January 2011 Moms
Options

Q for those not telling their names

I get the ideas behind not telling your name to your family and friends. Whether you want it to be a surprise or you don't want others opinions, but if a stranger asked you, would you tell?

I ask because there was another PG girl in pilates class. I have been going there for about 9 months and had a class with her twice just because I change up my schedule a lot. When I asked her if they had decided on a name for her son she said they aren't telling people.

I just wondered if you ladies would tell a stranger...just maybe as a way to spill your secret IRL?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Q for those not telling their names

• Options
    Nope.  The whole reason we aren't telling is because I don't want to hear other people's opinions on it.  The most I tell people is that her nickname is Marley.  The hostesses at work made me a name tag for my baby bump and it has "Baby Marley" on it (the other 2 that are pregnant have the names of their babies on them) and when people ask, I still tell them it is just her nickname, that we aren't telling her name.  
  • Options
    I probably would (you know, if we ever actually decide on a name).
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've told a stranger or two, but have told other strangers that we aren't telling.  Not sure about my logic there? It's not like strangers would tell any of my fam or friends, you know? I guess it is more the opinion thing--I don't want to hear theirs.  I've just slipped a few times and let it out in my excitement!

Married 12.9.06

DD born 1.6.11

TTC #2 since 7.12

• Options
    I'm telling strangers, I don't have a problem with it. I'm more concerned with the opinions of family members more than people who have no impact on my life. I was asked the names last night at my birth class but my mom was there so I couldn't tell even though I want to sooo bad!!
  • Options

I should mention, we haven't decided if we are telling yet or not. I just thought it would be a good "release" to tell a stranger.  I never considered that a stranger would give an opinion on the name. Then again I wouldn't tell someone ever that I didn't like their name so maybe that is naive on my part.

• Options
    I don't think we will tell anybody - or that I will tell strangers either. I have done a trial run on some names that we "sort of like" in response to questions. So far I haven't liked hearing the negativity and its hard enough for us to find names we agree on before somebody shoots them down.
  • Options
    imagesandylou:

I should mention, we haven't decided if we are telling yet or not. I just thought it would be a good "release" to tell a stranger.  I never considered that a stranger would give an opinion on the name. Then again I wouldn't tell someone ever that I didn't like their name so maybe that is naive on my part.

It isn't, we tried this, and we liked hearing it out loud so much we started referring to her as Sara, next thing we knew, it was slipping out in front of others, now it's no longer a secret. At least it's a classic name people don't have too much to say about. My dad doesn't like the last name, but that's because we're not married and he assumed I was a feminist and I'd give her my name instead of his.

• Options
    I probably would if someone asked me. My OB and some random strangers know the baby is a girl and that's it. I have to spill the beans to someone other than family and friends because it's driving me crazy telling people "It's a surprise" all the time. :P

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

His name is on my profile here....so I've shared with all my bump friends....but IRL.....probably wouldn't share with a stranger.

Partly because we live in the same town as my mom, his mom + stepdad, his dad + stepmom, my sister + her boyfriend, his sister + her husband and his younger sister and brother. So while I may not "know" the person....there is too much of a chance that they might "know me" via a family member and we want them to be surprised. Partly because I don't really want other people's opinions. And also partly because I enjoy having something with him that is just for me and DH...his name.

All that being said, our immediate families know that we have a name picked out and aren't telling....but friends/extended family/acquaintances are just told that "we're not sure yet".

Kate & Eric Married 10.10.09

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    i've told one co-worker and it's because she dragged it out of me... otherwise no!!
  • Options

imagealliecarrie41:
    i've told one co-worker and it's because she dragged it out of me... otherwise no!!

this exactly :)

• Options

I wouldn't tell. It's not a stranger's business. It would feel weird to have a stranger know something that my family doesn't know. (Assuming we ever choose a name.)

Also, I don't want random people's opinions. I feel like any stranger who asks the name will not hesitate to share their unsolicited opinion.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Options
    Nope, we aren't telling anyone - not even strangers. If I say it out loud to one person I will be more likely to say it out loud to others...so it is just a secret between us. We don't even use his name around the house...it is rough but I am like the PP, I don't want other opinions.
  • Options
    I haven't shared with anyone. If someone asks, I just tell them that we aren't sharing our names, stranger or not

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageRedZee:

I wouldn't tell. It's not a stranger's business. It would feel weird to have a stranger know something that my family doesn't know. (Assuming we ever choose a name.)

Also, I don't want random people's opinions. I feel like any stranger who asks the name will not hesitate to share their unsolicited opinion.

This for me too!

In fact, a co-worker is making us a baby blanket and today we decided to put his initials on it - I had a hard time even giving those to her!  

• Options

We don't tell ANYONE.  That was my rule, though.  DH didn't want to find out the sex of the baby, so I said that if were weren't allowed to find out, then we were going to keep EVERYTHING a surprise until the big day.  I don't even tell strangers, but that's mostly because I don't want the opinions.  I actually like having the names a surprise, it makes for interesting conversations.  I get to hear what everyone else likes, WITHOUT having to hear what they don't like (like possibly the names we have picked).  

I'm sure that our families will like the names that we picked, it's just fun to keep it from them, and it makes the big day that much more exciting.

Pregnancy TickerimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"