't do it.
  • my OB said nothing about drinking water... which would be crazy if he did cause i think i'd pee on myself and also drinking 40oz of water in an hour and a half would make me sick
  • I did the full bladder for my 13 week which was miserable, and decided to screw it on my 18 week...and it was FINE. I think when your uterus is smaller, the full bladder helps push it up more towards the surface but now that its higher on its own, it should be fine. They push so hard sometimes with the probe I think I would pee myself at this point if I did. In fact, I just sneezed like 5 times and now have to pee....brb!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

• image kmlevine04@gmail.com:
    I did the full bladder for my 13 week which was miserable, and decided to screw it on my 18 week...and it was FINE. I think when your uterus is smaller, the full bladder helps push it up more towards the surface but now that its higher on its own, it should be fine. They push so hard sometimes with the probe I think I would pee myself at this point if I did. In fact, I just sneezed like 5 times and now have to pee....brb!

That's what I told my DH.  If I seriously manage to drink 40 stinking ounces, I am going to sneeze and then I'll be wet and smelly and no one will be happy.

• Ok so here is what I do for ultrasound since my bladder cannont be too full or I pee my pants.  About 2 to 3 hours before the u/s I start drinking a lot of water and pee as needed.  I keep drinking a ton of water like a 100 oz over that period so that my body is saturated and I need to pee every 15 minutes.  And I pee as needed up to 15 prior to the us.  Then by the time I go in my bladder has refiled again and I am not holding it in. I've done it my last 3 u/s and it's worked better then "drink a bunch hold it till I puke" method I was doing before.  The one drawback is I cont. to pee every 15 minutes for the next 2 hours after.
    Hey I just met you, and you're my baby. This is your family, we're kind of crazy...Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (tl9S)Lilypie - (K0aj)
    imageimageimage

• image navy&violet:
    Ok so here is what I do for ultrasound since my bladder cannont be too full or I pee my pants.  About 2 to 3 hours before the u/s I start drinking a lot of water and pee as needed.  I keep drinking a ton of water like a 100 oz over that period so that my body is saturated and I need to pee every 15 minutes.  And I pee as needed up to 15 prior to the us.  Then by the time I go in my bladder has refiled again and I am not holding it in. I've done it my last 3 u/s and it's worked better then "drink a bunch hold it till I puke" method I was doing before.  The one drawback is I cont. to pee every 15 minutes for the next 2 hours after.

LOL.  That's a lot of bathroom runs but it does sound like an effective plan.  Here I go!  3 hours to go!

• image bethy84:

image navy&violet:
    Ok so here is what I do for ultrasound since my bladder cannont be too full or I pee my pants.  About 2 to 3 hours before the u/s I start drinking a lot of water and pee as needed.  I keep drinking a ton of water like a 100 oz over that period so that my body is saturated and I need to pee every 15 minutes.  And I pee as needed up to 15 prior to the us.  Then by the time I go in my bladder has refiled again and I am not holding it in. I've done it my last 3 u/s and it's worked better then "drink a bunch hold it till I puke" method I was doing before.  The one drawback is I cont. to pee every 15 minutes for the next 2 hours after.

LOL.  That's a lot of bathroom runs but it does sound like an effective plan.  Here I go!  3 hours to go!

Good luck!!!

• They told me to drink 32oz.  I drank that or more, but had to let some of it go about 20 minutes before the u/s.  I didn't fully empty my bladder but it was enough to where I could hold it.  Went in to the u/s and the whole time i was so uncomfortable because I had to pee so bad and she was pushing the probe or whatever it is on my bladder.  I ran out right after to pee.  Good Luck.  Don't worry too much about it.
  • I had my monthly check up about an hour before the u/s and my bladder was so full that I couldn't even walk upright b/c it hurt so bad! Luckily the u/s tech noticed how much pain I was in and let me empty my bladder before the scan so I would be comfortable. She was still able to get all the shots she needed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My u/s place only makes you drink water if you're less than 16 weeks, and even then, it's only 16oz.  Forty seems like a ton!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had to drink 24oz an hour before the u/s,  both for my NT scan and the 20 wk anatomy scan (and the follow up at 21wks to get more pictures of his heart).  It was hard holding it in that last time!  I cannot imagine 40oz.  That's just crazy!